being a singer or famous is it ok

edited December 1969 in Random Issues
is it ok i mean something like nancy ajram if u guys kno who im talking about the lebanese singer mashoura in masr :D ;D

is our church against it whats your opinion- oh and by the way nancy is christian :D

and hani ramsi is christian- actor :)

whats your feedback ???

Comments

• Humility is the most essential thing for salvation. Seeking fame is a sign of pride and self-importance.

There's nothing wrong with being a singer, and if you become famous as a result of that - that's fair enough. Although I think those people who do become famous, and have people always telling them how great they are, face a very dangerous temptation - so I think fame is more often than not a bad thing.

But to just want to become famous, to be popular, etc. is anti-Christian because its the opposite of humility.
  • [quote author=blingblingzz327 link=board=11;threadid=4189;start=0#msg58188 date=1153951164]
    but if your not doing it for fame then its ok right ? ???

Music is a great gift from God. The book of the Bible that is used the most in Church is the Book of Psalms (Songs), so there's nothing wrong with becoming a singer if you're doing it for the right reasons - i.e. not for fame or rich€$
  • Music is a great gift from God. The book of the Bible that is used the most in Church is the Book of Psalms (Songs), so there's nothing wrong with becoming a singer if you're doing it for the right reasons

what do u mean by right reasons? does the church agree with the world songs and its music.what about our spirtiual hymns and songs.shall we replace them with those ones .
  • thats a good question ???
  • [quote author=monmonmon link=board=11;threadid=4189;start=0#msg58192 date=1153951804]
    what do u mean by right reasons?

I meant, not for reasons of fame, money, etc. But to inspire people and benefit them.

does the church agree with the world songs and its music.

Wordly songs? No. This comes back to the reasons behind singing. If you are singing about worldly things, then that would not be good.

what about our spirtiual hymns and songs.shall we replace them with those ones .

Who said that?
  • Everybody has different talents. If your talent is in music, or drama, or the arts and you want to pursue that talent and make it a career, then there's no sin in that. God never said "Thou shalt not be a singer!" If he did, then he wouldn't have blessed certain people with a five octave voice.

However, if you wish to be a singer, so that you can one day be famous, and have screaming fans worshipping the ground you walk on, then you are falling into the sin of pride (you're also deluded, because the odds of becoming famous in the arts is about 1 in a million). If, as Orthodox11 said, you become famous as a result of your singing, but it is not something that you wanted, then there is no harm on your part (ie: all famous people aren't going to go to hell or anything). But you are going to put yourself in a situation that is very tempting.

Singing and the arts in general is not a black and white issue. Music and drama is not a sin, but people corrupt it. It's the same with any other career. There are lawyers, and bankers, and politicians, and doctors who are corrupt, but those jobs in and of themself are not sinful. People turn them into sin. If you want to be a musician, then use your music to inspire others. Also, about music videos, there are music videos out there with positive messages, and they can also be a form of expression and inspiration. Again, it's people twist that art form into something sinful
  • Nancy Agram, or any other secular singer, is by no means approved of the Church for its children to listen to. St. Paul says that he has taken us as a pure bride to present to Christ - by watching nancy dance on a music video is by no means edifying that.

Just because she is Christian - which I highly doubt - doesn't mean her actions are approved of.
  • so we cant listen to her songs or watch her nmusic videos ??? :-X :'(
  • [quote author=Christ4Life link=board=11;threadid=4189;start=0#msg58205 date=1153965466]

Just because she is Christian - which I highly doubt - doesn't mean her actions are approved of.

Please dont talk about something you dont know about. Nancy is most definitely a Christian. As is Elissa, Nawal Al Zoughby, and Wael Kfoury. Im not going to post about other points in this thread, but i just wanted to point out that Nancy is a Christian. I have seen interviews with her where she has spoke about the church, and have pictures of her wearing a cross - I can pass them on if you want.

