Lourdes

edited May 2006 in Faith Issues
Hello,
Hope everyone is ok.
Just a small question: does the Coptic Church acknowledge Catholic saints or even Catholic Apparititions of Saint Mary: i.e. at Lourdes to saint Bernadette, or even in Fatima??

Thanks,

Comments

• [quote author=vassilios link=board=1;threadid=3818;start=0#msg53990 date=1146732781]
    Hello,
    Hope everyone is ok.
    Just a small question: does the Coptic Church acknowledge Catholic saints or even Catholic Apparititions of Saint Mary: i.e. at Lourdes to saint Bernadette, or even in Fatima??

Thanks,

Al Masih Kam!

The Coptic and Catholic Churches do share many Saints, since for the first 400 years they were part of the same Church - but I think that's more or less as far as it goes.

As for Lourdes, that's where Catholics believe St Maria appeared to say that she was born immaculately. The Coptic Church does not accept the idea of an immaculate conception, and so I doubt very much that they'd accept the supposed apparition at Lourdes.
  • yep i think thats rite, and we dont support the st fatima thing either. u
  • We're all one Church of God.

Do you mean we're all one Church as in both Coptic Orthodox and Catholics are "one Church" or that the Catholic is the one Church or that the Coptic Orthodox is the one Church? I'm a bit confused. Thanks
  • From what i have heard, (not that reliable) We dont say that apparitions and saints of the catholic church are not really saints and apparitions, but we just say that its their church we dont really need to comment on them, for them they are saints. Just like we say their marriages for them are marriages. We can not say everything is fake that is not in our church, but we dont need to officially comment on every happening outside our church either.

I think if it has good fruits it is from God, if not then it isnt, same as in our church. But yeh we dont believe in the immaculate conception of the virgin.
  • WMA,

The Roman Church and the Orthodox Church are certainly not One by any means, and that is the official position of both Churches on this matter. You get a few individuals from both sides who, with honest intentions im sure, try and depict our Churches as one, but they're neither following their Church's teachings nor reason on the matter, but their own emotional inclinations.