Lelit-Abu Ghalamses

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
hi everyone, im doin a presentation on sunday on lelat- Abu Ghalamses, n i was wondering if anyone has any info on it. thanx

Comments

• well i think they read ALL of Revalation !

which takes up the whole night !

and they do matonias ! those are fun ;D
  • We start by Psalm 151 (I am the youngest among my brothers)
    Then Tasbeha, in the annual tune.
    We say Tenen (we only say it during the month of Kiahk and that night)
    We read parts from the old Testment (mainly talking about people who God has delivered from tribulation, ex. Daniel, the three saintly youth, the story of Sosanna, etc.)
    Then we do the raising of incense
    Then we prep the oil (a plate of olive oil, we put seven pieces of cotton and they get lit in order)
    We read Revelation.
    People get annointed by the oil as decons sing Psalm 150.
    We then start Morning raising of insence and liturgy. all the readings are said in the sad tune but halfway thru it changes to the joyfull tune (the hardest part about that liturgy)
    We do not read the Synixarim and we do not pray the prayer of reconciliation (same as on Thursday). Abouna doesn't pray the commoration of the saints nor does he menton the prayer for the departed.
    During communion, we don't say Psalm 150 (I forgot why)
    I believe that wraps it up.
  • wel coptic boy said it all- dat was gr8 but all i know is dat we read all of revelations lol ;)
  • lol same here mazza i no of mass and revelation lol

good stuff coptic boy thats excellent :) ;) :D ;D

i LUVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV it soooooo much

GB ALL
    +FROG+
  • thanx CopticBoy, but i need more info. like y we read certain things, y do we even have lelit-abu ghlamases, etc.
  • yes, thats a good breif outine!! good on ya!

also, another interesting thing is that, when they read the revelations, whenever the word "incense" is said abouna needs to walk around with the shorya around the church.

[quote author=LostEgPrincess link=board=1;threadid=1442;start=0#msg23708 date=1113571829]
    thanx CopticBoy, but i need more info. like y we read certain things, y do we even have lelit-abu ghlamases, etc.

also, from my memory, abouna gave us Quizes during the whole night!!, yes, i thnk when good friday is over, and we start to go back to doing everything directly in front of the hekal, by going back there, it represents us standing inside of the tomb of Christ.
    on Good Friday, or however, the other days of the Pascha, we are standing outside the step in front of the hekal (in other words; where the congregation sit) becoz I Think, its showing how the Earth and the Heveans have become and or/is seperated from eachover.

this is from my knowledge, anyone could take in consideration to fix up or correct what i wrote, as it is not so accurate.

Good Luck in ur presentation LostEgPrincess!
    GBU
  • First of all we start with psalm 151 cause it has a parallel with the story of Christ conquering satan. If u read the txt it says in the end something like: I beheaded him with my sword ( i forgot the exact txt), just like David killed Goliath and removed the shame of Israël, our David ie Christ conquered on the cross and removed the shame of sin for the spiritual Israël: the Christians.

We read from the old testament for several reasons: one of them is that we commemorate that Christ descended to Hades while his body was in the tomb, to free the souls of the righteouss.

We read from the revelations as we commemorate the that the Second Coming of Christ could be at any time (cause Revelations speaks about the end of the world for a big part).

The morning raising of incense is to prepare for the Liturgy. In the Liturgy we don't pray the prayer of Reconciliation cause the reconciliation was accomplished after the resurrection (so i heard lol), and uhm the tunes of the whole night are half sad and half annual (not joyfull actually) cause we are in a state of hapiness over salvation and the coming resurrection, and still sad for all the sufferings our Lord went trough due to our sins.

I hope this helps, and i'll see if i can dig some more things up ;)
  • thanx Mikhail and Hos Erof, that really helped. Keep them coming! ;D
  • Hey guys, I'm also doing this presentation with LostEgPrincess, and the more info we get, the better. I really appreciate all the effort that everyone is putting in to help us out. WE NEED IT! lol.

sleepy
  • [quote author=LostEgPrincess link=board=1;threadid=1442;start=0#msg23708 date=1113571829]
    thanx CopticBoy, but i need more info. like y we read certain things, y do we even have lelit-abu ghlamases, etc.

LostEgPrincess,
    We have lelit-abu ghalamses because we don't want to sleep when we are waiting for Christ to come back from the dead. Its like when you are expecting something exciting to happen, you have a hard time sleeping the night before.
    Also, remember the parable of the wise virgins. We want to stay up in anticipation of the Glory of God.

Hos Erof,
    Not only did David kill Goliath, but David was the youngest among his brothers, considered to be the weakest, almost rejected. Like Christ who was rejected and became the salvation of the world.

Mikhail,
    We pray in the second Chorus (that area were the congregation sits) for 2 reasons.
    1) Jesus was crucified outside of Jerusalim (the Alter and the first chorus, where the deacosn sit, are considered Jerusalim)
    2) Jesus spent the week outside of Jerusalim (He would go to the city in the morning, but spend the night outside)

After the 11th hour of Good Friday, we move to the second Chorus because the veil has been cut and there is nothing to seperat us from the Alter now. We don't actually pray it from the second Chorus, we devide up the deacons, one from inside, and the other from outside (thok tati Gom 6 are done from the second chorus and 6 are done from the third) We also wear the Badrashin (the sash deacons wear) on the red side (Tradition also says that people used to pause to take down the dark or black cloths covering the church, we don't do that now for the sake of time)
    I hope this helped
  • [quote author=Coptic boy link=board=1;threadid=1442;start=0#msg23565 date=1113269221]
    During communion, we don't say Psalm 150 (I forgot why)

Well, I know that it is correct that we don't sing Psalm 150, and instead, we sing "Panoti Panoti" (see http://tasbeha.org/mp3/Hymns/Other_Occasions/Bright_Saturday/Ibrahim_Ayad/Part_3.html to listen to the hymn). I actually have the text in english! Here's some of it...

My God, my God give heed to me, why have you forsaken me? Why are you so far from helping me, and from the words of my roaring?
    Everyone that sees me laugh me to scorn: they shoot out the lip, they shake the head, saying, He trusted on the LORD that he would deliver him: let him deliver him, seeing he delighted in him...

It goes on like that for a while in that mood and tone of abandon and sorrows...until the last paragraph, where it goes:

Then was out mouth filled with laughter, and our tongue with singing: they said they among the heathen, the LORD has done great things for them. The LORD has great things for us; whereof we are glad. And Glory be to God forever. Amen.

For those interested in having the whole text to say it during the liturgy on Bright Saturday let me know, I won't have any problems typing the text 4 u guys anytime.
    Please pray for me.
    Dany
  • kool thnx dany

GB ALL
    +FROG+
  • Thanks you guys. This stuff is really awesome, but we can't use any more info. It's over. lol. However, keep the stuff coming in. It's mucho interesting. lol.

sleepy