lost sheep

edited December 1969 in Random Issues
I realy wanted to talk about this for quite a while now and get other people's perception. I have few friends who i grew up with, but over time have seen them divert their ways from that of church and slowly disconnect themselves from church friends. when i get the chance to see them (ones that left church) and chat to them about it, their number one reason for not returning to church is because of how church people percieve them and judge them (either at the begining or when they attempted to return to church). secondly is because none (or very few) of the church youth bother to ask or notice them missing. third reason is related to educational level or status, implying that individuals at church only want to associate with those similar to them in educational level/status: ignoring those below them in status (at times just greeting the other lower person, but not going far enough to show any sort of interest or care.

I understand that one comes to church for God, but i also understand that as humans; the hunger of the human heart is attention. I guess God's mercy is great so we know that he will always be attendive to his children, but at times the heart also seeks the attention of those like him/her, humans of this world in order to socialize and feel part of society.

I feel that as egyptian copts, we loose alot of our youth throught the points underlined.

I would like to know, do these situations also happen where you are?

General opinion on what should be done?

Do you think this exists only within our nationality and should it be changed?

Note: this message is not directed at blaming priests or servants for the loss of youth but it is rather placed to see what can be done and if this realy is an issue within our culture.

Comments

• it's funny that you bring this up now, because I was thinking about that alot over the weekend!

these situations certainly happen where I am.
    I think this has to do with a lot of things, mainly I think as an egyptian society living in the U.S. we lost our warmth and hospitality. We have become cold and dry, even toward our own family. Everyone is living his/her own life, and simply care for their own needs because they've forgotten what it's like to live among your people. I understand why they would be judgemental; it's because there is such a small population of egyptians here that you can't help but judge them. Also, this small population has a wide variety of social/ educational levels. For example, in one church, we find the rich doctor who used to live in Garden City, Cairo and we also find the simple teacher who used to teach in the village in Upper Egypt. This makes it hard to fit in. So those people you talk about find that in the world (outside the church with its egyptian community) there are so many people within their level who are in their same shoes.

In church, our priest tries to get everyone involved and gives every special attention. He would let one of those youth be in charge of something in the church, or have them make an anouncement...anything to make them feel needed. I think it starts with the servants and the priest because you can't change an entire people, but one person truly makes a huge difference in one person's life.
  • thanks alot for starting this... its been on my mind for exactly 1 yr... and i wanted to post it but didnt know how to write it.

anyway yes it happens everywhere and different situations in every church etc. but the point isnt what got them out the point is how to get them back in... i really really not just want but need and not just need but beg for everyone to give ways to get the lost sheep back again in the churches... even if they arent physically lost and not appearing in churches but mentally with the world. the more people give ideas and brainstorm it wont be just us that will be happy it will be God even more and of corse them.

there are a couple but i need more... for those that dont come we send a newsletter thingo that I can send to any1 also phone and home visitations we need more ideas.... please its tym to do something...

+GB ALL EFFORTS+
    +FROG+
  • sorry epshiri... we r not talking about physical sheep lol that would be funny... we are the sheep the sheep of Gods flock He is our Almighty shepard... the sheep as i said we are but the lost sheep are the people mainly youth who have strayed and went on a different path and didn't want to follow their Shepards instructions which is the people that dont come to church anymore.... some may even turn back on God too.... :'(

lol hope u get it...
    +FROG+