Punishment for sin

edited December 1969 in Random Issues
Hey all

its me Kristina123

I have another question!

Recently i heard a priest say that it is better to receive your punishment for a sin on earth.

Due to time restrictions I did not get an opportunity to ask him to elaborate. so it is now all your privelege to do so!!!

so what are your opinions?

Kristina123

Comments

• At a Bible Study I was at, I think someone asked the question of does God punish us for our Sins on earth and the Priest's answer was that God doesn't deliver punishment until after the physical death
  • Hey

I interpreted it to mean that if for example you are punished on earth not by God, like if you had killed someone and therefore you received the death penalty, then that would be better for you if you had escaped punishement on earth???

im so confused!!

(by the way the topic that night was the death penalty)

Kristina123
  • Hey Kristina 123

I think what abouna was trying to say, is that if u are punished on Earth it means u have repented and turned to God and for this reason u were prepared to be punished on Earth in order to escape eternal condemnation.

Conversley, if say u were punished on Earth and have not repented then Eternal Condemnation shall be severe, for God is Love but Just at the Same time.

Hope that helps!!!
  • Hello

if u are punished on Earth it means u have repented and turned to God

well just because one is punished on earth does not necessarily mean that they have repented and hence turned to God that argument is therefore beased on a fallacy.

anyway i though he meant that if you were punished on earth then the punishment on judgment day will not be as severe he said "it is better for one to be punished on earth"

to escape eternal condemnation.

are you implying that there will be no eternal condemnation if one is punished on earth and repents?

Kristina123
  • Hey Kristiana 123

You Said

"well just because one is punished on earth does not necessarily mean that they have repented and hence turned to God that argument is therefore beased on a fallacy."

i said in my post the following

"Conversley, if say u were punished on Earth and have not repented then Eternal Condemnation shall be severe, for God is Love but Just at the Same time"

• are you implying that there will be no eternal condemnation if one is punished on earth and repents?

What else does someone need to do to escape condemnation?
  • Confession and Repentance----->communion

Friend in Christ
  • so are you saying that regardless of the punishment on earth as long as there is repentence there will be no eternal condemnation?

if this is so then Abouna's comments are to be disregarded???

or must there be punishment in conjunction with repentance?

Kristina123
  • Earthly punishment distributed by man made authorities are not Divine Will and has no effect one's salvation does it?
  • Earthly punishment distributed by man made authorities are not Divine Will and has no effect one's salvation does it?

thats exactly what I'm trying to ascertain!!!

Kristina
  • "so are you saying that regardless of the punishment on earth as long as there is repentence there will be no eternal condemnation?"

Correct........

"if this is so then Abouna's comments are to be disregarded???"

I think u misunderstood Abouna--> I was there on the night --> I think abouna was reffering to the whole picture --> when we will be judged on all our deeds--> so if we repent on Earth, these bad deeds decrease and thus condemnation will be not as severe.

• [quote author=Kristina123 link=board=11;threadid=4054;start=0#msg56787 date=1151228451]
    Hey all

its me Kristina123

I have another question!

Recently i heard a priest say that it is better to receive your punishment for a sin on earth.

Due to time restrictions I did not get an opportunity to ask him to elaborate. so it is now all your privelege to do so!!!

so what are your opinions?

Kristina123

He is right, in the sense that we must repent and deal with our sins in this life. If we do not deal with our sinfulness in this life, we will have to do it in the next life. But I don't believe this means eye for eye - for example, I don't think a killer who repents has to receive the death penalty in order to go to paradise (although accepting such a punishment would be a sign of repentance - like St. Moses the Ethiopian.)
  • An important point that cannot be stressed enough is the fact that punishment has the purpose of driving one towards repentence. God's punishment is chastisement and correction, it is not vengeance.