proper forms of entertainment

Hi everybody!

What are the proper forms of entertainment for a Christian person. How can a Christian express his happiness or joy without sinning.

Thank you for your help. God bless you.

Comments

• sam,
    you have posed a interesting questions
    [quote author=samuel.m link=board=4;threadid=4743;start=0#msg64686 date=1165761353]
    What are the proper forms of entertainment for a Christian person.

depends what you like, could you possibly elaborate further on your question

[quote author=samuel.m link=board=4;threadid=4743;start=0#msg64686 date=1165761353]
    How can a Christian express his happiness or joy without sinning.

treat yourself, like go out shopping, eat unhealthy food, again it depends on what your into, not all things will lead to sin, i assume while you wrote that, that you were thinking of dancing
  • [quote author=samuel.m link=board=4;threadid=4743;start=0#msg64686 date=1165761353]

well how can a Christian express happiness or joy? i can tell u that the greatest joy comes from serving.. putting others before yourself.. to a Christian, service is something ull get the most joy out of.. i dont think anything beats tht but with temporary joy as kerestina ses thers lots of things u can do.. shopping, ice skating, bowling.. uve got lots of things that u can do tht u can hav sum fun with tht arent wrong.. good luck

+FROG+
  • hello!

this question originated form the idea of dancing. I have never thought of dancing or going to clubs as a sin. yet I have evaluated the environment this entertainment provides people with and decided not to do them again. However I am still wondering if dancing with your wife or with your family members at home is till considered as sin. I am also wondering if swimming is a sin too. I mean going to the swimming pool. I love this sport for it gives me great joy and peace. I go to the swimming pool for the purpose of swimming only. I do my set number of laps and go home. what confuses me is that you do have wear swimming suit and I bet other people do look at you form the time you get out of the changing room and reach a pool. people will look and some may have lustful thoughts ( even if you are a woman). when I go to the pool a just want to swim and go home and I try to avoid people looking.
  • [quote author=samuel.m link=board=4;threadid=4743;start=0#msg64814 date=1165926361]
    this question originated form the idea of dancing.

i thought so

[quote author=samuel.m link=board=4;threadid=4743;start=0#msg64814 date=1165926361]

I have never thought of dancing or going to clubs as a sin.

what makes you say that?

[quote author=samuel.m link=board=4;threadid=4743;start=0#msg64814 date=1165926361]

I have evaluated the environment this entertainment provides people with and decided not to do them again.

good idea

However I am still wondering if dancing with your wife or with your family members at home is till considered as sin.

See my personal view is that dancing with family is ok, dancing with your wife too is ok too but it may lead to sin within the marriage

I am also wondering if swimming is a sin too. I mean going to the swimming pool. I love this sport for it gives me great joy and peace. I go to the swimming pool for the purpose of swimming only. I do my set number of laps and go home. what confuses me is that you do have wear swimming suit and I bet other people do look at you form the time you get out of the changing room and reach a pool. people will look and some may have lustful thoughts ( even if you are a woman). when I go to the pool a just want to swim and go home and I try to avoid people looking.

if swimming helps in stress release or whatever that’s fine, don’t you do laps in the morning, its always quite then anyways as long as your intentions are good I don’t really see a problem. It seems that your conscience of creating lust, but don’t dwell on it too much
  • dancing with your wife too is ok too but it may lead to sin within the marriage

what do u mean by that kerestina?
  • good question anabola, lol i dunno y i said that, but im thinking along the lines of marriages becomes fake and focused on lust rather than love does that make sense?
    so if your mrs is dancing in front of you, depending on the dance moves it must be creatiing something, and sex is no toy, its a gift by God
  • i agree, sex is no toy and its a gift of god. but the two married couple are one after marriage, and so sex is not considered a sin between them.
  • [quote author=AnbaBola link=board=4;threadid=4743;start=0#msg64819 date=1165930764]
    i agree, sex is no toy and its a gift of god. but the two married couple are one after marriage, and so sex is not considered a sin between them.

well yea..but i think shes saying that lust is
  • lust to ur own wife??? that's something i never thought about!!
  • [quote author=AnbaBola link=board=4;threadid=4743;start=0#msg64819 date=1165930764]
    sex is not considered a sin between them.

thank you marmar you understood me lol, i wasnt implying that sex in a marriage is a sin

[quote author=AnbaBola link=board=4;threadid=4743;start=0#msg64819 date=1165930764]
    lust to ur own wife??? that's something i never thought about!!

sounds like a smart ass comment but ill still reply anyways ::) it depends on the reasons, ppl have married initially based on lust.
    Lust can even exist within marriage
  • [quote author=AnbaBola link=board=4;threadid=4743;start=0#msg64845 date=1165968124]
    lust to ur own wife??? that's something i never thought about!!

