SUBJECT SELECTION!!

whywhy
edited December 1969 in Personal Issues
:'( heyyyy

guess what..i need to pick my lines by monday right for my subject selestions..adn i have a BIGGGGGGG dilema :'(

i want to ba a lawyer right..and it would only be logical for me to take LEGAL STUDIES RIGHT...

but ALSOOOO.....

for u to become a lawyer...u must get a UAI...of over 95..AND this may only be achieved by taking the subjects- extension 1 maths and extension 1 english ANDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

THEY AREEEEEEEEEEEEE OOOONNNNNNN thhhhhhhhhheeeeeee saaaaaaaammmmmmmmmmmeeeeeeee LLLLLLLIIIIIIINNNNNNNNNNEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

and i can only choose 1 of that line..lines are 99% change that they are NOT changing :'( :'( :'(

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and i can only choose one on that line!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WHAT AM I TO DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO :'( :'( :'(

PLZZZZZZZZ PRAY FOR ME>...

if anyone has ideas or some info (khalfeya) then...HELOOOO...this way!!

Comments

• I will be able to help you. If you wish to do law, you need a UAI (University Admission Index, or Ranking) of 95, correct? Then, if you are a capable student, you should do both maths and english extension. There will always be the possibility of doing a bridging course for legal studies after your HSC exams. Also, 95 is not an easy mark to get. Therefore, by doing the extension subjects, you raise the scaling possibilities to get that mark.

I had the same problem with visual arts last year, but it didnt bother me. English extension made up for it because i enjoyed it. So, if you wich to do english extension, you'll enjo it and it will make up for legal studies. if you dont wish to do one of either extension subjects, you can always take studies of religion. Its ethic and ethnic studies can help cover some of the topics in legal.

Well, i hope i helped.... ;D
  • i disagree with what u said 'why'

u dont need to do extension subjects to help u get a 95, my friend last yr did like the occassional subjects with no extension and received a uai of 97.

i would recomend u taking english and legal studies. what is the point of u doing maths, but u need legal? :-\

like a teacher who wants to teach maths but doesnt choose it as a schol subject- a tad ridiculous lol
  • Mazza, i have to disagree with you. Law is a hard course in university. If maths extension is a prerequisite subject, it probably means that the person aiming for law must have very good problem solving skills or must be able to solve complex problems. These prerequisites are there to show that the person is capable. i agree that maths has little to nothing to do with law, but overall maths is still required to prove a person's skill in that area.
  • wat the hek bro... my bro does legal, extension 1 maths and extension 1 english i dunno wa tthe hek ur goin on bout... cheapo skool bro woodnt blame u id b angry
  • FROG, you need to take back what you said about Why's School, you've got to cut some slack. That school has a good reason not have more flexible lines, and thats because its not financially supported well enough. A lot of schools are like that.
    Anyway, whichever path Why takes is alright, since those three subjects are strong in that school.

God Bless
  • FROG..lol each skool is different..

well..Coptic dragon...i agree with u 100%...mazza is does raise the CHANCES for me to get a good mark...

however coptic dragon..as i soo nfounf out that LEGAL...is ASSUMED knowledge outside the sydney unitversities...and as u all know..sydney uni needs a UAI of 98+...something i cannot or ayone else can gaurantee....

however..i am highly considereing doing a vridgeting course one i finish..

Coptic Dragon..do u know how long that might take???

thanks heaps ppl... ;D
  • hello WHY

its me!! anyway doing legal studies will help in first yr uni its like introductory. im not sure about maths being a prerequistie for law?!?!?

i think you should choose the subjects you like. a bridging course only takes about a few weeks to a month max and is done once you find out what youve been accepted in!

dont worry if you need any more info consult the UAC guide it will tell you the prerrequisites it should be on the UAC website. you can also ask me.

Good Luck
    Kristina123
  • 1) Extension subjects, whilst helpful, are not necessary for a high UAI. If you do not have much potential in English or Maths, then do not take extension courses in those subjects. Extension subjects only help when you are capable of putting in a good effort, and when that good effort is in turn capable of acquiring for yourself good marks.

2) Legal studies is a joke. You don't need to do it, nor is it that helpful. Most universities do not assume that their law students know anything about law. They teach you everything from the beginning.

3) The UAI for law at Sydney University is 99.6+ not 98+.

4) If you want to become a law student, you might start by speaking proper english.

Many people on this website have the most dreadful spelling and grammar that I have ever seen in my life. If you expect people to take you seriously, you can at the very least learn to make your point coherently and in decent english form.

• [quote author=Iqbal link=board=10;threadid=4025;start=0#msg56455 date=1150538290]
    1) Extension subjects, whilst helpful, are not necessary for a high UAI. If you do not have much potential in English or Maths, then do not take extension courses in those subjects. Extension subjects only help when you are capable of putting in a good effort, and when that good effort is in turn capable of acquiring for yourself good marks.

