1 samuel 17..

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
in verse 55 Saul asks Abner the commander of the army whose son David is... should not Saul have known that he is Jesse's son since David was sent to play on an instrument for Saul when he had a distressing spirit... (Chapter 16) ?

Comments

• ya you're right, interesting. perhaps Saul has bad memory? lol
  • Hey Guys

I think we need to realise that maybe chronological order may not be followed in the book of samuel.

However if it has been followed one must realise that the text does not even actually say that Saul did not know David. It only records that Saul asked, “Whose son is this youth?” (1 Samuel 17:55; cf. vss. 56,58).

It is an assumption to conclude that Saul did not recognize David. The king simply could have been inquiring about David’s family. Since Saul had promised to reward the man who killed Goliath by giving “his father’s house exemption from taxes in Israel” (17:25), Saul might have been questioning David in order to ensure the identity of David’s family.

Furthermore, 18:1 seems to presuppose an extended conversation between the two.."Now when he had finished speaking", which would imply that Saul wanted even more information than just the name of David’s father.

This reference has often been sited as a contradiction in the bible, however until now and forevermore no one will ever prove it is. Let us not be skeptics when it comes to the bible friends!!!

but I think I should be questioning if something does not make sense in the bible

Also its strange or something if he did not recognise david if there (?) is chronological order..

• Forgive me if u took it that way!
  • I agree with hardyakka. King Saul may have known/recognized David, but not known who his father was.

In the Bible, does it actually say that Saul spoke to David or actually got to know who David was when he came to play the harp for him, or did they just get the only boy they knew who played the harp. King Saul may not have got to know David at that time, and that was why he did not know what family he was from.
  • Another explanation could be that the time-gap between when Saul first saw David and the moment in question was such that David's physical development as a youth changed his appearance dramatically (as most of us do in the days of our youth) to the point that the young David of Saul's memory was no longer recogniseable.
  • 1 Samuel 16 (King James Version)
    22And Saul sent to Jesse, saying, Let David, I pray thee, stand before me; for he hath found favour in my sight.

FROM
    http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=1 samuel 16&version=9

So I think he knew Jesse maybe..

I thank everyone who tried to help.. I think I am helped.