Coptish

Does anyone have Coptic hymns in English letters?

I am trying to learn to read Coptic, and have a basic understanding. Although, I would like to learn the hymns to help out in church. Does anyone have the Hymns in this style for the Divine Liturgy for all seasons of the church?

Thank you!

Comments

• you can find some hymns in the library with english-coptic lyrcs like this http://tasbeha.org/hymn_library/view/439?mid=9744

comunque anche io sto facendo la tua stessa cosa, ti consiglio di ascoltare un canto e in contemporanea di seguirlo con il testo in copto e di scriverlo in italiano. per esempio ora che siamo in quaresima potresti farlo con somatos : http://tasbeha.org/hymn_library/view/43?mid=8698
  • edited February 2017
    Andrew,

Thank you very much. I am an Italian-American from Pennsylvania and a native English speaker. The reason I have my nickname as "Italian" is that my surname sounds Iranian and everyone at the church thinks I am Egyptian with parents who never taught me Arabic. I would confuse the congregation singing in Italian being that they were either born in Egypt, Ohio or Pennsylvania. :-) Thank you very much for the links. Have a Blessed Fast.

Thank you for the thoughtful, bi-lingual response! Grazie Mille!
  • This is the Coptic Liturgy of Saint Basil in English & Coptish (as per the Greco-Bohairic pronunciation) as provided by the Copt-net which is the provider of the ⲡⲓⲓⲉⲃϣⲛⲉ ⲛ̀ⲣⲉⲙⲛ̀ⲭⲏⲙⲓ (Coptic Network) 
    http://www.coptic.net/prayers/StBasilLiturgy.html

• The title of this thread made me think there was a Coptic spoof of “Blackish”
  • Thanks guys. Well, I am not Egyptian but because I am a Deacon no-one believes I am American. Plus, I am from the same gene pool as Egyptian Christians. @minasoliman I am going to tell people I am not Egyptian, although I am Coptish.
  • Lol! I love it!

• Coptish is a slang for transcription of Coptic language in English letters to aid in pronunciation, it can help to show how Coptic is pronounced. It is akin to phonetic transcription yet it's simpler an easy to read by non-professionals. it is follows the same line of Arabic Chat Alphabet aka Arabizi etc. The benefit is that it shows the pronunciation, however, the drawback is that it can be an irreversible process, which means that if one does not know the language well it is hard to

This is as opposed to transliteration and Romanization where substution is done for letter per letter which attempts to write in roman/latin characters with lesser emphasis on pronunciation. It is usually reversible as you can switch each letter to its original Coptic counterpart, but, it may not show pronunciation like transcription as it is aimed for those who know the pronunciation already examples of these are:
    01. Copt-net
     http://www.coptic.net/articles/CopticAlphabet.txt
    Copt-net morphologically based transliteration of Coptic
    a, B, 5, d, E, e, Z, H, 8, I, K, ^, M, N, 3, O, n, P, C, T, Y, Q, X, w, y, +, q, J, 2, G, 6, t
    e.g.
    JEN  QPaN  'MQIWT NEM  nyHPI  NEM nInNEYMa  E8OYaB  OYNOYt  'NOYWT aMHN

02. Isaac's Coptic-Latin Transliteration (ICLT) which is more of a hybrid system
    a, b, g/gh/n, d, e, 6, z, e', th, y/i, k, l, m, n, x, o, p, r, s, t, u/y', ph, c, ps, o', sh, f, kh, h, j, ch, ti, jikim (`)
    w : for OY if followed by a vowel:
    e.g.
    khen `fran `mfio't nem pshe'ri nem pipneuma ethwab unuti `nwot ame'n

03. Bashmuric-based transliteration:
    Bashmuric dialect used only Greek letters and hence this was based on it to write Bohairic
    The last 7 demotic letters are 
    σζ: ϣ
     φ: ϥ
     χ: ϧ
     ': ϩ
     δζ: ϫ
    τζ: ϭ
    τι: ϯ
    α,β,γ,δ,ε,6,ζ,η,θ, ι, κ, λ, μ, ν, ξ, ο, π, ρ, σ, τ, υ, φ, χ, ψ, ω, σζ, φ, χ, ', δζ, τζ, τι
    Example
    χεν 'φραν  'μφιωτ  νεμ  πσζηρι  νεμ  πιπνευμα  εθουαβ ουνουτι  'νουωτ αμην
    ΧΕΝ  ΦΡΑΝ  ΜΦΙΩΤ  ΝΕΜ  ΠΣΖΗΡΙ  ΝΕΜ ΠΙΠΝΕΥΜΑ ΕΘΟΥΑΒ ΟΥΟΥΝΟΥΤΙ 'ΝΟΥΩΤ ΑΜΗΝ
    http://ccdl.libraries.claremont.edu/cdm/ref/collection/cce/id/1971

