WHAT DO YOU DO?

edited December 1969 in Random Issues
If you have a situation where it's like you either lie or you tell on someone or you just stay out of it, what would you do? I kinda wanted everybody to think in reality because I don't know if I would be able to lie or not. I know that the church says not to lie, but I don't want you guys to think that way. Imagine that you didn't know that. I for one if I was put on the spot, I might lie. I think it depends on the situaton. I'll give u few. And cause when we were in life skills, my teacher said that it's better to stay out of it. What do you guys think.

Situation 1

K, so you ask your mom for some money because you saw this new outfit that you HAVE TO HAVE TO have. your mom says no. u and ur friends go out that night. they know that ur mom said no, but they go to the store and get the shirt for you, shoplifted it. ur mom sees u wearing it and asks u where you got it from. what do u tell her? do you lie or what?

Situation 2

So, you and your friends are out and they want to go to a movie. Your parents tell you not to go, so you get angry. Your friends decide that they are going to sneak it, because it's an R-rated movie that's supposed to be "the biggest hit of the season." The next day your mom noticed that you weren't home and she asks you where you were, when you were supposed to be studying. what do you say.

These are really hard to think about because if you were put on the spot, you might panic and lie

I don't want to hear that the church says not to lie becuase I know that. But im pretty church if you tensed up, you MIGHT just lie and then feel bad.

[move][glow=red,2,300]love lots,
CopticChica21[/glow][/move]

Comments

• "I know that the church says not to lie, but I don't want you guys to think that way. "

well ok, take a person for example, who doesnt go to church isnt close with GOD, doesnt read the bible and is always in the streets etc.

so in these two situtaions that person would obviouly lie. but your mother warned you about the shirt and wanted you to study instead of watching this movie so you COULD'VE avoided all of this but instead you still went with the flow.

the mothers role is like a buffer zone, keeping you from doing something that would hurt you and is always there to remind you of where you should be. if you cross this zone, you know you will be in great trouble and you still do it. so its not a matter of lieng, its a matter of listening and taking heed of people's [older people] advice to you.

-- marina
  • You keep on saying I don't want to hear what the church says so and so because you know it. Well what else do you expect us to say in a Christian forum...I for one won't say for either situation go lie because you are panicing. ( I am saying you in general not you personally)...so ya if you are Christian in either situations you won't do either of them from the start so it won't result in bigger and bigger sins which is lying.

I think you know the answers in both situations and there is two choices..either you follow the Christian way or you don't. Period :)
  • [quote author=CopticChica21 link=board=11;threadid=3616;start=0#msg52198 date=1144507355]

Situation 1

K, so you ask your mom for some money because you saw this new outfit that you HAVE TO HAVE TO have. your mom says no. u and [b]ur friends go out that night. they know that ur mom said no, but they go to the store and get the shirt for you, shoplifted it. ur mom sees u wearing it and asks u where you got it from. what do u tell her? do you lie or what?[/b]

Situation 2

So, you and your friends are out and they want to go to a movie. Your parents tell you not to go, so you get angry. [b]Your friends decide that they are going to sneak it, because it's an R-rated movie that's supposed to be "the biggest hit of the season." The next day your mom noticed that you weren't home and she asks you where you were, when you were supposed to be studying. what do you say.[/b]
    [b]

Ok. Be attentive of what i bolded. You need to get some new friends because they are obviously a bad influence.

Stealing is always wrong, Christian Copt or otherwise.

No one encourages lying except the Prince of Lies or those who are under his possession.

Tell your mom the truth because, as they say, the truth will set you free. Telling the truth is never harmful to your spiritual life.
    If you get in trouble with an adult authority, it is not as harmful to you as lying.

Last thing, don't watch R-rated movies because most of them are not appropriate for Christian eyes.
    It is also illegal in the state which you live in. Even if you are of age, you should'nt watch anything that will corrupt your mind.

As for material things, you don't HAVE to have anything. These things are only temporary.
  • I only have 1 simple thing to say, would go behind your bestest friend ever ever in life---->Jesus Christ and do that, or would you say that truth? I know the truth may have discipline for what you did, but it feels good to let it out, because you know that whatever you do, you should let your parents know on it, because they might have something to say, and might even reward you for telling the truth, remember God is watching so whatever you do he will judge you on judgement day if you didn't confess-repent!

Forever,
    Coptic Servent
  • I would do WHAT JESUS WOULD DO!
  • Situation 2

So, you and your friends are out and they want to go to a movie. Your parents tell you not to go, so you get angry. Your friends decide that they are going to sneak it, because it's an R-rated movie that's supposed to be "the biggest hit of the season." The next day your mom noticed that you weren't home and she asks you where you were, when you were supposed to be studying. what do you say.