Rabana maak,

Matt
  • [quote author=matt88 link=board=11;threadid=4189;start=0#msg58217 date=1153986199]
    [quote author=Christ4Life link=board=11;threadid=4189;start=0#msg58205 date=1153965466]

Please dont talk about something you dont know about. Nancy is most definitely a Christian. As is Elissa, Nawal Al Zoughby, and Wael Kfoury. Im not going to post about other points in this thread, but i just wanted to point out that Nancy is a Christian. I have seen interviews with her where she has spoke about the church, and have pictures of her wearing a cross - I can pass them on if you want.

Rabana maak,

Matt

YUP nancy ajram is christian :D.............told youzz and i dont think shes going to hell or something like that just because shes dancing or singing or doing whatever shesx doing correct me if im wrong :-\
  • anyone have anything else to say ???...... thankz im really interested :o :D
  • [quote author=blingblingzz327 link=board=11;threadid=4189;start=0#msg58234 date=1154017456]
    YUP nancy ajram is christian :D.............told youzz and i dont think shes going to hell or something like that just because shes dancing or singing or doing whatever shesx doing correct me if im wrong :-\

although i can`t judge anyone whether he or she is going to hell or no,but i am sure that what nancy do is not good.and if she spend the rest of her life doing so she would never go to heaven as i think.i can`t imagine her standing in heaven besides anba antonious,marigergis,anba shenouda and all the other saints who spend their life fighting the devil`s work.and if it is so with the saints what about our lord!!!!!!!!! can she ever see him in his glory in heaven !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    i am not a saint and i don`t deserve to go to heaven either but the difference is that i know that i am doing sins and i am trying to give them up not to increase them. ;)
  • [quote author=shnoda link=board=11;threadid=4189;start=15#msg58237 date=1154018843]
    [quote author=blingblingzz327 link=board=11;threadid=4189;start=0#msg58234 date=1154017456]

although i can`t judge anyone whether he or she is going to hell or no,but i am sure that what nancy do is not good.and if she spend the rest of her life doing so she would never go to heaven as i think.i can`t imagine her standing in heaven besides anba antonious,marigergis,anba shenouda and all the other saints who spend their life fighting the devil`s work.and if it is so with the saints what about our lord!!!!!!!!! can she ever see him in his glory in heaven !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    i am not a saint and i don`t deserve to go to heaven either but the difference is that i know that i am doing sins and i am trying to give them up not to increase them. ;)

ya your rightt but in many interviews she said she goes to church and stuff
  • oh and she doesnt dance in most of her music videos just one :D..... i dont think just because she danced in one..... shes going to hell.... correct me if wrong :-\
  • she might have danced once but we can`t deniy that her videoclips caused many youth to fall...right ? ;)
  • [quote author=shnoda link=board=11;threadid=4189;start=15#msg58244 date=1154019673]
    she might have danced once but we can`t deniy that her videoclips caused many youth to fall...right ? ;)

ya your right :D see im almost 13 so i probably have no clue what im talking about lol :)
  • lucky,i hope time goes backward so i am 13 again :'( :'( :'(
    and if u like her as it seems u can pray for her that she quit what she is doing....who knows ,she might become better than many other people who seem to be saints .. ;)
  • [quote author=shnoda link=board=11;threadid=4189;start=15#msg58247 date=1154020105]
    lucky,i hope time goes backward so i am 13 again :'( :'( :'(

lol ya

............ thanks that helped :D
  • :)if anyone had more opinions feel. free to write :) :D
  • Once again, just because she is Christian does not justify her actions. I could be practically living in church and still have a heart full of filth (not that I'm saying she does). Going to church and being Christian doesn't mean that what you are doing is right.

There is little doubt that a 15 year old that watches one of her music videos will not think lustfully. Not to mention that the words of these songs also produce improper thoughts in your subconscience.

Its like telling your daughter to dress properly before setting foot out of the house - why? Because you do not want anyone to look at her in an improper way. If there is nothing wrong with the way I look and act yet somebody is still thinking in the wrong way then there is nothing I can do about it. But when I am half naked on a music video and acting in a very improper way, then what excuse do I have?

If you really do want to listen to music, most priests recommend that you listen to something calm, not something provoking (at least in my opinion).
  • [quote author=Christ4Life link=board=11;threadid=4189;start=15#msg58250 date=1154020420]
    Once again, just because she is Christian does not justify her actions. I could be practically living in church and still have a heart full of filth (not that I'm saying she does). Going to church and being Christian doesn't mean that what you are doing is right.

