A Holy type of Selfish!??!?

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
Okay, i put a lot of thought into this.. and now I have a question...

We, as true Christians, are responsible to spread God's word and evangelize and make "disciples of all nations baptizing them...."
How can we do this if one becomes a nun/monk....??

What about ur parents, r u supposed to just leave them and go..
I know theres the verse that says u have to be willing to hate ur family, deny urself, and take up ur cross... but r u really supposed to just leave them.. they'll be old and need some1 to take care of them...

I mean.. how exactly does that work since ur not preaching cuz ur secluded, and u leave all the people who need u??

Comments

• [quote author=MarMar91 link=board=1;threadid=2291;start=0#msg34763 date=1123935147]
    What about ur parents, r u supposed to just leave them and go..
    I know theres the verse that says u have to be willing to hate ur family, deny urself, and take up ur cross... but r u really supposed to just leave them.. they'll be old and need some1 to take care of them...

I mean.. how exactly does that work since ur not preaching cuz ur secluded, and u leave all the people who need u??

I'm not entirely sure about the part about monks & nuns preaching yet..
    but like if anyone came to visit a monastery they would kind of witness by their actions & kindness. like i said i'm sort of struggling with this answer too.. but
    there is this verse here Matt. 19:29
    29 And everyone who has left houses or brothers or sisters or father or mother or wife or children or lands, for My name's sake, shall receive a hundredfold, and inherit eternal life.

my understanding is that when you become a nun/monk, you have died to this world, you give up everything you have to grow closer and deeper in love with God. If its God's will for you to become a nun/monk then God will provide all your family's needs.

if anyone could clarify it a little bit better it would be appreciated :-\

• Yes you are leaving the people who need you for something GREATER and that is God. God has his own ways in providing and taking care of the people you leave behind, as he has His own way in taking care of you after you leave those people behind as well. If you remember the story of Abouna Abed El Messiah, his father didn't want him to leave and become a monk, because he was the one taking care of the family and everything in the house, and his father was afraid that no one will take care of the family after he passes away, so he did every possible thing to make him stay. The only thing that his father wanted was another man to take care of the family, so Abouna prayed that they get a boy, and it happened, and after that it was easy for Abouna to leave, so God takes care of everything in his own way.

We, as true Christians, are responsible to spread God's word and evangelize and make "disciples of all nations baptizing them...."
    How can we do this if one becomes a nun/monk....??

There are some monasteries out there that are both done for preaching and solitary, the monastery of St. Shenouda in Egypt was done like that a few centuries ago, and the place where it was build in was filled of people who were worshipping no God or statues and stuff, and in a few couple years, it was all ended, and this place became all Christians, so the monks and nuns do have role in preaching as well as their job in the monastery, and their solutide life.
    Just want to mention something related to this, we are building soon a monastery here in Rochester, NY, and abouna always talk about how it will be like St. Shenouda's monastery, for monks to have both the life of preaching and the life of solutide. Also, he always talks about how it's going to be a benefit not just to Rochester, but to all of North America, and all of the people living in it, and talks about that later and later on we might have people from different backgrounds and races that will be coming and beliving in God, so it's something to look forward to and to really wish it coupld happen.

29 And everyone who has left houses or brothers or sisters or father or mother or wife or children or lands, for My name's sake, shall receive a hundredfold, and inherit eternal life.

To come back to this verse, it's a great verse to just show how it's much more greater to leave all the wordly things behind for a Greater purpose....God.
    Those who do live their parents behind are getting hundreds and hundreds of mothers and fathers from the monastery, so God has a way for everything and has a way of a rewarding those who come to him as well.

Hope that helped a bit
  • As it was said...a monk/nun is a person who dies from this world...but it's not being selfish when one chooses to die from the world...that's not being selfish...that's being acutely aware of what may hinder his/her path to heaven...

Monasticism is a way of life not everyone is ready for...but for those who are...they have to fight for it...even if resisting family...

