why do we have to take orban?

edited May 2005 in Faith Issues
hey guys i want someone to reply me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
why do we have to take orban why not bread?
because jesus ate bread on the on thursday(KHAMEES EL AHD).
do we have to do what jesus did do he ate bread why do we eat orban??????????????????????????????????

Comments

• u meant WHY not wjy :-*
  • dahhhhhhhh
    it is not your job!! 8)
  • and u both the same person ? ???
  • nooooooooooooooooooooway first of all i am 14 and she is 10 second of all she is sandrahanna2 and i am sandrahanna only I HOPE THAT MAKE SENCE?
  • corban

a Hebrew word adopted into the Greek of the New Testament and left untranslated.
    It occurs only once (Mark 7:11). It means a gift or offering consecrated to God.
    Anything over which this word was once pronounced was irrevocably dedicated to
    the temple. Land, however, so dedicated might be redeemed before the year of
    jubilee (Lev. 27:16-24). Our Lord condemns the Pharisees for their false
    doctrine, inasmuch as by their traditions they had destroyed the commandment
    which requires children to honour their father and mother, teaching them to
    find excuse from helping their parents by the device of pronouncing "Corban"
    over their goods, thus reserving them to their own selfish use.

hey hopes this helps
    God bless, Rene
  • but jesus ate bread not carban!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i think a catholic girl asked me that question! ???
  • When Jesus broke the bread on Holy Thursday, He commanded us to carry on this tradition by saying "Do this in remembrance of Me." The idea is still here when we use the orban instead of bread, but when you REALLY think about it, you can't just use any bread that you might be eating the next day for lunch to be the Holy Body of Christ. The church makes these specific ones with the crosses, coptic lettering, etc. to make it stand out from just regular bread, because it isn't just ANY body which it is about to become..

Hope I helped to answer your question ;)

Pray For Me & May God Bless You All
    -Sarra
  • To elaborate on KhristosAnesti's great posting...

The Kourban has a lot of representations in it... which is why we use it and it looks the way it does...

i was told all this by my priest...

- The reason it is round 1) it symbolizes God's love, it has no beginning and no end
    2) It shows that the disciples and apostles went all over the world preaching Christianity...

- It has 12 little crosses in the middle, to represent the 12 disciples

- It has a bigger Cross to represent Christ Himself (His death on the cross)

- It has 5 'spaces'/'holes' to represent the 5 wounds of Christ -- 2 for the nails in each hand, 1 for the nails in His feet, 1 for the crown of thorns, and 1 for the spear that pierced His side