Plan B ???

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
What is the coptic perspective of the Plan B pill?

Comments

• what is that...?
  • + Plan B® is an emergency contraceptive that can still prevent a pregnancy after contraceptive failure or unprotected sex.

+ Plan B® should be taken within 3 days (72 hours) of unprotected sex and can reduce the risk of pregnancy by 89%. But the sooner you take it the more effective it will be.

+ Plan B® is not RU-486 (the abortion pill); it will not work if you are already pregnant.
  • From my knowledge, the Plan B pill is not approved by the Coptic Church as a method of contraceptive, because there is still the POSSIBILITY that it will kill a embryo rather than just the sperm. But I'm not 100% sure.
  • Peace;
    The church doesn't and shouldn't issue an opinion regarding every "medication/treatment/pill/birthcontrol method". But the church sets certain guideline (with a biblical base and understnading) to all sientific methods/techniques/treatments, etc. I believe the understanding is that if something harms an embryo then it's not acceptable. So, we don't have a stand on "Plan B" or whatever the next treatment is called, rather we have an understnading that we live.

• Based on the above post does this mean that it would not necessarily be forbidden by the church to use the newly proposed male contraceptive pill, which iirc, inhibits sperm production?
  • Hey Guys

Morning-after pills operate in a number of ways.

They can prevent or delay ovulation (ie the release of the oocyte from the ovary) and thereby conception is avoided.

Conception is the union of sperm and ovum, forming a new human being.

However, if conception is not avoided, the morning-after pill can induce an abortion by preventing the implantation of the embryo by affecting the lining of the uterus, ie preventing the implantation of a fertilized ovum in the lining of the uterus.

For this reason i think the church will definetly NOT be in favour of its use because as katherine said there is still a high chance of it killing the newly formed embryo.

Further the way these pills are marketed is very misleading........"They are not an emergency contraceptive infact they are closer to being like RU486.....the only difference is u need to use the pills within 72h rather than in the first 7 weeks"

Remember me in your prayers

• [quote author=sidwinder10701 link=board=1;threadid=4290;start=0#msg59183 date=1156109715]

+ Plan B® is not RU-486 (the abortion pill); it will not work if you are already pregnant.

I think u need to check your information.........as i said above if it prevents the implanting of the embryo then that is abortion.....my friend.

Do not be misled by the media.......drug companies are cunning in the way they advertise these products...be very careful!!!!

ps. Drug companies........consider that pregnancy occurs when the ovum attaches to the lining of the uterus......whereas the church considers a female pregnant as soon as the embryo is formed, this is usually a few days before it attaches to the uterus.
  • ummm....i think the safest way is not to get vpregnant if ur not married. plus the church bdoes not approve of that anyway :-\
  • ummm....i think the safest way is not to get vpregnant if ur not married. plus the church bdoes not approve of that anyway

Some married couples do choose to use contraception, and I think I read a while ago in a book by H. H. Pope Shenouda III that he said it's O.k. to use condom's in a marriage.
  • hey i saw this article today

javascript:ol('http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2006/08/23/1156012590847.html';);

kinda relates to the topic

what do u think?

Kristina123

(if u cant access it send me ur email and ill forward it to u)
  • NYTIMES: F.D.A. Approves Broader Access to Next-Day Pill

8/25/06