Is it okay for me to talk on a phone with a buddhist girl?

edited December 1969 in Personal Issues
Not regularly maybe but just 1 time or a few times..

because she was with me in university the year before last year and then later she went to a different university.. I saw her today at my university (she might of came to study there) and got her mobile number.. before today she sent me a email saying for me to go on msn..
I might not be physically attracted to her but I like her and she was nice to me and gave me notes when she went to the university I go to..

She was happy to see me and I maybe gave the impression that I did not want to talk much with her (which might of been true but not because I do not like her) which might of made her upset.. so I want to talk on the phone

Comments

• The best person to handle this situatoin is your FOC. i know i say this a lot, but he is the person that will advice you and God advices you through him. talk to him and think about what jesus would do. that usually helps try to explain matters to her and stuff. tell her how you feel and things liek that. i may not be a big help, but the first thing i said is prolly the best thing to do.

love lots,
    CopticChica21
  • There is nothing wrong with talking to people, as long as you've got control over the conversation. Don't talk about non-sense. Talk about school stuff. Don't get to comfortable either...know when to stop the conversation.
    Hope that helped.
    GB.
  • Come on we are Christians, not Nazis!

You can talk to her about whatever you think Jesus wouldn't mind hearing. Thats not restricted to only school talk. I have many friends at school and I have many more things to talk about other than school. Just to name a few ideas, we talk about the weather, religions, politics, TV, philosophy, books, movies...and on.
  • NO man youre gonna go to hell if you talk to her! lol.... oh boy oh boy oh boy... habibi... talk to her all you want... just dont talk about religion.... simple enough eh?
  • really funny socoolbishoy. :D. its not like ur gonna marry her tomorrow, ur just talking. i think it might me rude if u didnt talk to her. its not that serious
  • [quote author=Rony link=board=10;threadid=3477;start=0#msg50781 date=1143122581]
    Come on we are Christians, not Nazis!

You can talk to her about whatever you think Jesus wouldn't mind hearing. Thats not restricted to only school talk. I have many friends at school and I have many more things to talk about other than school. Just to name a few ideas, we talk about the weather, religions, politics, TV, philosophy, books, movies...and on.

FANTASTIC~!!!!!!! ;)
  • Of course you can talk to her! If we cut off everybody who is not Christian, then we are not acting very Christ-like. I have a fair amount of friends (many who are extremely close to me) who are Hindu and non-denominational and it is no different than my friends who are Coptic (except religion comes up a lot more in my conversations with the Copts).

If she's comfortable with you, you can even talk about God and religion, as l have conversations with my Hindu friends about religion and God, because we are all very tolerant people who are accepting of other peoples' beliefs. We even joke about religion a lot (my Hindu friend told me my neighbour's cat that's stalking me could be my husband from my past life...I informed her that that was impossible b/c my husband from my past life was Cary Grant ;D).
  • well not because you dont see him, does it mean he does not exist... LOL... sorry... had to!
  • you know you love it!
  • I actually really appreciate socoolbishoy's humour a lot. LOL, he's one of the few people on these boards who aren't constantly worried that every little action is a sin (exp: looking good, talking to non-copts, learning about world religions :P...seriously people, not every little thing is a sin!)

But I think that mikeforjesus may have probably read our comments even though he hasn't responded.
  • i think there is nothing wrong with talking to her on the phone. i mean, it is just talking to another human body. i think that you shouldn't talk about religions though. cause it could lead you to a lot of commotion between your relationship with her. but there is nothing wrong with talking to someone that are not the same religion as you. cause they can feel the same way. but as someone said already, if we didn't talk to anyone other than our religions than we wouldn't be real christians cause God wouldn't like that to happen. i have a lot of friends that are not the same religion as i am. i just don't let there religion influence me and i just don't talk about it because it can lead to many arguments and end our friendship. i have muslim friends, jewish friends, and i did once have a buddest friend to. :)
  • Yes I have read maybe all the replys
  • alright people, i havent read all the replies, but are you all serious?! come on, this is not an issue of religion, that's the least of our worries. mike, you say you have feelings for this girl, now since from my point of view those feelings wont take you anywhere constructive (meaning you're not going to think about marring her), then why are you dragging a relationship with her even tho she left your university. Please, do not talk to her on the phone, it's a big mistake. you are leading yourself into temptation...i know what you might repsond to that...o i wont let it get to me, i'm strong..etc, but believe me, David the prophet himself fell into a big sin even tho his heart was closest to God's. Please, take this as genuine advice from a member of the body of Christ.
  • [quote author=Katherine link=board=10;threadid=3477;start=15#msg51554 date=1143768581]
    I actually really appreciate socoolbishoy's humour a lot. LOL, he's one of the few people on these boards who aren't constantly worried that every little action is a sin (exp: looking good, talking to non-copts, learning about world religions :P...seriously people, not every little thing is a sin!)

