The Catholic Faith

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
What are the main differences between the Catholic faith and the Orthodox faith?

Comments

• Major differences, particularly relating to the "hierarchy" of the church leaders.

1- In essence, catholics believe that their pope is without sin - we believe that ours is human and therefore, sins.

2-The catholic church puts St. Peter as the founder of christianity. We do not.

3-Catholics priests are not "called" as ours are

4-Catholic priests cannot marry - others are.

There are more differences, but I can't think of them right now.

Hope this helps out....

God bless you,

ML
  • [quote author=ml link=board=1;threadid=1042;start=0#msg17786 date=1105317774]
    3-Catholics priests are not "called" as ours are

What do u mean by called? I never heard of that before...can u explain a bit more...thanks

God Bless,
    Marianne
  • Sure..... ;)

In our church, ordinary men are "called" by the Lord to leave the lives that they have known and become priests. Not everyone who desires to become a priest can do so. It is a "spiritual calling" to lead and serve.

In the catholic church, any young man who wishes to become a priest, simply has to enroll in a priest-hood formation program at the university/college and graduate. Most of them go on and attend a seminary where they earn a post-graduate degree in theology or the like. So, you see, it is not a "calling". It is a university degree.

Very different than our church.

I hope that helped :)

Take care and GBU

ML

• yeah thanks that helped a bit...I still don't get how they are "called"...I mean I don't really know of the history of how priests in our church get ordanied. I thought they get nominated or something by people in the church, or by another priest or something...is that what u mean by "called" or how do actually priests become priests in our church...thanks again for ur help
    God Bless,
    Marianne
  • Another difference between the Coptic and Catholic faith is that Catholics believe in the "immaculate conception" meaning that St. Mary was born WITHOUT original sin and is a co-redeemer with Christ.

In the Coptic faith, we obviously reject this notion. Even St Mary said in Luke 1:46-47, "My soul magnifies the Lord and my spirit rejoices in God my Savior..." If St. Mary had no original sin, she would not be in need of a Savior; so obviously, our church righly rejects this doctrine of immaculate conception.

Catholics also believe in Purgatory, which we do not. For an explanation of this issue, check out: http://www.suscopts.org/literature/literature.php?misc=search&subaction=showfull&id=1084916893&archive=&cnshow=news&start_from=&;

I'm quite sure Pope Shenouda or one of our metropolitans or bishops wrote a book about the differences between our faiths. Sorry I can't remember the name right now, but maybe someone else will.
  • ummmmm... catholics dont believe that the pope is sinless. i know because i go to a catholic school and they say that the only sinless people EVER were jesus and st mary.
  • I think the more correct term is infalable, meaning it does NOT make mistakes. Any word he says is equivilant to that of the Bible, or the apostles. They do believe that he does NOT sin (when was the last time you heard he went for confession?)

One more difference is baptisim
    We (orthodox) baptize by submerging in water, while they sprinkle water (seems like not that big of a deal, right) but it is. A person being baptized has to be submerged in water three times to represent when Jesus was buried for three days. Also, Baptizm comes from dieing (as in painting, or coloring) If you were to dey something, you have to submerge it in the dey. finally Jesus was submerged in water

"When He had been baptized, Jesus came up immediately from the water; and behold, the heavens were opened to Him, and He saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove and alighting upon Him. And suddenly a voice came from heaven, saying, "This is My beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased." (Mathew 3:16,17)

They also don't let thier children get commuion till later in their lives so they appriciate it. Which is TOTALY WRONG.
  • ooo..ooo you guys missed purgutory. They believe that one can enter heaven after being punished for a allotted amount of time determined by god
  • 2-The catholic church puts St. Peter as the founder of christianity. We do not.

i'm not sure if they believe he's the founder of christianity, but they do believe that he was the founder of the church of Rome...

however we don't agree with this either lol
    there's a lot of reasons for this:

-some quotes from the Romans, chapter 1:

For I long to see you, that I may impart unto you some spiritual gift, to the end ye may be established

So, as much as in me is, I am ready to preach the gospel to you that are at Rome also.

So basically what he's speaking of is that he is planning to go to Rome, to preach to them and confirm them in the faith...and keep in mind that they believe that Peter went to Rome a couple of years after the Pentecost, while this letter was written by St Paul some 20 years after. So why would Paul write these words if Peter is already in Rome 20 years preaching and confirming them into the faith...doesn't make sense

also, when u look at the end of the letter to the Romans u find a whole list of weird names that Paul sends his greetings too, funny that we don't find the name of Peter in the list, while he is supposed to have been preaching in Rome for long years, and even be the founder of the church there....
  • ml,
    i dont mean to disagree, ur right in some essence but they do believe in a calling
    all my past experience w the catholic faith and catholic clergy has noted the calling as a profound part of being ordained. but ur right that now adays ppl bend rules in the cc.
    thats y theyre corrupt, they keep changing
  • i agree w whizzz
    they bel;ieve that he is guided by the holy spirit and their desisions are guided and therefore correct.
  • sry for my third post,
    they are also different in confession and they dont have a specific father of confession, dont have to exactly see him

and communion, they use unyeasted bread, they believe this is what jesus used in the last supper caus it was a passover feast and jews use manna, or unleavened bread.

