Praxis response before Praxis reading

Hi,

I always wonder why we chant the Praxis response before reading the praxis?
Responses should come after and not before doing something like the Gospel response after reading the Gospel.

Yoan.

Comments

• It kind of makes sense, however we also chant parts for martyrs in this hymn, does that mean they are also acknowledged as the first among the Apostles, I don't think so :)

If it's befitting to say it before the praxis reading, a different name than "response" would have been more appropriate I guess.
  • Hi @Yoan,
    I agree with you I don't think the article that @ItalianCoptic kindly provided makes sense generally speaking.. I think it only addresses one aspect which is singing the Acts response to Virgin Mary which is in itself a newish practice anyway. Acts responses ought to mimic the story of the day and that is why as you rightly say we add verses to other saints, martyrs, apostles or refer to the Lordly acts of salvation as well as the other events in His life. Now, thinking about it, ⲧⲁⲓϣⲟⲩⲣⲓ is technically a Pauline response along with the ϩⲓⲧⲉⲛ ⲛⲓ, and so is ⲟⲛⲧⲱⲥ a Catholic Epistle response, so if you don't like the word response as it implies answering something, then it's fine I think to use "prelude", "intro", simply "hymn" etc.
  • @ophadece

I wish people would be so I inquisitive about those electric candles! I try, my friend. I just needed some non Facebook Coptic Theological arguments.
  • Hi @ItalianCoptic,
    I guess your posts are really edifying and educational for me and everyone else I am sure we all agree, and I believe that you as a person are really so diligent and inquisitive and have a vast background of knowledge and experience. I just think that some people give themselves the green light to write every contemplation they have, adorn them with some Biblical verses and priestly nice sounding quotes and voila we have a trusted source. Having said all of that, you of all people are someone who is able to discern the wheat from the chaff. God bless you and pray for us a lot please..
    Ⲟⲩϫⲁⲓ ϧⲉⲛ Ⲡϭⲥ
  • is the word 'response' different in arabic or coptic?

i think what the original poster is getting at is that a response comes AFTER something, not before it.

the theological reflections are lovely, though

:-)

• Dear @mabsoota
    I have yet to find an original Coptic euchologion (and I mean authentic). I guess response is the English translation of the Arabic expression which again reflects something coming after something else..
    Ⲟⲩϫⲁⲓ ϧⲉⲛ Ⲡϭⲥ