Separation of Church & State

Is separation of church and state an Orthodox ideology? Don’t quote me on this but I believe this idea was originally proposed by the Founding Fathers of the U.S.A in order to protect the church from corruption by the state.   

But is this an Orthodox teaching? Are their any Church Father writings to support the Founding Fathers proposal?  

In Christ 

Theophilus

Comments

• All I'll say is that the OO are traditionally much closer to this teaching than the EO
  • edited February 2014

Qawe, 

I don’t think we as OO can take credit for that. It isn’t really by choice but because most OO are in countries that Orthodox Christians are not the majority. OO churches where Orthodox Christians are majority, e.g. Ethiopia and Eritrea, historically don’t practice much separation of church and state. I don’t know much about the Armenian Orthodox Church.   

Personally, I am more attracted to the idea of a church that is the conscience of the state. The church not as an entity that is prohibited to meddle in secular matters but rather an institution which guides the state on the right path. 

But, this is just my opinion and I really want to learn what the Church Fathers taught. 

In Christ 

Theophilus 

• "The double-headed eagle is the symbol of the Byzantine Empire, and that symbol carried through to Russia. One eagle represents church, and one the state. The symbol shows the synergy between both. Then, as now, there have been both benefits and drawbacks to such rule. And still, even though our country is founded in opposition to such a principle (we have a one-headed eagle), it was the way of the Roman and Byzantine Empires for more than 1,000 years, until 1453."

source: http://www.pravmir.com/guest-column-russia-long-history-orthodox-christianity-traditional-views/

• edited February 2014
    Theophilus in the beginning God just wished it to be us and Him; no "middle man", but people couldn't handle the Truth staring them in the face so they called for Judges and Kings. These Judges and Kings where to be intercessors between man and God and as such should have been people of exemplary character. Unfortunately as God knew, it is human to err and fall short of Gods Glory. So many times we are lead astray by following man and not God. That is part of the reason Ethiopia is called blessed because for so many years She enjoyed the union of Church and State. An Orthodox Christian Emperor and Land. God bless you.