2nd baptism??

edited December 1969 in Coptic Orthodox Church
Ok, my mother is egyptian, and my father is australian. When i was born i was christened anglican. However a few months later my parents went overseas and my aunty secretly christened me into the coptic church (my mother was of course coptic). Anyway my parents split when i was 5, and so i more or less consider myself totally egyptian, and coptic, as i used to go to the coptic church, had my extended egyptian family (in fact i havent spoken to my father or his family for 13 years - im not 18..), learnt arabic, and have even been to egypt many times.

My question is about a second baptism, bascially how valid is it? I mean i definitely consider myself 100% coptic, but perhaps that christening isnt valid. I remember reading that a christian can only be christened once, so ive been a little bit confused. Are there any views on this that reflect the official coptic status quo?? I really appreciate any answers this. Rabana maak. Matt

Comments

• wel in my opinion, forgive me and correct me if im wrong... i believe that the anglican baptism isnt real, i mean u dont get dunked in water like our lord did, u get a sprinkle of water on your head and hey presto your christian

with your reffering to "i heard u cant b baptised twice..." i think thats only in relation to the orthodox church, u cant be baptised in the orthodox church twice (since the orthodox church is the only church where you are covered in mayroon and dunked in the holy water 3 times) eg. u cant be greek orthodox and then convert to coptic orthodox and get baptised again (i hope u get what i mean)

...wat about the many christians that convert to the orthodox faith, they get baptised again, i dont think u have a problem ;)ur a true christian and u should b proud of it

i would die if i woke up an wasnt coptic.... :-\ :-\

but i hope i helped a bit
    forgive my ignorance on this topic, i wrote just what i knew

someone please add or correct me

ur sister in christ
    marina
    p.s keep me in ur prayers guys

• Yes, baptism can only be performed once; however, in the eyes of the Orthodox Church, you have only been baptised once, since your Anglican baptism would have been considered invalid.

In some circumstances, the Orthodox Church receives heteredox coverts by chrismation alone (a practise grounded in early Church tradition). This is only done if the heteredox baptism was performed in the name of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit (which is most likely the manner that you would have been baptised in the Anglican church). However, the heteredox covert is not baptised in this case upon the belief that their baptism, even if in the name of the Trinity, was valid or Grace-filled, but rather according to the belief that upon reception into the Church via chrismation, it retrospectively becomes effective.

Nonetheless, no harm was done - your Orthodox baptism is your first and only valid baptism, since the priest administering it chose not to impute validity upon your Anglican baptism via chrismation alone.
  • eg. u cant be greek orthodox and then convert to coptic orthodox and get baptised again

The Greek Orthodox Church is not in communion with our Church, they're not really considered part of the Orthodox Church technically speaking. Therefore, a Greek Orthodox convert to the Coptic Orthodox Church would either be baptised, or at the very least chrismated.

The above also holds true from the Greek Orthodox perspective of the Coptic Orthodox Church.
  • wow i didnt know that :o

thanks iqbal
  • But I might sometimes read greek and russian orthodox books on depression? and I think they might be helping me.
  • Our issues with the Eastern Orthodox Church are strictly ecclesiastical at the moment; I think it would be safe to say that they produce sound Orthodox theological and spiritual works. Many heirarchs of our Church have recognised that we presently even share the same Christological faith, which was the issue that initially divided us.

Thus, if you are dealing with depression, and such books assisst you, I see no reason for you to stop. However, I'd frequently engage with my spiritual adviser concerning such a matter, and would also put forth to him the material I am reading and ask for his blessing and sanction.
  • Hi People,

Im lost where did we go from Baptism to Depression??

And with regards Baptism - Ok figure this one out plz. Baptised into Roman Catholic Church - Converted to Islam - now what happens - does the Original Baptism still stand? - For the person returning to Christianity and in particular to the Coptic Orthodox Church?

God Bless

Geraldine
  • What I know is that "from the point of view of our Oriental Orthodox Church-including our Coptic Church" we don't accept the Baptism of any other chrch since itt was on a different faith .This includes the Catholic, Angelican , Baptist, and all other Protestant churches.
    The only exception is the other Orthodox Church.What I know is that we reached a theological agreement with them about 10 years ago .We now acept their Baptism but they need to recieve Chrismation..
    So for the dear matt problem , there is no problem and he is Christian Orthodox and the first Baptism is inalid.
    For the one who was catholic then muslim ,his original Baptism is invalid from our Church's point of view and he needs to be baptized.
    Just to make more complicated ;D :if a copt or any orthodox leaves the faith and became a muslim for example and then returns, there will be NO 2ND Baptism. The church prays another prayer for him to be reaccepted in the faith.
    I hope this answers all the questions...Pray for me
  • [quote author=GERALDINE link=board=4;threadid=3118;start=0#msg46554 date=1138555133]
    Hi People,

And with regards Baptism - Ok figure this one out plz. Baptised into Roman Catholic Church - Converted to Islam - now what happens - does the Original Baptism still stand? - For the person returning to Christianity and in particular to the Coptic Orthodox Church?

God Bless

Geraldine

same... ::)
  • Geraldine, if you are returning to the Coptic Orthodox Church you need to have a full baptism done. Any other baptism from any church other than an Oriental Orthodox Church is in the Coptic Orthodox's Church's eyes null and void.

Matt, as long as you were christened into an Oriental Orthodox Church, no need for you to worry.

Hope I helped.
  • Geraldine,

Hence the nature of internet discussions...one makes a side-remark relevant to the main issue at hand, and others choose to pursue discussion along the lines of that sideremark because it is apparently of more interest to them then the main subject. I'd prefer people just create a new thread for that purpose, but unfortunately I can't control how every member chooses to post.

I would dismiss any conclusive statement given by anyone in this thread.

The fact of the matter is, that since your Roman Catholic baptism was performed in the name of the Holy Trinity, you would probably be received into the Coptic Orthodox Church via chrismation alone. As I stressed above, this does not mean your RC baptism was valid or grace-filled upon its being administered by the RC priest, but rather it retrospectively becomes effective via your chrismation.

Some priests of certian local parishes however, may simply opt to re-baptise you nonetheless. Either way, your initial baptism is considered invalid technically speaking, so there is no harm done. Consider both manners of reception as mere possible alternatives, one being more likely than the other.
  • "but rather it retrospectively becomes effective via your chrismation."

Can we trust this decision (if its a decision) ? was made through the guidance of the Holy Spirit maybe?

• I just want to say thank you very much to the people who replied to my question. Its something that ive been thinking about for a few years and was a little confused about. Its good to know that im coptic through and through though :P Even if i havent been to a coptic church for a few years.. Anyway rabana maak.
  • no probz ;)