Is it a sin to play karate or wrestling as a sport?

edited December 2006 in Faith Issues
Is it a sin to play karate or wrestling as a sport?

karate might help me be less fearful, give me confidence and help me get fit..
I use to enjoy the acting of wrestling.. but it can be dangerous..

What about Karate?

Comments

• I personally do not see anything wrong with Karate. I practice it for many years. I learned how to tame my anger . I also learned how violence can hurt others for life. I was thought that the best way to win a fight is to run away to save a damage to yourself and to the opponent. karate thought me responsibility, discipline and perseverance. All of these help in in keeping my spiritual exercises. Besides, karate is considered one of the healthiest sports. Swimming is the second.
  • [quote author=m&m link=board=1;threadid=4754;start=0#msg64930 date=1166185376]
    Besides, karate is considered one of the healthiest sports. Swimming is the second.

;)
    Soccer as well!
  • For bodily exercise profiteth little: but godliness is profitable unto all things, having promise of the life that now is, and of that which is to come 1 Timothy 4:8
  • Soccer as well!

i guess bentBABAyasoo` was referring to kora sharab if u know what i'm talking about :P
  • [quote author=AnbaBola link=board=1;threadid=4754;start=0#msg64989 date=1166310001]

Soccer as well!

i guess bentBABAyasoo` was referring to kora sharab if u know what i'm talking about :P

Since when ya ostaz ya mohtaram you know what bentBABAyasooa` is referring to and not referring to.....!!!
    Efff.......... haga annoying! :P

Belly Dancing is good too!!!
  • Belly Dancing is good too!!!

3ab ya bent!!!

wait till el sayam is over :P.... JK

belly dancing is not a sport!!
  • hahahhahaa........
    It is a hobby!
    :P
  • isn't belly dancing wrong unless maybe you do it on your own...?

still it might be wrong
  • lets not starting this discussion about belly dancing again, it goes nowhere, there's been a dozen threads on dancing already, why agian?

and i dont think there is anything wrong with karake, it increases your confidence and provides you with a constructive way of expressing yourself, as long as its used in the right way

wrestling ???mmmm i dunno, its ok but there are more appropraite sports
  • Response from Bishop Youssef

What is the churches view on playing Karate? Can I take it as a sport or hobby? Can I join a club that might even have an evil dragon sign? If I do not care about their philosophy/ religion or whatever is it okay? Can I join a club that does not have an evil sign on the karate outfit?

It is commendable that you are concerned about the choices you have before you. Prayer and asking for spiritual advice is the right track to follow. As a rule, any activity that compromises or diverts you from your spiritual path is not worth traveling.

Involvement in sports is generally a good pastime. Sports can help to build teamwork, leadership, and good sportsmanship. Karate is different, in that regard, because it is for the most part an individual sport. To attract and excite customers, some clubs do promote evil logos. It is advised that if this is the sport in which you want to participate, research a facility that does not use negative ads or promotions, neither imposes a particular questionable philosophy.

A background check on the history of Karate identifies it mainly as a self-defense sport which does not employ the use weapons. Martial Arts, in general, include disciplines which exercise physical and mental energy as self-defense or relaxation techniques. The purpose of the symbolic use of animals, such as, the dragon, cheetah, snake, etc., stress the methods used by these animals in battle and for survival.

There is some concern regarding this sport when it goes too far. Participants are deceived about their own ability, becoming self-absorbed, self-sufficient, self-confident, self-reliant, and independent of God. Rather than imitating the gentleness and meekness of Christ, the angels that praise Him, and the saints who trusted in Him, they resort to the tactics of animals. See the real inner strength of the Three Youth (The Book of Daniel) who had the greatest confidence in God. You, too, can be more like them.

“Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego answered and said to the king, “O Nebuchadnezzar, we have no need to answer you in this matter. If that is the case, our God whom we serve is able to deliver us from the burning fiery furnace, and He will deliver us from your hand, O king” (Daniel 3:16-17)…. “Look! He answered, “I see four men loose, walking in the midst of the fire; and they are not hurt, and the form of the fourth is like the Son of God” (Daniel 3:25).

God bless you

Bishop Youssef

Coptic Orthodox Diocese of the Southern USA