Need Clearification....

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
Hey all...
I came across this passage in the Bible as I was reading, and it kinda had me confused:

Matthew 10:34-36
"Do not think that I came to bring peace on earth. I did not come to bring peace but a sword. For I have come to "set a man against his father, a daughter against her mother, and a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law"; and "a man's enemies will be those of his own household." "

Now, I know we're supposed to value Christ over everything and everyone, but I'm confused as to how this verse is communicated, it seems kinda... perhpas... violent?
I mean, it wasnt a pleasant thing to read really, considering the few chapters before were nice and educational....

I mean.... Christianity is all about peace and love... and it may confuse some who read it.... (I think)

Why would our Lord say He came to bring a sword, not peace? Why whould He say that He's setting members of the household against each other?

I believe I've managed to confuse those who are reading this... (its ok, I confused me too).... but.... does anyone know where I'm trying to go with this?

Take care and God bless...

Comments

• hey, i pretty much did the samething you did when i came accross the verses and i was like huh?? but the OSB explains it quite clearly let me post that for you, and if that doenst help i am sure someone will help you out:)

10:34,35: Just before his passion, the most violent of events, christ prmosed peace to his disciples. but the message here is that the existance of evil mecessitates war. the earth to which christ came was under the athourity of satan (John 12:31; 2cor 4:4), who deluded the whol world, it is therefor essential that Christ wage war against the leader of vice with his wepons of virtue.

10:35-39: the gospel can creat sharpo confilicts within families because of unbelief and evil in people. to carry HIS CROSS to the end, a true desciple must be ready, if absolutely necessary, to sacfifice even family relationships.

its simple realy it says that inorder to fight satan Chrsit must bring the sowrd of virtue! and that when it comes to Christ and your faith you have to fight for it, even if you lose family members and fight with them! i hope that helps

may God enlighten us with his word. Amen

maria
  • CrazyCopt:

I mean.... Christianity is all about peace and love... and it may confuse some who read it.... (I think)

First of all let us get something straight; Christ undoubtedly, and without question teaches us to be peacemakers (Matthew 5:9 cf. Lk 2:14), commands us to love (Mark 12:30-32), even our enemies (Matthew 5:42-44), opposes the sword (Matt. 26:52), and values families (Matt. 5:27-32; 15:4-6; 19:4-9). Despite all this, our commitment to God is first and foremost, and if that means we experience ostracism from our families because of this commitment, than we must be strong and be prepared to face and accept it, in the name of Christ.

Anyone who takes this “sword� literally (which you CrazyCopt obviously have NOT, but im speaking generally of those sort of skeptics) is obviously ignorant of the context in which Christ applies the term – which concerns the spread of the Gospel message (he is actually addressing his 12 disciples, whom he is preparing to send out on their mission to spread the Gospel to all nations). Christ speaks not of the sword of violence, the sword for example of the religious leader of Islam – Muhammed who needed to wage war and conquer nations by it to establish his cult, but rather the Gospel message itself (which as we know was spread by the apostles without any need for violence - they in fact all suffered violence for their preaching and all but 1 were martyred without resistance)– which is a metaphorical sword of division – which divides the truth from falsehood, the darkness from the light – and we all know, those in falsehood hate the truth, and those in darkness hate the light, because the darkness does not comprehend it (John 1:5).

It is we, as preachers and propagators of his message, that are to suffer under this very sword, suffer the hate of those who hate the truth, to suffer the evil of those to whom the Gospel message exposes with its shining bright light. Therefore this sword is applied to US as followers of Christ, its not a sword we wield against others. The demands of the Gospel message, and the kingdom of God are so offensive to a world, that is already convinced in its own rightness....that Christ is simply warning us of the harsh reality of the hostility that the Gospel message will provoke from such a world.

Despite this warning of Christ that we will suffer this sword, and face persecution, hatred, and division, even within our own families for His name's sake, the Bible makes it clear, that the union that we as believers have in and with Christ will grant us a peace that transcends all understanding:

"Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable-if anything is excellent or praiseworthy-think about such things. Whatever you have learned or received or heard from me, or seen in me-put it into practice. And the God of peace will be with you. I rejoice greatly in the Lord that at last you have renewed your concern for me. Indeed, you have been concerned, but you had no opportunity to show it. I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, w hether living in plenty or in want. I can do everything through him who gives me strength. Yet it was good of you to share in my troubles." Philippians 4:6-14

Christ gives us the power to cope with all of life's difficulties, assuring us peace in spite of all tribulation.
  • thanks for the clearification guys!
    ;D

Take care and God bless
  • St. Paul tells us what that sword is in Ephesians chapter 6‎
    ‎"And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the ‎‎word of God;" (Ephesians 6:17)‎
    In Revelation, St. John talks to us about the double edged sword from God's mouth. So ‎the Sword here really means the words of Christ, or the Bible.‎
    Hope that clarifies things.‎
  • so just to make sure the sowrd is the virtue or the gosple or what cause i am not sure!

Maria