Mark 5:19 and OTHER QUESTIONS... Orthodox Study Bible ...

edited January 2006 in Faith Issues
This is from the Orthodox Study Bible

"5:19 Jesus allows an exception to the messianic secret: this man may tell others. Perhaps in Gentile territory misunderstanding of Jesus' mission was not so much a problem, because the Gentiles had no preconceptions about the Messiah."

Maybe not quoted exacly I hope it is?

Anyway I dont think I understand this.. can someone please try to explain??
Also do you think this man lived with his friends?.. do you think his parents may have died?

Comments

• what is the context of this quote?
  • Jesus casting out demons from a demon possessed man?

maybe read Mark 5?

• "Certainly no people needed the message about Christ more than these people who were begging Jesus to leave. Jesus had greatly blessed this man and so gave him the hardest task of all, to go home and witness there for Christ. In Galilee Jesus had several times forbidden the healed to tell what he had done for them because of the undue excitement and misunderstanding. But here it was different. There was no danger of too much enthusiasm for Christ in this environment. "

[sub]Robertson, A.T. "Commentary on Mark 5:19". "Robertson's Word Pictures of the New Testament". [/sub]
  • thankyou? but some people believe (and maybe God too) we should not read bible commentaries from protestants if thats? from a protestant commentary..

But I read Matthew Henry's (I think his protestant commentary sometimes)

• reading commentaries isn't supposed to become your a replacement for the doctrine taught by the church, but just because they are protestant, doesn't mean that they can't make a good point every once in a while. think about it this way, you know your faith, if you run across something that disagrees, skip over it, if not, no harm. they are by no means meant to replace the teachings of your church fathers
  • Do others agree?
  • mikeforjesus,

This is from the Orthodox Study Bible

"5:19 Jesus allows an exception to the messianic secret: this man may tell others. Perhaps in Gentile territory misunderstanding of Jesus' mission was not so much a problem, because the Gentiles had no preconceptions about the Messiah."

Maybe not quoted exacly I hope it is?

Anyway I dont think I understand this.. can someone please try to explain??

To answer you briefly, the Jews in Christ's day had already developed pre-conceptions regarding the mission and function of The Messiah. They thought of him in earthly terms, as a redeemer of their social and political oppression, and as a military leader who would lead them to victory that they may once again dominate and control the land of Israel. As we know, such a conception of Christ was false; they misunderstood the Scriptures, for the Messiah was one who had a much greater mission of cosmic significance - the salvation of God's creation from the corruption and slavery of Satan.

This is the reason why Christ on many occasions was quite secretive about his identity as The Messiah, often telling those who had come to know Him as such, not to reveal what they had learnt to others, since people will then develop expectations of Him according to their false pre-conceptions.

The OSB commentary therefore, in an attempt to explain why Christ makes an exception in the case of Mark 5:19, argues that since the man that was healed was in gentile territory i.e. a region occupied predominantly by non-Jews, the people therefore would not have had any pre-conceptions of who the Messiah was and what His function was. There was therefore less of a risk that people would start formulating false expectations of Christ as a victorious socio-political leader.
  • Thankyou iqbal...

I got some other questions..
    Whats the difference between human tradition and Holy tradition? See.. mark 7:1-13 and Orthodox Study Bible?
    washing of pitchers.. is that human tradtion? I thought God wanted the jews before Christ to do that because it might be unclean from unclean animals like reptiles I think?