fate

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
what do u guys think about fate? Do things happen bcuz there is no way around it... it MUST happen or do things happen for a reason and do we have control. Does God have a part in fate. Its soo confuzin... wat r ur thots?

Comments

• For everything there is a reason, a time for everything under heaven. There is no such thing as fate, there is however the will of God. Everything that happens to us daily is planned by God and only God. We have control in choosing which path to go in every situation, but u have no control in deciding what's gonna happen few minutes from now, because is responsible for that.
  • i dont understand... how do we have the choice to do what we want but God already knows whats gonna happen. Its confusin. Like i understand we have a free will but God is all mighty and can obviously see the future and all that and He knows watll happen.. ???
  • i have an excellent reply to that. My brother is actually the one that said. You see, we have free will and we can do whatever we want but God knows us sooo well in a way beyond our comprehension that He knows exactly what we'll decide. So He's not forcing us to do make the decisions we do, He just knows us well like the way a mother and father would know their child except much more accurate.
  • Yeah, i agree with cremedelescremes...i know its confusing but God knowing the future is very different to the future and our lives being predetermined

God Bless u guys

peter
  • We have free will and God gave us that out of his Love. As for His knowing what is going to happen, he knows us, inside out, so he knows all the possibilities, and chain reactions resulting from it.... even affecting other people, that's why it's so difficult to imagine, because our human brains are soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
    ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo little compared to God's ... obviously :) I think that fate is a word created by unbelieving people. God is God, strong, mighty, Love.... the list goes on, the thing is that out of God's will, anything is possible , ANYTHING!
  • wow gr8 replies every1 really good stuff keep it up guys ;)

GB ALL
    +FROG+
    GOD IS GREAT!!!!!
  • Nahda,
    Excellent question and GREAT topic. But you know me, I have to give my lousy 2 cents.

1) God is all knowing. He knows things before hand. what cremedelescremes said (no offense) fits more the devil than God. God has that knowledge. It is not based on Him knowing us. Let me give you examples to illustrate:

God: His knowledge is like you watching a movie and then seeing it again. You already know what will happen because you saw it. With God, He is not limited by time. So events that may that didn't happen yet as far as we are concerned, are history to Him.

The devil: his knowledge is different. He doesn't know what will happen but can deduce it based on history. I believe a bishop once said that if you look up the devils resume, he has about 5000+ years of expierence in dealing with humans. Because of his expierence, he can expect (not defenit) what will happen. He knows that if he tempts someone to steal, he will steal. This is not defnite, but 99% of the time they listen. Perfect example, Last year the Red Socks won the world series for the first time in 80 some odd years. Someone who is a sports fan might say that based on thier history from knowing the team and the way they played, and from watching so many games that he can "predict" the outcome of this game. Some mathematicians may even ben able to "predict" the score.

That is the difference between God's knowledge of the future and the devil's.

As for fate, I really like what keep smiling said:

I think that fate is a word created by unbelieving people. God is God, strong, mighty, Love

Its a word created by non believers instead of saying God. (same can go for destiney) They don't want to think that they are subject to God's love and care and rather be subjects to an unknown being. (kinda like the force in the star wars movies)

So the word "fate" does not exist in our christian vocabulary, instead we can use "God's will". We have free will in our choices but God still controls the universe and he is the "coordinator" of the universe. I really like that discription because he somehow takes our choices and make them fit into His plan. He doens't alter our choices but may influnce them. For example, a student taking an exam and has an opportunity to cheat, God may remind him that it is wrong however the student has the choice of cheating or not. If he doesn't cheat, then he made God's will and overcame the devil. If he does, then he might get caught and being that he is introuble he repents and maybe that would be a turning point in his life. (maybe its a bad example, but I hope I made the point clear)

Bottom line is, I may choose which way to take home tonight but I can't control whether I am going to get stuck in traffic.

I hope my 2 cents help.
  • hold on... If God knows everything that we will do, why would he even judge us ? We have free will. God knows all the possibilities and chain reactions, but it wouldn't be fair if God knew EVERY SINGLE THING WE DO seeing he'll be judging us, what would be the point of living then. Seeing that God is Just, I think he knows all the combinations of our choices, thoughts and feelings, but wouldn't know what we do until we do it. He can expect it because he knows every possibility, but cannot ALREADY know, otherwise, what good would our free will be?

correct me if i'm wrong...
  • hey Nahda #1, I think if fate is the only controlling factor that decide our destiny, then there would be no meaning for our lives. God gave everyone of us the complete will either to do good or deviate from his teachings.. God just shows us the way, then comes our turn to decide.. I think thats why everyone will be judged .. ::)
  • wat all u guys have said r so right
    the future an wat hapens is always and wil always
    be gods will. he is the one that controls everything.
    an remeber everythin happens for a reason. ;)
    please pray 4 me guys
    mazza
  • good stuff everybody i like ur explanation copticboy i get it now good stuff and every1 else very good ;)
    :D good stuff mazza
    yes everything happens for a reason and dont forget God never wastes a hurt :)

GB ALL
    +FROG+
    GOD IS GREAT!!!