I agree with anbabola, There is no such a thing as Lust in marriage..........!
    How can that be???
    If this wasn't a Christian website, I would explain WHY there is no lust in marriage.......
    Main reason is because, THE HOLY SPIRIT MAKES THE COUPLES ONE! HOW CAN THERE BE LUST WITH THE PERSON YOU ARE LIVING WITH???? She is a wife to a husband, and he is a husband to a wife....!!
    They know every little thing "ON" eachothers!
    There is no lust between 2 people who love eachother, because Love is not about lust, is about how good of a person you are with...... not how good their body is....!!
    Marriage is a holy sacrament one of the 7 holy sacraments of the Coptic Orthodox faith...............
    How can it be a bad thing??????

Pray for me,
  • i guess i'm not the only one... thank you bentBABAyasooa`

look at it this way kerestina ... AFTER marriage... how can u have lust to YOURSELF??

i wasn't trying to be a smart $%*... sorry... i was just saying what's on my mind...
  • [quote author=bentBABAyasooa` link=board=4;threadid=4743;start=0#msg64848 date=1165970635]
    Marriage is a holy sacrament one of the 7 holy sacraments of the Coptic Orthodox faith...............
    How can it be a bad thing??????

i didnt mention nor did i state that marriage being one of the holy sacraments was a bad thing

when i was thinking about lust and marriage i wasnt thinking specifically of the coptic nation or the christian population, it was a broader view
    but in saying that i agree that when people marry they become one flesh. If you lust for someone, your love for them will grow weaker and weaker as physical and emotional pleasure replaces love. If you love someone you will have love for them, not lust, in your heart, mind, and soul.

would you not suggest that perhaps lust is one of the reasons for failure in any marriage besides abuse etc. a good number of coptic couples are divorcing, why do you think that is?
  • I am realy BUSY right now, but i will be free tomorrow!!
    ;)
    Hold on to that question kerestina.
  • would you not suggest that perhaps lust is one of the reasons for failure in any marriage besides abuse etc. a good number of coptic couples are divorcing, why do you think that is?

Lust outside of marriage is the source of divorce...men or women can turn to someone other than their husband/wife and that would be considered lust. However, there is no such thing as lust in the marriage itself...the husband and wife become one...his body now belongs to her and her body belongs to him (there is a verse about that but I don't really have the time to look for it right now). Lust is when you lust for someone that doesn't belong to you...one that you are not one with...but it's perfectly ok to want your wife and for her to want you.
  • Aghaby every one

About forms of intertainment i would say listening to songs, taraneem is one of sort of songs for god .
    but also nothing wrong with listening to none christian songs as long as it doesn't have any bad words or it doesn't talk about a body of a girl (not even her lips)

And nothing wrong with dancing david danced in the old testement but not club dancing is what i mean.i'd love to learn ball room dancing one day.

+++++All things are lawful unto me, but all things are not expedient: all things are lawful for me, but I will not be brought under the power of any.+++++

that is the roule of sin or not a sin in our church.
    Who said swimming is a sin???????????????? we are open minded not like our non christian friends in egypt who beleive that taking a shower in a bath tub is a 7aram because mr 7amada didn't have one.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

you can be liking to sing christian songs all the time because you like to show of your singing voice not because you mean the words (that my friends is a sin)

and about lust in marriage yes it does exist Kristina and by the way you have some wonderfull thinking god bless you.
    now i can't explain that in public if you want to know how message me and i will answer you back but make sure your profile shows that you are over 20 years old.
  • [quote author=little phareo link=board=4;threadid=4743;start=15#msg65128 date=1166486221]
    and about lust in marriage yes it does exist Kristina and by the way you have some wonderfull thinking god bless you.
    now i can't explain that in public if you want to know how message me and i will answer you back but make sure your profile shows that you are over 20 years old.

thankx lil phareo, im slighlty divided, i believe lust can exist if the marriage is weak but not always and i like what Marianne87 but im interested to hear her your views on it so expect a pm soon ;)
  • [quote author=kerestina link=board=4;threadid=4743;start=15#msg65174 date=1166571534]

thankx lil phareo, im slighlty divided, i believe lust can exist if the marriage is weak but not always and i like what Marianne87 but im interested to hear her your views on it so expect a pm soon ;)

Any time i will be honered don't you wish we have a chat room here?
    lets ask the admins for it .
  • and about lust in marriage yes it does exist

No it doesn't. Unless it's with someone outside of marriage then you can't call it lust. I am not really sure what you are talking about and I am not over 20 so you are welcome to say it here...because I am willing to argue it with you if you want...but all I know is that there is no such thing as lust inside a marriage...unless of course you have a proof from the bible then I will be able to accept it.
  • Hi Marrian

++++Then said he unto the disciples, It is impossible but that offences will come: but woe unto him, through whom they come!It were better for him that a millstone were hanged about his neck, and he cast into the sea, than that he should offend one of these little ones.++++

+++Woe unto the world because of offences! for it must needs be that offences come; but woe to that man by whom the offence cometh!+++

I think there is lust in marriage but many of young coptics don't know about wich is good because it may causes offences .and i don't want it to be through me, read luke 17: verses 1 and 2. and Matthew 18:7

I beleive that we should all be educated about sex, but at a sertain age .Some people mature younger than others and you may be one of them but how would i know how useful this information is to you.Main while i would rather u learn about it from a christian point of view than from the pregnant 18 years old girl in your class lol.

well i explained it more to kristina in a pm and i'm sure she can explain it better than me to u .