There is little doubt that a 15 year old that watches one of her music videos will not think lustfully. Not to mention that the words of these songs also produce improper thoughts in your subconscience.

Its like telling your daughter to dress properly before setting foot out of the house - why? Because you do not want anyone to look at her in an improper way. If there is nothing wrong with the way I look and act yet somebody is still thinking in the wrong way then there is nothing I can do about it. But when I am half naked on a music video and acting in a very improper way, then what excuse do I have?

If you really do want to listen to music, most priests recommend that you listen to something calm, not something provoking (at least in my opinion).

you have a point thanks :)
  • I personally like arabic songs...the words the voice and the beat too. Whether nancy is doing something wrong or not...that's her business to deal with not mine. I like the song and the voice ok but it doesn't mean I am gonna like the singer as well. Acting and singing aren't bad at least in my opnion...they do something that they love and they succeed on it too...it's not like they are harming the whole universe if they danced in a clip...dancing is an art and should be looked at it that way. For those who are so scared how young kids might see those video clips and think lustufully...I think it's pretty much the responsiblity of the person who is watching and of their parents to know what's right from what's wrong. I am not encouraging people to like go watch people dancing half naked and stuff...but I think it's really depend on you as a person not the person you are looking at.
  • [quote author=Marianne87 link=board=11;threadid=4189;start=15#msg58267 date=1154025910]
    I personally like arabic songs...the words the voice and the beat too. Whether nancy is doing something wrong or not...that's her business to deal with not mine. I like the song and the voice ok but it doesn't mean I am gonna like the singer as well. Acting and singing aren't bad at least in my opnion...they do something that they love and they succeed on it too...it's not like they are harming the whole universe if they danced in a clip...dancing is an art and should be looked at it that way. For those who are so scared how young kids might see those video clips and think lustufully...I think it's pretty much the responsiblity of the person who is watching and of their parents to know what's right from what's wrong. I am not encouraging people to like go watch people dancing half naked and stuff...but I think it's really depend on you as a person not the person you are looking at.

[glow=red,2,300] i couldnt have said that any better :D :D :D[/glow]
  • [quote author=blingblingzz327 link=board=11;threadid=4189;start=15#msg58272 date=1154042319]
    [quote author=Marianne87 link=board=11;threadid=4189;start=15#msg58267 date=1154025910]
    I personally like arabic songs...the words the voice and the beat too. Whether nancy is doing something wrong or not...that's her business to deal with not mine. I like the song and the voice ok but it doesn't mean I am gonna like the singer as well. Acting and singing aren't bad at least in my opnion...they do something that they love and they succeed on it too...it's not like they are harming the whole universe if they danced in a clip...dancing is an art and should be looked at it that way. For those who are so scared how young kids might see those video clips and think lustufully...I think it's pretty much the responsiblity of the person who is watching and of their parents to know what's right from what's wrong. I am not encouraging people to like go watch people dancing half naked and stuff...but I think it's really depend on you as a person not the person you are looking at.

lol. I also second that second :D:D:D
  • [quote author=matt88 link=board=11;threadid=4189;start=15#msg58275 date=1154048607]
    [quote author=blingblingzz327 link=board=11;threadid=4189;start=15#msg58272 date=1154042319]
    [quote author=Marianne87 link=board=11;threadid=4189;start=15#msg58267 date=1154025910]

lol. I also second that second :D:D:D

lolzzzz :D :D :D l....... we got the three smiley thing going lo0ol
  • eh ya shabab el talee3a??!! ya mostaqabal el ghad w'amal el yaoum??! nanci 3agram eh w'3adawyet eh ely entoh betekalemoh 3aleihom dool??? e7na hanharag??! ??? howa 7ad mekhasar el mogtama3 elah el garatheem ely esmohom el "video clips" dool - ezah kan agnaby wala masry, wala lawendy 7ata!

