Monastacism vs. Marriage

2»

Comments

• [quote author=ServantOfJesus link=board=1;threadid=1463;start=15#msg24055 date=1114121456]

Back to the topic: Who ever said the narrow path didn't have branches? (I know it's narrow but come on now ;D)

I think the narrow paths has myriads of branches all leading, ultimately, to the same goal.. but why waste your life planning and thinking ahead and forget to live in the present? I mean to say that God has already planned a road for us to take, and with prayers, etc. we will follow that path. I also, truly believe that God sends a certain sign to people who he wants to live a life devoted to Him. I'm not suggesting a chariot of fire in the air or anything, but something that has a large meaning... to someone else it, it could be completely random and pointless but to that person whom it was meant for, something amazing.. And many of us are only teens so we really can't decide what we want to do now because chances are that in the next few years, we'll change our minds.. Also, we should take sometime, even just a couple of minutes to assess ourselves.. Look at yourself and be completely honest with yourself(...something i've found very hard lol). Truly make sure that if you are thinking of becoming a monk/nun, you aren't just fond of the idea of monasticism.. Don't try to rely on yourself to solve your problems and plan your future but rather, Trust your life in Jesus's hands because He's more capable than we are. This might help: (sorry for all the little stories but I promise this one is shorter lol)

In Whose Hands

A basketball in my hands is worth about $19.
    A basketball in Michael Jordan's hands is worth about $33 million.

It depends whose hands it's in.

A baseball in my hands is worth about $6.
    A baseball in Mark Mcguire's hands is worth $19 million.

A tennis racket is useless in my hands.
    A tennis racket in Pete Sampras' hands is a Wimbledon Championship.

A rod in my hands will keep away a wild animal.
    A rod in Moses' hands will part the mighty sea.

A sling shot in my hands is a kid's toy.
    A sling shot in David's hand is a mighty weapon.

Two fish and 5 loaves of bread in my hands is a couple of fish sandwiches.
    Two fish and 5 loaves of bread in God's hands will feed thousands.

Nails in my hands might produce a birdhouse.
    Nails in Jesus Christ's hands will produce salvation for the entire world.

As you see now it depends whose hands it's in.

So we can put our concerns, our worries, our fears, our hopes, our dreams, our families, and our relationships in God's hands because --

It depends whose hands they're in.

God Bless you all, pray for me...

Your sister,
    Mariam
  • well said
  • hehe, theres nothing wrong with thinking of a future ;D, and 4 kids would be perfect! anywhoo...
    thats just me
  • MarMarNeMaTaLLa - very well said, I love that piece.
  • ya...tht was a really good piece MarMarNeMaTaLLa ...and the first one was too...I understand it's all in God's hands...but i don't wanna say will God "favor" those in the monasteic life...more than those who got married and such...

I read an article and that's where i came up w/ the question...the article was more about purity...how people who are in the monastery are more pure than those who are married...it didn't came out and said that they are more pure...but that they have a different kind of purity than those who are married..

God Bless,
    Marianne
  • hmm marmarnemetalla,

i c uv learned from me(hehe) jk
  • Here's how i look at it...

in regards to purity, monks DO have more purity because they don't necessarily have to give attention to ppl around them. Their entire lives depend on God: their food, their sleep, and obviously their prayers.

married ppl have to give attention to those around them, but their attention can't surpass the attention given to God. The way I look at it, if u have given ur entire attention and service to God, you pretty much can't top that!
  • as far as i understand, a monk or a nun are married to the church, but i might be mistaken with a priest...either way, both are sacred relationships! remember marriage is one of the 7 church sacraments!