Why did He command it?

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
Why did God command stoning sinners in the old testament?

why is there no more stoning now for christians?

Comments

• good question...i don't know why God chose stoning and not something else...

the reason why we don't stone someone anymore because all of our sins are forgiven if we repent, confess, and take communion... in the old testament... death by stoning was the pushment for adultery which is a sin that will be forgiven if we wash it with the blood of christ.
  • so did those who lived a long time before christ have less chance (?) of being saved? if so is that fair?

• well... remember the samaritan woman?? she was "married" to a lot but was never stonned...

i think ur question is related to another topic "God's will"... but its not us to judge whether its fair or not...

look at it this way: if God knows that the person will repent and offer the scrifice (OT) as Moses mentioned... then He'll wait, but if He sees that there is no use of this person... then He leaves her/him to be stonned... just like the samaritan women... God didn't allow anyone to touch her because she will become a great saint and be a martyr with her two sons!
  • How do you know she was a martyr and that she had two sins?

Do Jews kill anyone today by stoning? if not , why?

In the old testament why was david not stoned for commiting adultery with Bathsheba (?) ?

Before Christ were all those people stoned for commiting adultery unrepentant? was there really no chance for them to be saved if they lived longer?

• lol

about the samaritan woman... el taqleed tells us that she ended up being a martyr with her two sons. she died when they threw her down a well...

she meet Jesus by a well and she died in a well :)

they also have a movie now made about her, its pretty good... i watched it, but they don't make her die in a well for some reason as what el taqleed mentions.... not sure why that is :D

Do Jews kill anyone today by stoning? if not , why?

without living with them... and off the top of my head... i would say NO, they don't kill anyone today by stoning... we don't know what they do behind the scenes (not trying to judge or anything).
    if they start killing someone now by stoning, ppl would get shoot to death before even lifting the first rock off the ground :D we are in the 21st century now!

In the old testament why was david not stoned for commiting adultery with Bathsheba (?) ?

i'm no expert in the OT so my answer will not be as good as an answer u might get from someone else... but David repented after that and he left us wonderfull psalms about repentance i.e. psalm 50 which we say all the time. so God did see him repenting so God saved him from being stoned...

Before Christ were all those people stoned for commiting adultery unrepentant? was there really no chance for them to be saved if they lived longer?

i don't think anyone can answer that... its God that judge our hearts and say what will happen... i'm no god.

hope i answered ur questions!
  • [quote author=AnbaBola link=board=1;threadid=4766;start=0#msg65154 date=1166535879]
    lol

about the samaritan woman... el taqleed tells us that she ended up being a martyr with her two sons. she died when they threw her down a well...

she meet Jesus by a well and she died in a well :)

they also have a movie now made about her, its pretty good... i watched it, but they don't make her die in a well for some reason as what el taqleed mentions.... not sure why that is :D

i would really, reaaally want to know where in our tradition says that the samiritan woman got 2 kids and was killed. please just give me a source because i really don't know anything about this. all we know is that after the whole talk with Christ (mentioned in the gospels, she went to the city and preach to "the Person who told here everything she did."
  • i would really, reaaally want to know where in our tradition says that the samiritan woman got 2 kids and was killed. please just give me a source because i really don't know anything about this. all we know is that after the whole talk with Christ (mentioned in the gospels, she went to the city and preach to "the Person who told here everything she did."

abouna yacob ghalay from upstate mentioned that during one of his sermons... i personnally don't know where it is, but i'll ask him for you and will let you know ;)
  • [quote author=AnbaBola link=board=1;threadid=4766;start=0#msg65164 date=1166563439]

i would really, reaaally want to know where in our tradition says that the samiritan woman got 2 kids and was killed. please just give me a source because i really don't know anything about this. all we know is that after the whole talk with Christ (mentioned in the gospels, she went to the city and preach to "the Person who told here everything she did."

abouna yacob ghalay from upstate mentioned that during one of his sermons... i personnally don't know where it is, but i'll ask him for you and will let you know ;)

please do so. acuitly i might meet him soon. but am sure your closer. thankss
  • please do so. acuitly i might meet him soon. but am sure your closer. thankss

lol... why don't u come visit us on sunday then??
  • [quote author=AnbaBola link=board=1;threadid=4766;start=0#msg65169 date=1166564878]

please do so. acuitly i might meet him soon. but am sure your closer. thankss

lol... why don't u come visit us on sunday then??

well let's just say i have my own church that i can't leave, especially on a Sunday.