2) Legal studies is a joke. You don't need to do it, nor is it that helpful. Most universities do not assume that their law students know anything about law. They teach you everything from the beginning.

3) The UAI for law at Sydney University is 99.6+ not 98+.

4) If you want to become a law student, you might start by speaking proper english.

Many people on this website have the most dreadful spelling and grammar that I have ever seen in my life. If you expect people to take you seriously, you can at the very least learn to make your point coherently and in decent english form.

WOW iqbal..that was very RUDFE but helpful..

lol u have a point bt imma keep talken the way i like...UNLIKE U!!...anywyas..thanks Kristina..

and THANKS ALOT...IT AINT 98+ ..there goes my hopes....!!

ok...imma take extension subjects..becasue IQBAL..i do have the potential..AND i will take legal studies courses...SO I HAVE AN IDEA about law...
  • hello Why

i know Why personally and her english skills are fine. she will make a great advocate!!!

Iqbal sometimes when one types on the net they like to adopt a different style of writing like a shorthand or as a means of individuality. i can assure you she doesnt write her essays like that!!

Krisitna123
  • yer thanks Krestina...

:P iqbal!
  • [quote author=why link=board=10;threadid=4025;start=0#msg56458 date=1150539329]WOW iqbal..that was very RUDFE but helpful..

Translation: "Wow, Iqbal; that was very rudfe, but helpful also".

lol u have a point bt imma keep talken the way i like...UNLIKE U!!...

Translation: "You have a point; but i'm going to keep typing the way I like, unlike the way you type!"

anywyas..thanks Kristina..

Translation: "Anyway, thanks Kristina".

and THANKS ALOT...IT AINT 98+ ..there goes my hopes....!!

Translation: By the way, thanks a lot for notifying me that it's not 98+. There goes my hope!

ok...imma take extension subjects..becasue IQBAL..i do have the potential..AND i will take legal studies courses...SO I HAVE AN IDEA about law...

Translation: Okay, I'm going to take extension subjects because, Iqbal, I do have the potential. Furthermore, I will take the legal studies course so that I may have an idea regarding law.
  • Wow Iqbal i cant beleive you took the time to fix up all the mistakes!!!!

anyway thats probably why your the moderator (lol)!!

Kristina123
  • Iqbal sometimes when one types on the net they like to adopt a different style of writing like a shorthand or as a means of individuality. i can assure you she doesnt write her essays like that!!

Instant messaging and forum discussions are two different things. Furthermore, many of her errors are not the result of mere "shorthanding" for the sake of convenience; they're due to plain carelesness.

She is not the only one, however. I can name about 10 others. My comments are merely intended to serve as constructive criticism, in the hope that such culprits change their style. It's embarassing to say the least.
  • iqbal...

judge not lest ye be judged
  • All I want to say is 'thank you Iqbal' for pointing out that Extension subjects aren't neccessary in order for you to achieve a high result.

'Why', you have potential, and you can get that 99.6 if you put your mind to it. ;) However, the only thing I advise is for you to pick up extension english (not maths). English skills are what's really needed for law. I still don't see the point of maths being a prerequisite.
  • lol coptic dragon she is my sister and she knows what im talking about its a joke... everyone teases that school lol

im not that slack

GB ALL
    +FROG+
  • [quote author=Iqbal link=board=10;threadid=4025;start=0#msg56455 date=1150538290]

I would agree with this Why. It is the same in the UK - most universities prefer you to do things like English or history instead of legal studies, which is actually looked down upon.

If you decide to do law at university you will have to start from scratch, so you will not have any particular advantage if you do legal studies - you'll just find the first years of uni boring because you go through what you already know.

So if I were you I would probably do something else that would get me a higher score.
  • [quote author=mazza link=board=10;threadid=4025;start=15#msg56475 date=1150547614]
    All I want to say is 'thank you Iqbal' for pointing out that Extension subjects aren't neccessary in order for you to achieve a high result.

'Why', you have potential, and you can get that 99.6 if you put your mind to it. ;) However, the only thing I advise is for you to pick up extension english (not maths). English skills are what's really needed for law. I still don't see the point of maths being a prerequisite.

Mazza, potential doesnt always mean i determined to use all of it. However, by looking into the future, i know that Sydney University whilst it requires a high UAI, legal studies is not assumed knowledge, whilst other universities, like that of Macarthur, legal studies is that of assumed knowledge AND that universities ALLOWS graduates with a UAI of 95 to be law student is their universities.

Furthermore, i will take my chances and 'aim for the moon becasue if i fall, i will fall between the stars'.

I would like to inform all participants of this forum that i have chosen both Mathematic and English extensions over Legal Studies.

Mazza: for me to be able to take English Extension, i must choose between Mathematics Extension and Studies of Religon Extension and in my case i have chosed both Mathematic and English Extension for i found it to be more beneficial for me for i lack the interest in Studies of Religon.