I think is bad to sneek in to a movie lol just ask ur dad dads always say "yes" when mom says no lol ;D
  • ma3oolah??? coptic chica, el kalam dah realy depends on how you, or whoever ur talking about, reacts to the situation. if i know that my friends shoplifted that shirt and they're giving it to me to wear, then i would use what is called the brain and conscience of mine to logically and morally decide that hmmm.... I AM NOT GOING TO WEAR THAT SHIRT 'CAUSE IT WAS SHOPLIFTED!!!! ;) nothing magical or difficult about this situation ya3ny.

and about the movie, i have one question about the person and the friends insisting to go to the rated R movie: WHO ARE U DEFYING?? you or your parents or u don't know asasan???
    People!!!!! ya gam3a!!! REFLECT... REFLECT... REFLECT on your motives and intentions that lead you to engage in certain actions/behaviors!

our society is going down-hill, in every aspect of life. i'll repeat that part again... in every aspect of life! if this "society" has labeled this R-rated movie as the "hit of the season," wala mosh 3arfah eh, then you should know, having the intilligence that Rabena gave you, what kind of scenes and contents this movie will contain. :-\

Rise!!! rise above the "moda" and "hit of the season" and all these things that are but to be described as NONSENSE!!!

this is my opinion. i'm not imposing it on anyone 'cause realistically and practically i can't stop you or withhold you from ur actions. YOU! and only YOU are responsible for most, almost all, of your actions. salam.. :D
  • Coptic Chica 21,

In your hypothetical’s the law is broken and not only spiritually but also legally.

If you already know that the bible condemns stealing, cheating, and lying and yet you still feel that its acceptable to pursue your actions because it was out of fear or panic. Then my friend you will suffer the wrath or your actions later in due time. Whom do you fear more? You father, your mother, your friends, or God? You might be able to deceive your mother, and be considered “cool” with your so-called-friends but God sees you and knows your intentions, and you are still willing to go against the word of God because you want a shirt or too see a movie?

Also you are breaking the law legally speaking and if you’re a minor and are caught shoplifting or sneaking into a movie then the ramification of your actions will be immense. If you are over 18 then you would be sent to jail until you pay bail and it will forever stain your permanent record.

Do you really want to break the law on different levels in order to follow the “norms” of your friends’ actions? I know that at times everyone is put in an awkward spot and telling the truth is actually a lot harder then lying but those events are what really shapes your character and defines who you are.

Make the best of these lessons and pray always that God gives you strength to do what is right in this corrupt world.

In His name
  • [quote author=socoolbishoy link=board=11;threadid=3616;start=0#msg52231 date=1144529812]
    I would do WHAT JESUS WOULD DO!

in this situation, i would have to second that!
  • lol funny ;D
  • [sub]Any more answers, you guys this is important. I really want to know what you would do. I think that we might say that we won't lie, but if you were actually on the spot, how do you think you would handle the situation?

love lots,
    CoPtIcChIcA21
    [/sub]
  • [quote author=CopticChica21 link=board=11;threadid=3616;start=0#msg52198 date=1144507355]
    If you have a situation where it's like you either lie or you tell on someone or you just stay out of it, what would you do? I kinda wanted everybody to think in reality because I don't know if I would be able to lie or not. I know that the church says not to lie, but I don't want you guys to think that way. Imagine that you didn't know that. I for one if I was put on the spot, I might lie. I think it depends on the situaton. I'll give u few. And cause when we were in life skills, my teacher said that it's better to stay out of it. What do you guys think.

Situation 1

K, so you ask your mom for some money because you saw this new outfit that you HAVE TO HAVE TO have. your mom says no. u and ur friends go out that night. they know that ur mom said no, but they go to the store and get the shirt for you, shoplifted it. ur mom sees u wearing it and asks u where you got it from. what do u tell her? do you lie or what?

Situation 2

These are really hard to think about because if you were put on the spot, you might panic and lie

I don't want to hear that the church says not to lie becuase I know that. But im pretty church if you tensed up, you MIGHT just lie and then feel bad.

[move][glow=red,2,300]love lots,
    CopticChica21[/glow][/move]

i think i would lie for both dunno y ??? its hard tho i would probably say the truth later :-\

• K, so you ask your mom for some money because you saw this new outfit that you HAVE TO HAVE TO have. your mom says no. u and ur friends go out that night. they know that ur mom said no, but they go to the store and get the shirt for you, shoplifted it. ur mom sees u wearing it and asks u where you got it from. what do u tell her? do you lie or what?

The whole situation is wrong from beginning to end. First of all, as somebody previously said, there is nothing you HAVE to have because this is all passing away. Now, your so called friends come along and although they know your mom said no, they get it for you. Even if it was bought in a legal way, this is wrong. Once my mom says no about something, that's it, NO. Nonetheless, they shoplifted it! You stole something! Then, not only do you (you generally not personally) condemn them for doing such an act, but you approve and wear the shirt. If from the beginning you listened to you mom, this would have never happened.

Situation 2

Once again, the whole situation is wrong. If your parents tell you (one again, generally not personally) not to go somewhere, then you simply don't go, its that simple. You do not get angry nor mad, you simply do something else. Once again, you do not "sneak" a movie. This is illegal and morally wrong. It is the same thing as stealing. Nonetheless, it is an R - rated movie, meaning not for Christian, especially Orthodox, eyes. The fact that your mom "noticed" you weren't home is another story. Your mom, before you set foot out of the house, should know where you are going, who you are with, and what time you will be back. Once again, if you listened to your parents to begin with, there would be no problem.