++++++++Peace to u all+++++++++++
  • ok you are talking about one of the two sinning with someone else...when we are talking about lust in marriage it means between both the husband and the wife..and there is no such thing as that...I understand what you are saying very well...but again don't call it lust in marriage if it's not between the husband and the wife.
  • It is between husband and wife Marrian .And that's all i can tell you .

So what do you like to do as a form of intertainment????
  • Marianne87,
    what about marriages that stemmed from lust not love???
  • [quote author=kerestina link=board=4;threadid=4743;start=0#msg64812 date=1165912878]
    sam,
    you have posed a interesting questions
    What are the proper forms of entertainment for a Christian person.

depends what you like, could you possibly elaborate further on your question

treat yourself, like go out shopping, eat unhealthy food, again it depends on what your into, not all things will lead to sin, i ***ume while you wrote that, that you were thinking of dancing

Eating unhealthy food is hardly a way to express joy.. Food high in sugar may give you a temporary 'buzz' but will leave you tired and sick afterwards. Food high in fats will also result in nausea. Overeating this kind of food will also cause damage to your body. That's a sin.

I think healthy food makes you feel much better as does exersise as it releases endorphins in your body and they make you happy !

As for the lust within a marriage, I believe it does exist. I believe sex should be kept holy and not simply a toy for fulfiling temporary fleshly desire, even if it's with you wife.
  • [quote author=Hizz_chiilld link=board=4;threadid=4743;start=15#msg65349 date=1167005450]
    Eating unhealthy food is hardly a way to express joy.. Food high in sugar may give you a temporary 'buzz' but will leave you tired and sick afterwards. Food high in fats will also result in nausea. Overeating this kind of food will also cause damage to your body. That's a sin.

I think healthy food makes you feel much better as does exersise as it releases endorphins in your body and they make you happy !

ummmm..... very interesting, so eating unhealthy is a sin, well im a pretty big sinner, coz wen ive had a hard day or wanna treat myself i eat junk food, i think enhancing your spiritual life is more important, unless you have no choice but to eat healthy food its not really in my eyes a treat

but as i mentioned before its an individual thing, people can choose as they please although one needs to consider if it is beneifting them
  • Healthy food doesn't have to taste bad.. & Eating junk food itself is not a sin. In sensible ammounts it's fine.. but bingeing on junk food regularly isn't. [For the obvious reasons]
  • Hey guys/Girls,

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that I agree and disagree with both sides of the marriage/lust fence. So what do I think?

Well, what did our priests and servants say?

They did say that there is no lust with in a marriage as such. So in other words, the sexual desires a man has for his wife and vice versa are holy in a marriage, however [glow=red,2,300](BIG FAT RED WARNING SIGN)[/glow]

In the presence of selfish love, which sees to please only the self and not the needs of the partner also, these thoughts and actions can become unholy, as the object of sex becomes purely an exercise of self gratification and not one of expressing love.

Consider this story:

A famous Australian comedian was still engaged to lovely young woman, when he found out that she had cancer. Now what did he do? He married her, and took on the responsibility of looking after her despite his overwhelmingly career. A little over year later, this man carries the coffin of his beloved sole mate down the isles of the church, while her family and friends bode her farewell.

It's quite a touching story, but you may be pressed to find the relevance of it to our topic. Quite simply, this man defined what true love is by remaining committed to his loved one (even when an engagement is easily broken), and taking on the burden of looking after her. This is situation tests the extent of love in a relationship, whether it is superficial or holistic. Even though the woman was well enough to look after herself and was able to engage in normal day to day activities, the love the man must have had for her, to happily take the risk of losing her, was great.

Saint Joseph the Righteous married the Blessed Virgin Mary after he knew that she would carry Christ, and that despite having to raise her Child, she would be "off limits" forever. This is also considered to be a form of true love towards your spouse.
    In contrast, Amon, David's son did not love his sister Tamar, but lusted for her, and that was why he hated her after he slept with her.

True love goes beyond physical affection; it flourishes regardless of circumstance, age or beauty.

I hope that this issue is a little clearer now.

Merry Christmas.