It's not hatred nor escapement that drives these brave people...but there love for their Lord drives every other love away...that doesn't mean that they hate their relatives...no...but again, their love to their Lord encomapases all others...

Selfishness it trying to get what you want on other peoples' miseries...or trying to hinder somebody's future for personal reasons, even if out of "love." In fact, true parents would WISH their children go that path, not vice-versa!

RFZ
  • [quote author=MarMar91 link=board=1;threadid=2291;start=0#msg34915 date=1124073289]
    Thanks guys, that helped quite a bit...
    But I've never heard of or seen preaching monk or nuns...

Actaully, I have never seen a Coptic nun before in my life...

how can you say monks dont preach... go to the deir... and ask for a word of wisdom... youll be amazed.
  • There are some in Egypt who don't allow visitors unless with a premession from an Anba or something.
  • well i was just wandering are you looking forward 2 be a nun or what?
    ...i heard that if some1 left your parents probably God will be with them and won't leave them may be because of the prayers of that certain person, couldn't it be? :-\
  • no no no..it's nothing with preaching or worrying about what will happen if you become a monk/nun..you're not keeping in mind that "monasticism is for destined peoples" as is priesthood..so if God intends for you to actually become such, why on earth would you "worry" about your family or anything of the world? Just be glad that you're one of those destined peoples and let God take care of his own. Even when you're in the monastery, can't you preach God's name there? I know that it's a monastery but monks and nuns are subject to sin in the samer manner that we are and even if they are holy men, they can be further inspired and encouraged by the simplest action or word..St. Antony the Great was even inspired by monks less than himself at some points in his life. As for people who aren't destined, they are to spread God's word and preach but not everyone has the gift of preaching either..we can all preach by our actions but in the same manner, the gift of the tongue isn't for all..so don't worry about anything..leave it to God. There is no such thing as "a holy type of selfish"..if you dedicate your life to God, you're not being selfish in the least manner..a lot of people tend to think that monasticism is just hala hala and you go to heaven..far from..you're tempted FAR more and have a greater judgement before God so it's MUCH harder for them to enter heaven so it's definitely not selfish. I assure you, no one in the world needs you as much as they need God and he's always there..
  • “If anyone comes to Me and does not hate his father and mother, wife and children, brothers and sisters, yes, and his own life also, he cannot be My disciple.
  • u r carin' 4 your parents too much i think but 4 me i sometimes don't think about 'em aslan!
  • ok marmar i really like that question but there is a point where when u do somethin for god hes bound to do something back. like if u are really there for ur parents and u honor them a lot then thats awesome and if u decide to leave and become a nun god will reward u! prolly with the crown in heaven as well as prolly taking care of ur parents. and how are u preaching... well i thnk if u become a martr then people are gonna talk to you. and god's command wasnt only to preach.... its ok to do one thing like this and not be able to preach...! its just that if someone would visit you u could preach...!
  • :) i hope i helped but i think i made some confusion. lol. :)
  • Marmar, i dont think that verse meant to literally hate your parents, but you have to be able to let them go. If you truely want to be with God with a clean heart and conscience, God will take care of them in his way. Now, about preaching, who says you don't preach. When you go to a monastery (in Egypt, since there are only 2 in the US), and you see all the monks there, don't you feel really happy inside? And do they not show you around there things about our church, history, theology, ect.. You do preach, its just that the people come to you.
  • Good... ;) :)
  • [quote author=MarMar91 link=board=1;threadid=2291;start=0#msg35706 date=1124936720]
    [quote author=ServantOfJesus link=board=1;threadid=2291;start=0#msg35684 date=1124925273]
    ..so if God intends for you to actually become such, why on earth would you "worry" about your family or anything of the world?

hey hey hey.. how r ur prents"of the world"?

They're not..your worries about them are..they have a God you know..
  • and marmar just out of the open [move]GOD[/move] is like a father to you... remember?