Persistence vs. Disobediance

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
Please respond, I would love to hear everybody's opinion.. it means a lot...

Thanks..

Comments

• I answered, I'll give up, they know the best, they do know the best, my parents are AWESOME, they have my back and give me advice, and I respect them, and they know what's best for me!

Forever,
    Coptic Servent
  • Well, my mom and I are very close so if she doesn't want me to do something I think is important, I argue and argue and argue and argue my point and she does the same..if someone's right, then obviously their point would be the more valid one..I'd never go against my parents' will but sometimes we change opinions in this exchanging of views process..and I usually have a charm for making thing flow my way ;)
  • It is a tough question nevertheless I would say it really depends on the issue at hand. What I mean by that is…..What kind of issue is it? Or how significant the issue is? Is it something that will have an effect on you in the long run? Or is it just a momentary kind of thing? You can ask lots of questions depending on the subject one is dealing with.

For instance a typical example that I see most often is when Parents attempt to influence what their children should study/major while they are in college. Most of the time Parents prefer their sons/daughters to join streams which are highly ‘respected’; by the society they live in that is, like medical and law schools. That I think is not a right thing to do.

So I may be mistaken and can be corrected, but for now I would go with …it depends.
  • See…. it is a kind of difficult to have some sort of formulated and fixed stance to deal with these kinds of issues, which are so varied depending on the situation one is in.
    Anyhow that was interesting, thanks for sharing it, Marmar! And the cell phone thing on the monastery sounds nice to me, I guess?
    Btw I am glad you brought it for dialogue, it is excellent …exchange ideas and learn from each other…which is fabulous. ;D
  • Yea I am not sure either. But considering what monks are suppose to do; as you stated, it may sound a little strange. However I am thinking they have something in mind for doing so….may be for guests who would like to use a phone? or may be for some emergency cases? or may be for something else?

To be certain one needs to pose the question to them, hoping they wouldn’t mind. And may be if you come to a final conclusion to go with the compromise then when you go there, you may perhaps will be able to ask them and find out? After that let us know? I think, don’t you think? ;)
  • Did you cite those verses of the bible to support the option that we should follow guidelines from our parents no matter what? Or is it for the one which says depending on the situation? It will be great if you elaborate before I comment on it?
  • Okay I see your point and I agree! :)
    Please pray for me? and GBU!