dont forget the altar, theirs faces the people although at one point it wasnt and

they alow girl alterservers, and anyone can touch the altar, they dont have shawls or agpias

and they have have confirmation seperate from baptism

and lastly they pray the hail mary and use the rosary. we dont
  • theres nothing wrong with the Hail Mary and the Rosary its a perfectly good prayer I think it replaces the Agpeya for Catholics

Hail Mary, Full of Grace
    The Lord is with you,
    Blessed art thou among women
    and blessed is the fruit of thy womb Jesus

Tell me one thing thats bad about that prayer!!!!!!!!!
  • nothing is wrong with the words.... but some do it to be forgiven sins... so do 12 hail marys and one of your sins will go away.... nothing in the words are bad... but the cause is a bit negativ... I personally like the prayer...

I know you guys stated amazing points... but really we were, and are very close to them, during the time of Pope kyrillos the sixth, we were gonna be united, but there is a missunderstanding, in the creed.... one word....

hate to break it to you... but we are closer than you think we are... I never knew that, except a couple of days back.... so I am somewhat on the same boat..
  • There's actually 7 main reasons that Bishop Moussa gives:
    1) The concept of purgatory
    2) The belief that the holy spirit proceeds from the
    father and the son
    3) The infallibility of The Pope of Rome
    4) The immaculate conception of St. Mary
    5) Sins can be forgiven through indulgences
    6) The acceptance of non-christains in marriage
    7) Primacy of St. Peter
  • Just to stress one of the points ServantofJesus made, in their creed they say "the Holy Spirit which proceeds from the Father and the Son." This of course is a theological difference between the Orthodox Church and the Catholic Church. The Orthodox Church believes the Holy Spirit proceeds from the Father, as it is written:

(John 15:26) “But when the Helper comes, whom I shall send to you from the Father, the Spirit of truth who proceeds from the Father, He will testify of Me."

The reason we believe that the Holy Spirit proceeds from the Father only is that if He proceeded from both the Father and the Son it would sort of make Him the lesser member of the Holy Trinity, which would of course conflict with our beliefs. I am not sure of any other theological explanation though.

They also believe in the "Supremacy of St. Peter" - which translates as all Christian Churches should submit to the Catholic Pope. In other words, they believe St. Peter was first among the disciples in authority. Our Church believes he was first among the disciples in honor.

- For more information, you can download the Southern Diocese Sunday School Syllabus. All the information on the comparative theology between our Church and the Catholic Church is in the 12th grade syllabus.
  • Bishoy
    that one word is instead of saying " Yes, we believe in the Holy Spirit, the Lord, the Life-Giver, Who proceeds from the Father, Who, with the Father and the Son, is worshipped and glorified" The add "who proceeds from the Father and the Son" This is because they believe in the dual nature and dual will of Christ. Which is NOT what we believe in.
  • Nazbert Nazonian, its

Hail Mary, Full of Grace
    The Lord is with you,
    Blessed art thou among women
    and blessed is the fruit of thy womb Jesus

Holy mary mother of god pray for us sinners, now and at the hour of our death, amen

however note that full of grace means that they comprehend the fact that shes immaculate or sinless while we can never be full of grace...

but its nice, its like the holy holy holy prayer, well a piece somewhere around there or the prayer before..

• The nature of Christ is a very important subject that caused a

serious dissention within the Church in the fifth century, in 451

A.D. Our Coptic Orthodox Church believe in " The One Nature of

God the Incarnate Logos " as St. Cyril called it. The Lord Jesus

Christ iS God Himself, The Incarnarte Logos Who took to Himself a

perfect manhood. His Divine nature is one with his human nature

yet without mingling, confusion or alteration. His Divinity never

departed from His Manhood for a single moment nor even for a

twinkle of an eye.This is from a book

written by His Holiness Pope Shenouda III, Title " The Nature of

Christ " It is on the web for anyone to read it. The Catholic Church

Believes in two natures of Christ, two wills and two lines of action.

God the Incarnate Logos " as St. Cyril called it. The Lord Jesus

Christ iS God Himself, The Incarnarte Logos Who took to Himself a

perfect manhood. His Divine nature is one with his human nature

yet without mingling, confusion or alteration. His Divinity never

departed from His Manhood for a single moment nor even for a

twinkle of an eye.This is from a book

written by His Holiness Pope Shenouda III, Title " The Nature of

Christ " It is on the web for anyone to read it. The Catholic Church

Believes in two natures of Christ, two wills and two lines of action.

• Sorry for repeating the paragraph, just ignore it. Thanks and God bless.
  • the catholic faith is different then the orthodox faith but they stay belive in the general faith in christainity THAT JESUS CHRIST IS GOD.though there more modern then s and believe in purgatory,demerits of saints ect... there still part of the whole chirsitian family just a different section if you listen to a line in the sermons we always say "Pray for the holy catholic and apostalic church. though they are differences between are realigion and theres we should still respect them and not debate against them. Yet tell them and Show them our belief other than argueing with them