New here

edited December 1969 in Introductions
Dear Brothers and Sisters in Christ,

I am new here. Although, as my username suggests I come from an Anglican background, I am actually a catechumen in the British Orthodox Church, which is a small community under the jurisdiction of the Alexandrian Patriarchy.

I have been wonderfully impressed with the Copts I have met in the UK, they seem to bear such a faithful witness to their Faith and to our Incarnate Lord.

I attended the opening of St. George's Coptic Cathedral in Stevenage in September and was moved by the beauty of the service and the whole occasion .

I have long had an interest in Orthodoxy, but to be honest have been put off it in the past by the attitude of the Greek and Russian Orthodox Churches in the UK; they have seemed very exclusive and seem to me to confuse Orthodox praxis with ethnic practices. Then I found the British Orthodox Church and the Copts, who weren't at all like that, but were wonderfully welcoming - and have been, and are, very patient with a newcomer.

I have found great joy in approaching Orthodoxy this way - even though some of my friends who have only ever come across Eastern Orthodoxy are quite sceptical. But all I can say is that 'if by their fruits shall ye know them', I have found the fulness of the faith in the British Orthodox Church. I am a great admirer of Pope Shenouda, whose writings are God-inspired.

I have chosen St. Cyril as my image because of my great love of his works.

I have 'lurked' here for some time, and have found in this site a great resource as I learn more about the Orthodox Church - so it seemed only right to register.

Thank God for the Copts and their faith over so many years and through such trials. :)

In Christ,

Anglican

Comments

• welcome aboard anglican...
    nice to have u here
  • Thank you for this welcome.

Alas, I don't speak Arabic, although I am trying to learn a little Coptic.

The witness of the Copts is awesome, in the real sense of that word! It is such a shame that Pope Shenouda is not better known in the west, he is easily the most impressive Christian leader in the world at the moment - what a sign of God's blessing on the Orthodox Church.

Of course, here in Britain those who know about the Orthodox Church think of Russia and Greece, but now that we have the Coptic Cathedral of St. George, perhaps that will change.

In Christ,

Anglican

• hey welcome to the site...im an old one if i might say myself and i have to catch up with all the new comers..

once again welcome
  • Our dear brother Angilican
    First i would like to welcome you to our humble group.
    And i'm very excited for you to become and orthodoxy,it's hard for one to leave his church and look for the right one.

I also came from an angelican background from my mother's side. nut my father is orthodoxy oh and i went to a catholic school in egypt.
    And that's what made me study a little about the differences, and here what i found out.

Our orthodox church is by the book and the most angelican church you might see.Every thing you see and heare in the mass came from the bible.

That's why it's solid like a rock and i'm glad that you chose it to build your life on it.

I will look forword to here from you again in our lovely forums,asking and answering questions.

and here is the first coptic word you want to learn ....AGHABY...
    means love and you can start and end a message with it

aghaby brother angelican
  • Dear Little Phareo,

Aghaby!
    Many thanks for your welcome. Yes, it is hard to leave the Church one has been in for a long time, but as you say, the Orthodox Church is the rock upon which it is possible to rest and to build one's religious life, and I am glad to have been brought to it.

Your own background sounds very interesting, and how fortunate that your father provided a route into Orthodoxy.

Aghaby.

In Christ,

Anglican

• Welcome. Im george
  • Dear Brothers and Sisters in Christ,

Just a word to say that yesterday, 11 February 2007, I had the joy of being received into the British Orthodox Church, which is, of course, part of the great Coptic Orthodox Church.

Now for Lent!

In Christ,

John
  • John,

we are truly blessed to have u in our midst ;)

• kool u bentebabayasoa and anbabaloa are funny. welcome angelican. pope shenouda is the best and he is fluently in english. oh and coptic is very cool to learn and read. welcome to tthe site. ull luv it.
  • Dear Kerestina and Mahraeel,

:) :) Thank you both so much for your kind welcome. The more I discover about the great Coptic tradition, the more I realise how wonderful a witness the Copts have been to the Faith.

In Christ,

John

• ur rite ggood luck and may god be w/ u john
  • Dear Mahraeel,

:) Many thanks for the welcome. I hope that I will be able to contribute something from time to time to this excellent community here.

In Christ,

John
  • Welcome Anglican.  :)
    Your first post was really nice.
    Sadly, some of those born into the Coptic faith do not realize what a treasure they have been handed. Nice to be reminded by you.
    Happy to hear that you have already been baptized into the faith. :D

p.s. I love seeing the effect of our Church on newcomers!!! ;D
  • Dear God's Kid,

:) That is very kind of you, and if I can help remind anyone here of the great treasure you havem then it is some small service in return for your sharing that treasure with others. I have found the Copts I have met so full of the spirit of Christ. I am hopping to come to Egypt (for the first time) in May. My bishop is coming on a pilgrimage, and I am hoping to come too - can't wait.

In Christ

John
  • if ure dedicaded john, god will surely heklp u
  • [quote author=Anglican link=topic=4761.msg67735#msg67735 date=1171712363]
    Dear God's Kid,

:) That is very kind of you, and if I can help remind anyone here of the great treasure you havem then it is some small service in return for your sharing that treasure with others. I have found the Copts I have met so full of the spirit of Christ. I am hopping to come to Egypt (for the first time) in May. My bishop is coming on a pilgrimage, and I am hoping to come too - can't wait.

In Christ

John

You'll love Egypt.  Despite the many problems there, I felt at peace when I went(maybe just because its my homeland[motherland], I dont know), but it's AWESOME!!!!, especially the monastaries and convents, . . . beyond words. . .! I hope to visit Egypt again soon myself.
    Just make sure you drink lots of water (bottled of course)! :)