w'ma3 zalek, lel asaf el shedeed, en mosh heya deh el moshkelah asasan! howa khalas?? mafeesh sharr odamnah gheir el video clips deh?? dah el ensan 2odamoh meet alf, lamo akhzah fee deh el kelmah, moseebah fel donya momken tewa2a3o fee khatyah. heya gat 3al video clips ya3ny!! ::) neseenah el shahwat el radyah, el raghbat, el 7eqd, el 7asad, el kidb, wa 2elah akheroh......

el raq 3ala el shakhs nafsoh!!! tab manah 3andy el dish el 3araby fee beity w'kol 7aga.... laken hal dah ma3nah eny ana magboorah eny atfarag 3ala kol 7agah feeh?? lawo ana 3arfah en video clip mo3ayan fee 7agat mosh wala bod, hal 7ad ghaseb 3alayah eny atfarag 3aleih?? TAB3AN LA2, W'SETEEN LA2A KAMAN! 3ala toul ba2om meghayarah el ma7atah w'2albah 3ala wa7dah tanyah w'sa3at ba2fal el telfesion w'2a2om ashofly shoghlah tanya wala beta3...

(wa lel mawdoo3 baqyah fee post tany miny..)

• TAKMELAH..... (CONTINUATION TO PREVIOUS POST)
    laken ta3aloh ma3ayah neshaghal mokhenah ely fee gomgometnah dah fee 7ekayet nanci, w'nawal, w'wael, w'zaghlool, w'3asfour, w'mosh 3arfah meen... :P ezah kano homa ghaltaneen mosh ghaltaneen, Mase7eeyen awo mosh Mase7eyeen...

ana radyah zemetkom, lama wa7dah tekoun tal3ah - matefre2sh ba2a ezah kanet nanci 3agram wala el anisah 7anafy 7ata - belebs(clothes) raqee3, w'bete3mel 7arakat khalee3a, w'bet raded kalemat hayfah gidan (zay ely alefha), w'7agat tanyah keteer el wa7ed fee ghenah 3an zekraha... hal el ensanah deh b'tas3aa lel 7ayah el masee7eyah???

fee nas te2olak eh.. "tab.. w'heya nanci malha tayeb?! maho mo2alef el oghneyah howa ely me2alef el kalemat, wel mokhreg howa el beyekhreg el clip w'ta7arokat el moghanyah... el 7a2 3aleihom homa besara7a!!" fakreen en el moghaneyeen wel moghaneyat doolah asnam, la betet7arak wala bet7es wala betefham, wala 7aga abadan. ???

laken... LA2A!!!! kol "fananah" w' "fananah" (2al ya3ny ba2a el fan me2ata3 ba3doh) min dool, 3andoh mokh yemayez beeh: el sa7 min el ghalat, ely yase7 w'alazy la yase7, ezah kanet oghneytoh hatebny wala hatehdem, w'hakazah w'hakazah.... howa 3ashan beyroo7oh keneesah ya3ny?!

Filobateer (ely 2arabet yegelha soda3 nesfy!)
  • Having the desire to listen to music, in my eyes, in and of itself is wrong. Any desire for anything that is not associated with Christ means that I am not fixing my eyes on the race I have to run, but rather I am losing my focus on the true prize. Can you tell me how watching a music video or listening to songs will benefit me spiritually? If you can answer that question I myself will listen to music.
  • Christ4Life, music can benefit you spiritually, because there is lots of spiritual music out there(you are after all, on a website called...TASBEHA.org, unless you are going to argue that Tasbeha isn't music).

However, if you are speaking specifically about secular music, I don't think its fair to say that none of it benefits you spiritually, because there is secular music out that is quite spiritually beneficial (I for one find most U2 songs extremely spiritual).

Also, just because something isn't beneficial to you spiritually in a direct way, it doesn't make it wrong. Sports don't tend to benefit a person spiritually (ie, they don't understand the awesome power of God by playing sports) however, it can benfit them indirectly. They learn patience, fairness, and cooperation through playing sports, all of which are characteristics they can apply to their spiritual life. The same goes with music.
  • I didn't mean tasbeha or alhan or etc, rather secular music. But for one that previously listened to music, I found now spiritual food in it. Maybe it differs from person to person, but I cannot see how someone talking about the completely wrong meaning of love can benefit me and bring me closer to God (I am talking about arabic singers, I have no clue about english music).