Etaven Ni eskhai

Does anyone know why Mlm. Wagdi chants the later verses different to Cantor Farag? Is this another authentic way of chanting the hymn? If anyone knows some history behind the hymn, that would be great as well!

God Bless

Comments

• I believe the change maybe in the first part only since the rest of the parts are defined to be the Paralex....Palm Sunday Tune Paralex rather.
  • I was mostly pointing to the other parts where mlm. Wagdi chants in the longer Shere ne tune (Intro to the doxologies) while mlm. Farag chants it in the normal Palm Sunday Tune.

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know where I can find some history on this hymn?

God Bless
  • That tune you are talking about is tohayyer tune of Palm Sunday. It's exactly like ti-estoli in the crowning ceremony.
  • I believe Muallem Mikhail el Batanoony chants it like Muallem Farag in case that is what your wondering.
  • There are three "subtunes" in the royal or sha3anini tune. The first is a longer tune just like that of alleluia for communion or the sherat or etaven niskhai the way wagdi says. The second also corresponds to tunes in those same hymns but it is a shorter tune than the first and finally the shortest one is the third subtune that we hear usually in any wedding or during the feast of the cross or Palm Sunday. These tunes are used in doxologies, sherat, tenoueh ensok, psalm 150, Etaven niskhai and tistoli in the wedding prayer.
  • I just checked the recording by mlm. Mikhail and he chants the first verse the same way as mlm. Wagdi. But I still havent found anyone else say the second verse like mlm. Wagdi. Does anyone have the recording the by mlm. Ibrahim?
    Thanks for filling me in about the mohayer tune, but why doesn't mlm. Farag chant it in Etaven?

God Bless
  • Muallem Ibrahim has a recording for it and he says all the tunes. But he says the first verse differently. That second tune may have just been left out for the sake of time or since it was recorded already in other hymns so it was generally known that it existed
  • I recently just listened to a lecture by mlm. Albair and from that I understood (my Arabic isn't great!) that Cantor Tewfik chanted the first verse in the short Shanini tune and  then the second verse in the Long tune. Is that how mlm. Ibrahim chants it or is it completely different? Is there a way that I can hear it from mlm. Ibrahim?

God bless
  • Muallem Ibrahims way is the most accurate and it combines all the tunes. pm me and ill send it to you. The tune of the first verse is the introductory tune for most of the hymns in our church. And since the other three tunes of palm sunday are going to be used either way it is good to preserve this tune in the hymn.
  • Thanks dg920 for sharing the dropbox links!

I see what you mean by different! Do you what sources he had? But I think I'm just going to chant it the way mlm. Farag recorded it, it sounds the most legitimate according to Albeir.

God Bless
  • We asked m Ibrahim and as always he had a source but I don't recall who it was. I thought Muallem Tawfik said it like him as well but I will double check. The most accurate I believe is Muallem Ibrahim just because it combines all possible tunes. Since we aren't losing anything by saying the introduction that way then it is all the more beneficial to preserve that
  • Muallem Ibrahim chants it the same way as Muallem Tawfiq and this is also the way taught in Didymus Institute. As far as I know the recording I heard from Muallem Farag was the same as the hymn Tiestoli for Archangel Michael / Crowning ceremony so it cannot be labelled wrong, whereas Muallem Tawfiq's method uses the priests' litany tune for the introduction and then all 3 Sha'neen tunes as mentioned above like the Batos lobsh (Sheraat) and long psalm 150 introduction for the rest of the hymn.
  • In the lecture by mlm. Albeir he puts forth reasons why he believes that the way mlm. Mikhail records is the best way, if you want to listen to it, it is a great lecture and its on the HCOC website. Anyway I don't think it really matters which way we say it, as long as we are aware of the different versions so we dont get confused when someone says it a different way, and so long as we are praying, our sacrifice of praise is acceptable before God.

May God bless all of you and your services and keep you.