Jews for Jesus?

edited December 1969 in Non-Orthodox Inquiries
Hi guys! I've found this strange site on the web: JEWS FOR JESUS http://www.jewsforjesus.org/
(take a look at this too: http://www.jewsforjesus.org/blog/20051102meshugge)
They claim Jesus is the Messiah but not God so that's why they are not Christians!
I don't know I'm puzzled, I would like to have your opinion about that. Are they right? I mean if Jews at Jesus' time would believe in Him would they have been still Jews?
Thanks a lot...

Comments

• Actually, the Jews for Jesus organisation does advocate the Truth that Jesus is God and that God is a Trinity.

+They have a webpage attempting to prove that God became man over here: http://www.jewsforjesus.org/answers/theology/godbecameman
    +They also have a webpage attempting to prove that God is a Trinity over here:
    http://www.jewsforjesus.org/answers/theology/godofabraham

They are nonetheless, more or less Protestants. They are certainly not Orthodox that's for sure, and hence though they recognise some fundamental Truths, they do not adhere to the fullness of Truth embodied by the Apostolic Coptic Orthodox Church.

One cannot be a Jew and Christian simultaneously, unless the former refers to ancestry or ethnic identity. There were those in the days of the Apostles, who once being Jews both ethnically and religiously, believed in Christ yet remained steadfast to the customary law, since that was the lifestyle they were used to. The Apostles accomodated for them, albeit upon the understanding that adhering to Jewish customary law is not necessary - it is not a dogmatic Christian doctrine.

There were also those known as the Judaizers; these were the people who were in opposition to the Apostle St Paul, and who rejected his teachings regarding the Jewish law (such as the heretical group known as the Ebionites). They were certainly not Christian in any sense of the word, even if they claimed to believe in Christ as the Messiah.
  • They always try to give me pamphlets when I'm on the subway. The best thing you can do is tell them that you're a Christian for Christ, smile, and walk away.
  • [quote author=Iqbal link=board=12;threadid=2782;start=0#msg42921 date=1132606627]
    They are certainly not Orthodox that's for sure, and hence though they recognise some fundamental Truths, they do not adhere to the fullness of Truth embodied by the Apostolic Coptic Orthodox Church.

Howcome our church is the only one with 'fullness of Truth'? I'm quite sure that all the other churches say the same of themselves and i think remarks like that are not helping all the churches to be reunited again as one body.
    Jews for Jesus are Christians, and are gifted in many aspects of their service. I appreciate our apostolic tradition but i don't think that puts us in a place to say who does and doesnt have the fullness of truth.
    Don't mean to offend anybody, but im just curious. Isnt it arrogance for us to say that we are the only church with all the fundamental truths? When is the last time you heard of a copt bringing a Jew to Christ?
  • Howcome our church is the only one with 'fullness of Truth'? I'm quite sure that all the other churches say the same of themselves and i think remarks like that are not helping all the churches to be reunited again as one body.

Because all other churches have deviated from the fullness of truth. It's really very simple. According to Orthodox Ecclesiology, there is but One Holy Apostolic Church entrusted with the very fullness of Truth. Those who deviate into heresy or schism from the Church are no longer entrustees of the Fullness of Truth.

Jews for Jesus are Christians, and are gifted in many aspects of their service. I appreciate our apostolic tradition but i don't think that puts us in a place to say who does and doesnt have the fullness of truth.

Actually it does; do Jews for Jesus believe in the authority of Church Tradition that encapsulates patristic and conciliar tradition? Nope. They are nothing more or less than a Protestant sect; there is only One Truth. If someone says X and another says Y they cannot both be correct - one holds the Truth, and the other does not; it's really very simple.

Isnt it arrogance for us to say that we are the only church with all the fundamental truths?

No, we are not being triumphant over other churches; we are simply recognising a reality and fact. The Apostolic Orthodox Church was the Church established by Christ via The Apostles. It is One and it is undivided - One Lord, One Faith, and One Baptism. All those sects that have deviated are schismatic and/or heretical.