Thank you, that cheered me up... while I was in the need of a cheer!
  • well my priest says he trusts me or something.. I thought he might say do not talk with her..
  • Sorry off topic, but socoolbishoy, I have never seen any quote superman, lol.
  • mike, what church do u go to? yes your priest trusts you, but i doubt he trusts people around you. this is not an issue of trust, it's an use of letting your guard down. there is a nice verse that says: "beware of the little foxes." (paraphrased) and that's what you have to do here; no one said they don't trust you, we just don't trust the devil and his tricky ways of justifying things. :o
  • [quote author=Rabi-Yaso3-Bey7ebeni link=board=10;threadid=3477;start=15#msg52229 date=1144528531]
    mike, what church do u go to? yes your priest trusts you, but i doubt he trusts people around you. this is not an issue of trust, it's an use of letting your guard down. there is a nice verse that says: "beware of the little foxes." (paraphrased) and that's what you have to do here; no one said they don't trust you, we just don't trust the devil and his tricky ways of justifying things. :o

I totally agree on that Rabi-Yaso3-Bey7ebeni, yes no one probably never said they don't trust you, it's probably the foolish satan that is calling you this, he doesn't care if you go against a rule he just wants you to believe in him, so do you believe in God, or do you believe in satan, as you can seen I did not capitalize the first letter of satan, because I have no respect for him, and will never worship anybody except God!

Forever,
    Coptic Servent
  • I'm going to have to SEVERELY disagree with Rabi-Yaso3-Bey7ebeni. I really doubt that talking to a Buddhist person is "letting your guard down". I'm pretty sure she's not out to convert Mike, nor will he embrace Buddhism because he's her friend ::)

PEOPLE RELAX!!! If you don't talk to people just because they are of a different religion you are being exclusive and intolerant! Jesus approached the Samaritan woman, Zaccheus, the adulterous woman, Matthew (a tax collector) etc.... We cannot close the door on people if they are different. That is not following Christ.
  • [quote author=Katherine link=board=10;threadid=3477;start=15#msg52235 date=1144552980]
    I'm going to have to SEVERELY disagree with Rabi-Yaso3-Bey7ebeni. I really doubt that talking to a Buddhist person is "letting your guard down". I'm pretty sure she's not out to convert Mike, nor will he embrace Buddhism because he's her friend ::)

PEOPLE RELAX!!! If you don't talk to people just because they are of a different religion you are being exclusive and intolerant! Jesus approached the Samaritan woman, Zaccheus, the adulterous woman, Matthew (a tax collector). We cannot close the door on people if they are different. That is not following Christ.

I like what you said there Katherine, I do believe the same, and that is right, I said no one probably ever said I don't trust you, you are right on Jesus approaching the others, even worse sinners you have to remember the samaritan woman, she approached to God and he didn't say anything, he knew it was going to happen, and he knew who she was, how many husbands she married, and even that she was a very bad sinner, but God didn't stop her!

Forever,
    Coptic Servent
  • Katherine, i think you completely misunderstood me. i'm not saying isolate yourself from people and don't talk to them. please, i would be a HUGE hipocrite if i said that because i have friends from so many different religions; from prodestants to buddhists to muslims to even atheists.
    but the issue here is not the girl's religion at all, neither is mike converting to buddhism my worry. this is about how they both feel about each other, she likes him, he's attracted to her and that may escalate to God knows where. it might seem okay to talk to her on the phone and all that but that's what i meant when i said the devil justifies things that we don't see leading to bigger and worse things. the devil is smart and very clever he's not gonna just put sin right in front of you like that, or else you would never fall into it...he's patient and drags us into sin gradually without us knowing it.
  • But my abouna knows I wanted to know if it is okay to talk to her outside of uni or something.. and he seems okay with it..

but it should not be a one on one relationship maybe.. it should be with other friends too

• i think ur stressing too much about this. treat her as u would treat a sister!
    love is the supreme law. agape is all u need.