Created or Born?

edited December 1969 in Coptic Orthodox Church
Are we created or are we born?

For purposes of clarification, when I say "we," I mean human beings in general; however, this question is not intended to inquire about the origins of the body which is obviously born. Rather, I ask this question so to ascertain the origins of what we know to be the soul and the spirit. Seeing as the spirit is eternal while the soul remains mortal, am I safe in assuming that it is our spirits that are created in the image of God, and not our souls?

Also, what exactly does it mean to be created in the image of God... what characteristics does it entail? If God is limitless and incorruptible by his nature, then does that mean that we can supress His image and in so doing, become corrupted? Finally, how did (does) the fall of man effect God's image inside us?

Concerning my initial question, I'm sure we all constantly hear the phrase, "We are all created in the image of God." However, if that is so, then what would be the point of Baptism? If we are indeed created by God's hands in His Holy image, and if God cannot create anything evil (seeing as how evil is not something in itself, but merely the abscence of good) then why is it that we are born with a corrupt nature? Even after Baptism, when two people marry and give birth to a child, why is that child still born with the fallen nature? I remember reading a post about the Immaculate Conception which said (if my memory holds true... which is a long shot, lol) that one of the consequences of man's original sin was the fallen nature and that it is for this reason that original sin cannot be simply wiped away, but rather that the fallen nature has to be overcome. If that is true, then, why, if two people who have overcome their fallen nature procreate, their child will still be born with the fallen nature of mankind?

Summarily, is the spirit created by God or is it born of man?

Comments

• I cannot fully answer all your questions, but I will try what I can.

how did (does) the fall of man effect God's image inside us?

The fall of man corrupts the image of God that he gave us. He gave us the image of purity and holiness, we corrupted it and continue to do so. The more we refrain from sin and sacrifice our bodies the more we show the image of God we are given.

If we are indeed created by God's hands in His Holy image, and if God cannot create anything evil (seeing as how evil is not something in itself, but merely the abscence of good) then why is it that we are born with a corrupt nature?

I answer this question with a question. Which one of our parents was perfect? Which one was able to completely overcome sin and become perfect? Being that all humans are sinners by nature, their offspring inherits the fallen nature.

If that is true, then, why, if two people who have overcome their fallen nature procreate, their child will still be born with the fallen nature of mankind?

Like I said, how can you say they have come the fallen nature? Who has completely overcome the devil? Even the saints who left the whole world and went to the wilderness were tempted by the devil. We commit sins every day, who can deny that? How then can you say that we have overcome the fallen nature?

Summarily, is the spirit created by God or is it born of man?

Everything is created by God (including the spirit), man simply brings forth the body that is to behold the spirit.
  • Thanks for the help Christ4Life, GBU :)

But, does anybody have an answer to my first question?

Pray for me
  • be are both created in our mothers womb and then born through her..
  • "why" i was gonna say that!! ;)