Using God's name in vain

edited July 2005 in Faith Issues
"Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord thy God in vain, for the Lord will not hold him guiltless who takes His name in vain." Exodus 20:7

I understand the concept of using God's name in vain but why is saying something such as "Oh my God", using God's name in vain? I never really looked upon it as belittling God's name in anyway..you're just calling on His name although it's for unimportant reasons often.. but perhaps I'm utterly insane which wouldn't come to me as much of a surprise..anyway, help would be appreciated.

Comments

• well something one of our priests told us once is that when you say something such as "oh my God", its like God turns his head to see what you need, and then its like you're saying to him, Oh, its ok God, I don't really need you. So its like you're turning God away.. or something like that :-\ i don't really remember the full details bcuz this was a long time ago, so my memory is a little sketchy.. but i hope u understood that! :P

God bless u! :)

laura
  • I don't think so... I mean you're calling to him for help.
  • [quote author=Christ4Life link=board=1;threadid=2057;start=0#msg31770 date=1120961280]
    I don't think so... I mean you're calling to him for help.

What do you mean?
  • It depends how it's said..
    Are we saying it in surprise/anger/disbelief and not even acknowledging that we're using His name.. not thinking about Him... just saying it as an expression?

Or are we using this expression in times of trouble and or temptation; e.g. you're watching tv and suddenly a lustful image appears.. and you use this expression... then you ask Him to have mercy.

I don't think it pleases God when we use His name as an expression without acknowledging Him, without really talking to Him. That example by Laura was a good one.

It's good to notice the expressions which we use (both english & arabic), and see if we're possibly using His name in vain... If we are, we should try to mean what we say and acknowledge Our God, who is due all worship, praise, and glory forever.

• [quote author=acopt link=board=1;threadid=2057;start=0#msg31777 date=1120979478]
    It depends how it's said..
    Are we saying it in surprise/anger/disbelief and not even acknowledging that we're using His name.. not thinking about Him... just saying it as an expression?

bulls eye!
    thats exactly correct, we rnt thinking of Him wen we say it so as we dont think of it and we just say it we rputting God down to a state as low as any other word or a swear word coz u rnt reelly calling God. like seriously be honest every tym u say it u callin God or think of God, no not reelly u just say it as u wood say o darn or o ... watever ppl say so u r putting God low thats y u dont say it and somehow ma teacher explained it but that goes in the commandment u shall not worship idols? ya i got confused in that bit but ya hope i helped

GB ALL
    +FROG+
    GOD IS GREAT!!
  • Although we are Orthodox, my children go to a Catholic school for it is the closest thing here to Orthodox.
    When the children are amazed by somthing, perhaps because they don't believe it or it may be unusual, they occasionally say "oh my God". I know that the school has attempted to address this for the reasons given above.
    I have found that the best way to stop saying this is not through total illimination for people just don't all think like that. I got my children to say "oh my COD" instead. At a young age they think it is funny and certianly stops them from using the phrase "oh my GOD". Hopefully when the get older they will not say "oh my COD".
  • [quote author=ServantOfJesus link=board=1;threadid=2057;start=0#msg31727 date=1120949287]
    "Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord thy God in vain, for the Lord will not hold him guiltless who takes His name in vain." Exodus 20:7

I understand the concept of using God's name in vain but why is saying something such as "Oh my God", using God's name in vain? I never really looked upon it as belittling God's name in anyway..your just calling on His name although it's for unimportant reasons often.. but perhaps I'm utterly insane which wouldn't come to me as much of a surprise..anyway, help would be appreciated.

I asked my FOC about this and he told me that simply saying "Oh my God" or "God" isn't in vain, it's calling on him because we need him constantly in our lives. To make it better, I add "Oh my God, help me" because that's what we need him for. Guidance, love, support, and anything that we can think of.

sleepy
  • But that's the point; it's not always in times of need..it's just like you see something surprising and say that.
  • Isn't it better to call on the name of God than using a swearing word ?
  • [quote author=Marianne87 link=board=1;threadid=2057;start=0#msg31959 date=1121102797]
    Isn't it better to call on the name of God than using a swearing word ?

I think they're both equally wrong.. :-\ correct me if i am wrong!

god bless u!!

laura
  • [quote author=Marianne87 link=board=1;threadid=2057;start=0#msg31959 date=1121102797]
    Isn't it better to call on the name of God than using a swearing word ?

Ofcourse it is..but that's not my question. Point is, when you say "Oh my God", it's not always to call on God..you're not really thinking about Him when you say that often..well I speak for myself. It's not in vain if your calling on Him but I've been told that it is if you're just saying it as a normal expression.. :)
  • you're not really thinking about Him when you say that often

Maybe that would get u to think about Him...like maybe we can turn the bad effect to the good effect...when u say OH MY GOD...stop and think about god since u already called his name...I don't know...maybe i am just trying to justify it
  • well, i have another question...since i understand about saying God's name in vain..but is it right or wrong if you say 'Oh my gosh"..i heard it was still inappropriate but I don't know why.. I didn't think we were still calling God's name in vain.
    sis in Christ, makook
  • [quote author=sis in Christ, makook link=board=1;threadid=2057;start=0#msg32120 date=1121188018]
    well, i have another question...since i understand about saying God's name in vain..but is it right or wrong if you say 'Oh my gosh"..i heard it was still inappropriate but I don't know why.. I didn't think we were still calling God's name in vain.
    sis in Christ, makook

yeah my priest said that it was wrong also. i kinda forgot why because it was a long time ago. but i think its because it basically means the same thing, since "gosh" isn't a word, ur just replacing "god" with it. so it means the same thing.. i think..
    lol i have to ask again because it was a long time ago. if someone could please help out. :P but what i usually say is oh my word...
    we asked him about it and he said it was ok.

god bless u :)

laura
  • our priest says that you can say oh my god when you are really happy but other than that you shouldn't say it at all!