04. The Libary of Congress Romanization of Coptic
    https://www.loc.gov/catdir/cpso/romanization/coptic.pdf
      A, b, g, d, e, z, ē, th, I, k, l, m, n, ks, o, p, r, s, t, u, ph, ch, ps, ō, š, f, h., h, č, ky, ti

05. Esperanto Hybrid Transliteration of Coptic
    a,
    b/ŭ,  g,  d, e 6, z, a/i, t, i/j, k, l , k, m, n, ks, o , b,  r,  s, d,
    ŭ/i,  f/b, ĥ/k/ŝ,  ps,  o,  ŝ,  f,  ĥ,  h,  ĝ,  ĵŝ,  di
    ĥen  bran  mfjot nem pŝiri nem  bibneŭma etŭab  unudi  'nŭot  amin

06. Egyptologists Forum
    http://www.egyptologyforum.org/EEFTransl.html
    a	   {a}                alpha
    b {b} bida
    g {g} gamma
    d {d} dalda
    e {e} ei
    z {z} zita
    E roofed-{e} eta
    T {th} thita
    i {i} iauda
    k {k} kappa
    l {l} laula
    m {m} mi
    n {n} ni
    X {ks} ksi
    o {o} o
    p {p} pi
    r {r} ro
    s {s} sima
    t {t} tau
    u {u} ue
    P {ph} phi
    K {kh} khi
    % {ps} psi
    O roofed-{o} au

S hacek-{s} shai
    f {f} fai
    H {x} [khori] (Akhmimic)
    x {x} khai (Bohairic)
    h {h} hori
    j {j} tjantja
    c {c} kyima
    + {ti} ti

^ Supralinear Stroke (use before affected letter)
    ' Supralinear Dot (use before affected letter)
    " Dierisis (use before affected letter)

• @bashandy Thank you very much. Although, in the time since I posted this question originally, I have found it easier to learn to read Coptic. Thank you all for your feedback.
  • @ItalianCoptic transliteration of Coptic is akin to the "Franco-Arabic" used to help those who can't read proper Arabic follow along (besm al Aab wel Ebn wal Ro7 alQodos...)
    For Coptic, there are no special characters:
    Khen efRan emEfyot nem epShiri nem piEpnevma eth-ou-ab...
    If you have any hymns you'd like transliterated that aren't on here, DM me and I'll do it for you :)
  • @ItalitanCoptic Thank you for your reply. I am glad to hear that you learned to read Coptic. It is way easier & more satisfactory to learn reading it than to have to rely on 3rd party transcription to go through a text.

Maybe it's worth mentioning that Copts around the 8th-10th century did the same to learn Arabic language where they wrote Arabic in Coptic letters, to help them read it, then they mastered Arabic letters later. This is an example of how it looked like.

