Ananias and sapphira, Repentance

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
Did God give time for them to repent?

Why did God kill them without a chance to repent if thats true?
shouldn't we always be in fear that God might kill us one day without us having a chance to repent?

But I read somewhere I think (and I think it was from something coptic orthodox) that God always gives us a chance to repent..

Comments

• i think the one that u hear was that gd takes us at the best possible time
  • God did give them a chance to repent. when annaias and sapphira came in to give the money to the apostles, Peter asked them seperately is this all of the money u got from selling ur house. if they had said no, we need to keep some of the money for ourselves, they wouldnt hace died, but they "lied against the Holy Spirit". hope that helped :)
  • can some1 briefly tell me the story..imma really lost..very very sorry.!!
  • [quote author=why link=board=1;threadid=3712;start=0#msg53021 date=1145793602]
    can some1 briefly tell me the story..imma really lost..very very sorry.!!

Ananias and Sapphira were early Christian in Jerusalem who tried to lie to God. Their story is recounted in Acts 5 of the Holy Bible.

Acts 5:1-11 NKJV

1 But a certain man named Ananias, with Sapphira his wife, sold a possession. 2 And he kept back part of the proceeds, his wife also being aware of it, and brought a certain part and laid it at the apostles’ feet. 3 But Peter said, “Ananias, why has Satan filled your heart to lie to the Holy Spirit and keep back part of the price of the land for yourself? 4 While it remained, was it not your own? And after it was sold, was it not in your own control? Why have you conceived this thing in your heart? You have not lied to men but to God.”
    5 Then Ananias, hearing these words, fell down and breathed his last. So great fear came upon all those who heard these things. 6 And the young men arose and wrapped him up, carried him out, and buried him.
    7 Now it was about three hours later when his wife came in, not knowing what had happened. 8 And Peter answered her, “Tell me whether you sold the land for so much?”
    She said, “Yes, for so much.”
    9 Then Peter said to her, “How is it that you have agreed together to test the Spirit of the Lord? Look, the feet of those who have buried your husband are at the door, and they will carry you out.” 10 Then immediately she fell down at his feet and breathed her last. And the young men came in and found her dead, and carrying her out, buried her by her husband. 11 So great fear came upon all the church and upon all who heard these things.

• It seems sapphira has a chance to repent maybe but not ananias
  • mikeforjesus...imm sorry to say it..but he was given plenty of chances...

when the devil tempted him...and he said okaiie...GOD gave him a chance...

when he went walking up to st peter...the devil kept telling him "say this" and he agreed....GOD spared his life and gave him a chance to talk to saint peter..maybe he would change his mind...

casue remember...the sin doesnt happen when it has been done but when there has been an intent or desire...

for a desire gives birth to sin!!...annanias was given the chance to repent up until he gave birth (lol)

look at it that way
  • It seems to me maybe St Peter was asking those questions but not expecting Ananias to speak and Ananias also may have thought he should wait till St Peter finishes speaking or something..
  • look, ananias started sinning when he thought in his mind of tricking the apostles, and thus the Holy Spirit. he didnt repent when he hqad the chance :-\
  • did he have the chance? I know he had the chance to change his mind about sinning... but did he get a chance to repent of the sin he already commited?

I had a chance not to hit a person when that person angered me in the past but God never took my life without giving me the chance to repent to Him and to the person I hit..

I know I deserved hell for that one sin if God judged me according to His justice but God is merciful.. He gives me chances to repent..

If God judges people according to His justice these days (or maybe if ever He did) without giving them a chance to repent then I should fear God will take my life everytime I even think a bad thought.. (well I shouldnt be thinking bad thoughts anyway but I do)

• Ah, now ive re-read i understand wat u mean. here it is- either he was given a chance to repent which was not recorded in the Bible. but also ananias didnt [glow=red,2,300]want[/glow] to repent. even if he had been asked, he would not have repented, it is clear by the actions of him plotting it all. i dunno which 1, but God always gives us a chance to repent, so he gave 1 to ananias. its 1 of the 2 ive talked about. hope that helps. pray for me ;)