Do you have to confess over something you don't regret?

edited August 2006 in Faith Issues
see subject title

Comments

• Alithos anecte

Love is not wrong, provided we don't do anything wrong or overstep boundaries..... Also there is a time and place for everything. .... An aspect of repentance is feeling bad/ guilty about a sin we have done- I'm not sure of the exact word, you said regret- as a result comes confession........ lets say you had disagreement/ fight with someone then I would talk things with them and also go to abouna. Hope you're not confused by what I put

Fady
  • Christ is Risen, Indeed He is Risen

Hello MarMar91,

Going to the F.O.C. to confess is the last step to have pease with God. Before that :

1- the person must feel that he have sinned and acknowledge that he/ she is separated fome the Divine help.

2- sincere repentance with God in prayer, just between the person and God.

Fom your story,MarMar91, I can not tell. But as you said to love someone is not sin, actually God has commanded us to love one another " This is My commandment to love one another, just I have loved you. " John 15:12
    If love is attached with lust , then I think this is sin, but I do not know, I am myself is the cheif sinner.

Perhaps it is better to discuss your situation with your F.O.C.

Forgive me if I do not make sense
  • Pikhristos Aftonf! Khen O Methmi Aftonf!

Well, here's just my 0.5 cents as usual...

First off, i'd like to say that our FOC is not only available for confession. They're there as spiritual guidance and to give good advice. Often times i would sit with my FOC, talk to him, and he would pray the absolution on me, but i wouldn't have confessed anything. i'd talk to him about a decision i had to make, a question that's been on my mind, anything... he's not just there to hear your sins and absolve them...

Having siad that, i believe you can go talk to your FOC about a situation like this. He'll give you the proper advice as to how to go about 'dealing with' or 'reacting to' this situation. You don't need to confess, there's not much to confess really, but he can tell you how to avoid sinning in this situation.

Feelings and emotions are a sensative aspect in life, and playing around with them can cause people to get hurt or fall into sin....

Love is not a sin, in fact, its the greatest commandment and is what kept Jesus on the Cross for us. However, they we choose to experss this love, that is usually the sin.
    Generally speaking, during teenage years, when we like someone, its often infatuation, not love - which does cause us to fall into sin.

Love suffers long and is kind; love does not envy; love does not parade itself, is not puffed up; does not behave rudely, does not seek its own, is not provoked, thinks no evil; does not rejoice in iniquity, but rejoices in the truth; bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. Love never fails. - Cor 13

As adolescants, we don't usually associate all those charactersitcs of love when we're attracted to another person, we like them, not love them... because love is what was listed in that verse, and we dont usually have that kind of love for someone.

Liking someone is not a sin, however its a very good tool that the devil uses to cause us to fall into sin. Instead of paying attention in a mass, we might be thinking about the person or looking at the person; instead of praying properly at night, we might be up late talking to them on msn, or on the phone, or talking to someone else about them; instead of pleasing our parents by doing school work, we would choose to go out with the person... etc. All those are sins that are a result of us liking a person....
    That is when we should go confess.

It's okay to like someone, the church makes it seem really bad because of what we do as a result of liking that person...
    Its a part of life, and we can't do much about it, its just smartly dealing with it that sets the line between needing to confess it and needing to talk about it in a spiritual aspect...

If a person doesn't regret somthing, then there is no point in confession. The sacarament is called Repentance and Cofession - meaning you have repent as well as confess for the scarament to take effect...
    If a person doesn't regeret somthing because they don't know if somthing is a sin or not, or if it is leading to sin (perhaps as the example given), then talking to our FOC is a good first step to understanding if somthing is wrong or right and if it needs confession or not...

Hope i didn't offend anyone or confuse too many people..

Take Care, God Bless, and Pray for me
  • hi MarMar91

Actually I do not have too much things to say it after all these

good words above .

but I think you talking about a special kind of love ...exactly like

the love between issac and refka I think all of us know the

story from the bible.

that was the truely love and we can see after this love they got

married. also it's same kind of love between jacob and raheel...

and see how many years this love stay befor the marred I think

14 years..

so love is not a sin I beleve but it depends on the kind of love!!!

God bless.
  • u guys have the best reply's good on ya

wel the fisrt thing u need to consider an ask urself is that- do u believe that wat ur doin is wrong? are u going to affect or hurt ani1 around u? are u going to do somethin agaisnt wat we have been taught? hope u inderstand wat i mean
    an as some1 said b4 our foc isnt jus 4 confession he's also our helper wen we need him; turst me on that one lol
    wat im tryin 2 say is that jus talk 2 him an see wat he thinks cus i know exactly wat u mean lol
    god bless
    and HAPPY EASTER every1
    love use all
  • k...i know that somehow I will be repeating what was said above, but to just answer the topic question, you don't really have to confess over something you don't regret, but how would you know if this thing is wrong or right, if you don't ask ur FOC, so I guess you just talk to them like CrazyCopt said, you talk to them in a somehow friendly manner if I could use that word. Like it was said above, no one said love is wrong and no one said that feelings toward anyone is wrong, it kinda of leads to dating somehow. Every FOC would understand when you tell them that you have feelings for someone, they won't necessary agree with it, but they do UNDERSTAND, what I am getting at is that they heard a lot of confessions before, they know what you mean when you tell them that, but don't forgot, they also saw the consequences from that, so they know exactly how this kind of feelings is going to lead to. Sometimes, I don't really have to agree with my FOC, and I do tell him that, and I do argue about it, to just get my point across, and at the end we come to a conclusion to what is right and what is wrong. Yes, I know exactly what u mean about loving someone, because I went through it myself, but bottom line is just wait, time will show you whether this is true feeling, or just a strong attachement (I am not even bringing lust in here...so I am just saying a strong attachement, which usually isn't love and may last long, but usually fades away), you are actually not wasting ur time when u ask about that, you are getting advice. You may not agree with a single word that anyone of us said, or with a single word, ur FOC said, but time will tell u what is really love and what isn't.

Khristos Anesty..Alisos Anesty
    God Bless,
    Marianne
  • well to top off this discussion, love is temporary blinding, just talk to the adults in ur family about the situation. u may not see there point of view right away, but time will tell. however try to be nonchalant, casual about love. Focus on the important things at hand, such as ur studies, job. if its true love, then ur bound to be wit that person. Also there is nothing to confess, u didn't do anything wrong. u may feel regret because ur parents my not approve, so talk to them. Hope i helped in anyway. God Bless
  • There is no point of confessing something you don't regret..you won't be forgiven if there is no repentance..how can you go to the next step without going to the first? Repentance and then confession..God bless. :)
  • [quote author=ServantOfJesus link=board=1;threadid=1524;start=0#msg24671 date=1115955074]
    There is no point of confessing something you don't regret..you won't be forgiven if there is no repentance..how can you go to the next step without going to the first? Repentance and then confession..God bless. :)

I agree 1000000% repentance then confession! otherwise its pointless!

God Loves You :)
    pray 4 me