ⲃⲉⲭⲉⲛⲉⲑ ϩⲁⲇⲉⲑ ⲉϣϣⲉⲓϧ ⲡⲉⲗϩⲁϣⲉ ⲭⲟⲗ ⲓⲁⲩⲙ ⲓⲉϩⲁⲗⲗⲓⲙⲟϩ ⲙⲉ ⲓⲉⲛϥⲁϩ ⲛⲉϥⲥⲟϩ ⲃⲉⲙⲉⲓⲛ ⲡⲁϩⲇ ⲉⲑⲑⲁϩⲗⲓⲙ ⲭⲉⲛ ⲓⲁϩⲙⲉⲗ ⲥⲁⲗⲉϩ ⲃⲉⲓⲉⲑⲗⲁⲕⲟϩ ⲗⲉⲓⲉⲣⲕⲟⲇ ⲃⲉϥⲓ ⲁϩⲁⲇ ⲉⲗⲉⲓⲉⲙ ϩⲓⲛ ⲉⲭⲉⲗⲟⲩ ⲉⲭⲗⲉϩⲟⲙ ⲉⲗⲕⲁⲗⲓⲗ ⲡⲉⲗϩⲓϣⲉ ϫⲉⲗ ⲉϣϣⲉⲓϧ ⲡⲁϩⲇ ⲉⲥⲥⲁⲗⲉⲑ ⲉⲗϫⲉⲙⲉϩⲁ ⲭⲉⲗⲁⲇⲉϩ ⲗⲓⲉϩⲁⲗⲗⲉⲙ ⲉⲗⲁϧ.....ⲉⲛⲛⲁⲩⲙ ϥⲉⲣⲁⲕⲁⲇ ⲉϣϣⲉⲓϧ ⲃⲉⲭⲉⲛ ⲉⲗⲁϧ ⲥⲁⲡⲉⲣ ϩⲁⲧⲧⲉ ⲓⲉⲕⲟⲩⲙ ⲉϣϣⲉⲓϧ ⲓⲉⲡⲉⲣⲉⲕ ϩⲁⲗⲏⲓϩ ⲭⲉϩⲁⲇⲉⲑⲟϩ ⲫⲉⲗⲉⲙⲙⲉ ⲡⲉⲕⲓ ⲉϣϣⲉⲓϧ ⲛⲉⲓⲉⲙ ⲃⲁⲕⲑ ϩⲁⲍⲓⲙ ⲍⲁⲓⲕⲟⲩ ⲉⲗⲉϥⲭⲁⲣ ⲉⲗⲁϧ ⲕⲁⲓⲉⲗⲉ ⲗⲟϩ ⲕⲟⲩⲙ ⲉⲛⲧ ⲉⲓⲍⲁ ⲉⲣⲕⲟⲇ ⲃⲉⲭⲉⲛ ϩⲟⲩ ⲓⲉⲕⲁⲑⲉⲗ ⲫⲉⲭⲣⲟϩ ⲕⲁⲓⲉⲗⲉ ⲙⲉ ⲓⲉⲙⲭⲉⲛⲛⲓ ⲉⲙ....... ⲉⲗⲉϥⲭⲁⲣ ⲉⲓⲍⲁ ⲃⲉⲗⲉⲙ ⲓⲉⲙⲍⲓ ϩⲉⲓⲇⲉ ⲕⲁⲑⲉⲗⲟⲩϩ ⲥⲉⲡⲁϩⲇⲉϥⲟϩ ⲃⲉⲭⲉⲛ ⲥⲁⲡⲉⲣ ⲙⲉⲕⲁⲑⲉⲗ ⲗⲉϩⲉ ⲃⲉⲙⲉⲛ ⲡⲁϩⲇ ϩⲉⲇⲉ ⲗⲉⲙⲙⲉ ⲑⲉⲕⲁⲇⲇⲉⲙ ⲉⲗⲗⲏⲓⲗ ϫⲉⲇⲇⲉ ϥⲉⲗⲉⲙⲙⲉ ⲉⲥⲑⲏⲓⲕⲁⲍ ⲉϣϣⲉⲓϧ ⲫⲉⲃⲉϫⲉⲇⲟϩ ϫⲉⲗⲉⲥ ϩⲁⲛⲇⲟϩ ⲫⲉⲕⲁⲗ ⲗⲟϩ ⲓⲗⲉ ⲉⲗⲉⲛ ⲗⲉⲙ ⲑⲉⲙⲍⲓ ⲕⲁⲗ ⲗⲟϩ ⲓⲉ ⲉⲡⲓ ⲉⲛⲛⲁⲕ ⲗⲉⲙ ⲑⲉⲑⲗⲁⲕⲛⲓ ϥⲉⲕⲁ.....ⲗⲟϩ ⲙⲉϫⲉⲥⲁⲣⲧ ⲉⲓⲕ.....ⲍⲁⲕ ⲗⲓⲉⲗⲗⲉ ⲉⲑϩⲉⲡⲁⲕ ⲫⲉⲡⲉⲣⲓⲕ ϩⲁⲗⲓϩ ⲉϣϣⲉⲓϧ ⲃⲉⲗⲉⲙⲙⲉ ⲕⲁⲙⲟⲩ ϩⲁⲙⲉⲟⲗⲟⲩ ⲉⲥⲥⲁⲗⲉϩ ⲉⲗϫⲉⲙⲉϩⲁ ⲉⲑⲗⲁⲕ ⲉⲗⲁϧ ⲗⲉⲓⲉⲥⲑⲉⲣⲓϩ ⲃⲉⲓⲉⲛⲉⲙ ⲕⲁⲗⲓⲗ ⲃⲉⲭⲉⲛ ⲉⲓⲍⲁ ⲉϣϣⲉⲓϧ ϫⲉⲗⲉⲥ ϥⲓ ⲙⲉⲥⲛⲉⲇⲟϩ ⲓⲉⲑϩⲉⲡ ⲛⲉϥⲥⲟϩ ⲓⲗⲉ ⲡⲟⲕⲣⲁ ⲃⲉϥⲓⲙⲉϩⲟⲩ ϫⲉⲗⲉⲥ ⲥⲁⲣϥⲓⲥⲉϩⲟⲩ

Reference:
    Renouf, le Page (1889). A Coptic transcription of an Arabic text. Proceedings of the Society of Biblical Archaeology 11:155-158.