Thankyou for your comments.

if anyone has any further comments they would like to post up, pleas do so.
    If anyone has further information about the bridgeding courses, please elaborate.

Peace,
    Marina

PS: How was that Iqbal?^ :P
  • Hi Why,

Iqbal (as always) is right in his posts. Legal studies is a joke. I did it in years 11 & 12 and am now in my second year of law at uni and i can honestly say legal studies didnt help me at all. Therefore you shouldnt be too worried if you cant do legal studies for now. Secondly, remember most law degrees here have to be done in conjunction with a second degree, so even if you dont have the marks to get into law you can get into a different degree, and then after your first year combine it with law.

On a different point raised by Iqbal the spelling and grammer here is terrible. Why do people type "u" when its nothing extra to type "you" or "nething" instead of "anything" and all the other stupid shortcuts used. I mean how do people think they are advancing themselves through school or other education if they are still making english mistakes that a 10 year old would pick up on?

Anyway, rabana maak, and hopefully people will start to use their mind a bit more when they post.'

Matt
  • Well, i hope i helped why. I know i've benefited from everyone. God bless you in your future.

To Frog: Sorry for being harsh. Oh, i didn't know why had a sister (no wonder she's smart)....

• Laugh out Loud (matt and Iqbal if it makes you happy)

Coptic Dragon, FROG wa talking about sister in Christ however i do have a biological sister. However what i donot understand is how my sister makes me smart.

Furthermore, may i put in, achieving good results is no indication of future happiness and self actualisation, something we would all like to achieve.

Thankyou Matt for your input, i have greatly gained from it.

Thanks Everybody..Including Iqbal
  • haha, your precise use of "laugh out loud" just put a smile on my face. It was actually quite funny..

Anyway, rabana maak wa inshallah your subjects will line up

Matt :)
  • I definitely have to agree with Iqbal and Matt. The way people write on this forum is frustrating. It is hard to read a post when there are more spelling and grammar (yes that is how you spell the word) than lines. I have mentioned this before and was strongly opposed by a few members and told that my comments were not mean. Believe me, if you want to be successful, you need to become accustomed to writing in proper English.
  • [quote author=why link=board=10;threadid=4025;start=15#msg56471 date=1150543517]
    iqbal...

judge not lest ye be judged

I have not seen anyone judging.
  • For those of us who are in America, could someone please explain what an extension subject is. Also, could someone explain the system of admissions into university in Australia. I am confused. In America no one can simply say if your grades are greater than "X" you will be admitted to a particular college. Many factors go into an admissions decision, including grades, extra-curricular activities, SAT and SAT II scores, college essays, race etc. Also, it seems that you apply to a particular faculty within a school, which is very different from the system in America. Here, you apply to a college and list a major on your application, but once accepted you may choose to declare any major offered by that college. Also, can you be admitted to law school with only a high school diplomain Australia? Here in America you need to get a BA or BS from an undergraduate college and then apply to law school. There are a few BA/JD dual degree programs but these tend to be very selective and only accept a very limited number of students.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I feel totally lost in this conversation.
  • Extension subjects are exactly what they sound like. I.e. an expansion upon an already existing subject. For example, extension Mathematics is an extension subject of Maths, meaning you study the "basic" Mathematics course, but also do additional and harder stuff.

Your admission into a University course, is in most cases dependant upon your UAI, which is short for University Admission Index. Basically, each course at University has a UAI minimum which you need higher or equal to to get into that course. It should be noted that UAI is not a "grade" per se, but is more a rank that is worked out via the scores in your different subjects for all that year, and also for your score in the HSC [Higher School Certificate] examinations. That being said, scholarship and the like are offered, can be attained, and they seem to work very similar to the system you mentioned below - taking into account extra-curricular activites, marks, etc. Hope I was able to clear that up a little bit
  • yes that was thoroughly explained but may i add- that for certain courses, certain corses are requisite (mandatory) to be taken in the course of Year 12. Although Legal Studies is not a requisite/assumed knowledge for the certain UNI i would like to get into however, background knowledge never hurt anyone.
  • Also, can you be admitted to law school with only a high school diplomain Australia?

Law school occupies the final phase of the overall course. At Sydney University, the first three years of the course are dedicated to study of the core subjects of law (e.g. torts, criminal, constitutional, contracts etc.). Once one has passed all such subjects, they proceed to law school for the last two years of the course. Once one has graduated from law school, they receive their Bachelor of Laws.

It should be noted that UAI is not a "grade" per se, but is more a rank

Indeed; hence, a UAI of 99.6% would indicate that the one who so achieved such a mark managed to rank in the top 0.4% of the state.
  • thank God, they have moved legal on a better line and i am now able to choose it..

However i DO NOT know weither to choose between biology and economics.

Help i need to decide TONIGHT!