Prayer Room

edited December 1969 in Random Issues
Hi,

I haven't been able to contact my FOC to ask him this, so I thought I'd ask here:

In my uni they don't have a chapel for Christians, just a prayer room that can be used by anyone from any religion, and the nearest Orthodox Church is far from the uni.

I know that the Church forbids praying with heretics, and that we should not pray in public. Does that mean I am not allowed use this prayer room if I wanted to pray one of the Hours or something?

Obviously, I would not be joining in prayer with Muslims or Sikhs or Jews, etc. But is even praying in the same room as a heretic/pagan also forbidden?

Your thoughts please,

Thanks.

Comments

• Well, I do not think its forbidden, because you will only pray one of the hours and nothing more (correct?). But however, our fathers the monks taught us that when we pray we go into our rooms and close our doors. I really prefer it that way, the one problem I have in church is that there are people there...
  • I know that the Church forbids praying with heretics,

I think that this means "do not go church with heretics" i.e. go to and participate in a worship service with those outside of the Church. As far as not praying in public, we cannot pray to show off our piety or religiousness. If we do that, that is not real prayer. However, going to the temple (church) to pray does not fall under this (so ISTM), since it is set aside as a place to pray (like the monk's cell, or a prayerroom or corner in the home). Anyway, going to the Divine Liturgy/Mass or one of the offices is automatically public prayer (Liturgy means "Public Service").

In Christ,
    Adam

BTW, what does "FOC" mean?
  • FOC is father of confession akemner

and hey orthodox11, is it necessary that you go to pray in a room? i mean you can just stand in the garden or whereever it's not forbidden right? cos i think it's not be very comfortable going to a room where ppl pray to different gods and beliefs n languages too

otherwise if it's ok with you it's fine because it's not like jews 'cos they tend to be worshiping more from the higenic way u know' we dont say that if you touch a person who is not christian you hv to wash etc etc so i think it's fine
  • I think when we pray...we pray with our hearts...Father Youstus used to just sit by a tree and mediate.... u would say He is day dreaming but He was actually praisin the Lord and praying within Himself...so it is not where you go but pray in your heart...

You can mediate on your bed ....as David the prophet said in His psalms...I shall mediate day and night on my bed ( I think thats how it goes)..so God also knows what we need before we pray...so you donot have to sit or stand in a certain way but you should always pray within yourself...and yes you need to go to an orthodox church ..atleast to take communion...and pray there again lol
  • u r right, he didnt mean he doesnt go to church he said he cant go from uni to church cos it's far n he wanted to pray but i agree with ya