The Filioque and revelation 22-1 ?

Hello everybody i am a follower of the oriental orthodox church and i believe in trinity and that the holy spirit proceed from the father only. but i learnt that the catholic church defend " The Filioque- and the son " using the scripture revelation 22-1. so i want to know the teaching of the Coptic church on the scripture revelation 22-1. thank you

Comments

• edited April 2023
    Hello frezer,
    I came across your post while researching this issue myself about two months ago, but the registration for an account on tasbeha.org wasn't working until today. I couldn't find any Orthodox English sources about Revelation 22:1, Oriental or Eastern. However, st-takla.org has an Arabic commentary that I found useful.
    Now, from my understanding, Revelation 22:1 says that John saw "A pure river of water of life, clear as crystal, proceeding from the throne of God and of the Lamb." We see the three persons of the trinity, the Father represented by the throne of God, the Son represented by the Lamb, and the Holy Spirit represented by the Water of Life. On the surface, this is a clear affirmation of the Filioque. However, this does not present a theological challenge. Jesus himself said that "But when the Helper comes, whom I shall send to you from the Father, the Spirit of truth who proceeds from the Father, He will testify of Me" (John 15:26). In other words, the Holy Spirit proceeds from the Father, but we can only receive him because of the Son. Without the Son, we cannot receive the Holy Spirit. It is because of this that we see the Water of Life proceeding from the Throne of God and of the Lamb, because if the lamb was not present we would not see the Water of Life. The Son said that he will send us the Holy Spirit from the father, and so this is just a vision of the accomplishment of this promise. Sadly, it was misinterpreted. I am sorry that no one else responded yet, but it may be because of the registration issues. I hope this helps!
    By the way, if someone sees this and disagrees, please correct me, I still have trouble wrapping my head around theological concepts.
  • hello and welcome lab221.
    the original poster has not been online for a while, so will probably not see our posts.
    i agree that this verse in revelation does not support the filioque.
    the Son sends the Holy Spirit, however the Holy Spirit does not 'proceed' from the Son, but only from the Father.
    we worship and glorify Him together with the Father and the Son
    :)
  • Hi guys

The Filioque, a clause added to the Nicene Creed, has been a point of theological debate for centuries. Revelation 22:1 describes the river of life flowing from the throne of God and of the Lamb, which doesn't necessarily relate to the Filioque controversy. Free Fire

• i agree aliya 77, and welcome to the forum :)
    i hope you also go to real life tasbeha (night praise), which is a wonderful way to honour God
    :)
  • edited March 28
    @Candy Crush You are correct. Revelation 22:1, which describes the river of life flowing from the throne of God and of the Lamb, is not directly related to the Filioque controversy. The verse is typically understood as a symbolic depiction of the divine presence and the life-giving nature of God.

The Filioque controversy primarily revolves around the theological question of the procession of the Holy Spirit. The addition of the phrase "and the Son" (Filioque in Latin) to the Nicene Creed by the Western Church (Roman Catholic Church) has been a point of disagreement with the Eastern Orthodox and Oriental Orthodox churches.

The controversy involves differing theological perspectives and interpretations of various biblical passages, church fathers' writings, and historical traditions. The Oriental Orthodox churches, including the Coptic Orthodox Church, do not accept the Filioque clause and maintain that the Holy Spirit proceeds from the Father alone.
  • pls delete the bot post (the blue words are a hyperlink that lead to a web page where the bot wants you to spend money)