Preparation for Holy Communion

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
Greetings,

I was curious to know what, if any, is the general standard for preparing to receive Holy Communion at any Divine Liturgy within the Coptic Orthodox Church (or any Non-Chalcedonian Church for that matter).

I am speaking here of personal prayer at home as a preparation for Holy Communion.

I know practices vary within the various EO Churches.  And really, it all depends on what you and your spiritual father/FOC have decided upon.

For example, within my own jurisdiction, the OCA, it is recommended that one pray the Canon of Preparation for Holy Communion.  Depending on which prayer book you use, this would include some psalms, the 9 ode canon of preparation, followed by 10 prayers by various saints.  One prayer book, for instance the one by HTM in Boston, includes the canon within the service of compline, so you would pray that in addition to the canon and 10 prayers.

In ROCOR, an EO jurisdiction, for example, it is demanded that you pray the Supplicatory Canons to the Savior and Mother of God; the Canon to the Guardian Angel; one akathist either to Christ or the Theotokos; and then Canon of Preparation as mentioned above.  You must also confess your sins before receiving Communion.  I know, that's a lot!

Greek parishes in America tend to do the first one I listed, I think. 

I know this is personal information, but what is the Coptic practice to prepare for Holy Communion, generally or specifically speaking?  I don't expect you to give me all the juicy details of your prayer life, but a glancing look would be cool.

Also, do most COC priests require confession before receiving Communion?  I know that's big in some EO jurisdictions.

Any other EO folk can chime in if I left something out. 

In Christ,
arsenios

Comments

• Just thought I'd bump this thread to see if anyone wants to help out.

Again, I don't want anyone spilling all the juicy details of their prayer rule.  You can always just say, "Some guy I know prays this, this, and that" or something like that.  That way you don't become prideful sharing your huuuuuuge prayer rule before Liturgy on Sundays.
  • In the Coptic church all that is suggested (recommended is probably too strong) is that we pray the "Prayer before Holy Communion":
    Lord, I am not worthy to have You come under my roof because I am a sinner, but only say the word; “Your sins are forgiven” and my soul will be healed. I am barren and empty of any goodness, I have nothing but Your compassion, mercy and love to mankind. You descended from your Heavenly Glory to our humility and consented to be born in a Man-ger. O' Holy Saviour, do not reject my humble and miserable soul which is waiting for Your Glorified coming. As You did not refuse to enter the leper's house to heal him, please Lord, come into my soul to cleanse it. As You did not stop the adulteress from kissing Your feet, please do not prevent me from coming near You to receive Your Holy Body and Your Sacred Blood. May this Holy Communion ban-ish every corruption and mortify all my evil desires. Help me to obey Your commandments and heal my soul and my body from every sin. May Your spirit dwell with in me and make me united with You so I may live for the Glory of Your Name. Amen.

No confession is required.
    It is strongly recommended that one confess once every 4-6 weeks, but failure to do so will not prevent Holy Communion - it is possible to receive Holy Communion despite never having confessed in your life.  Some people confess once a year or even more infrequently and regularly receive Holy Communion weekly.

So, no... I think the reason ppl weren't replying was not because of huge prayer rules, but of non-existent ones!
  • [quote author=qawe link=topic=14402.msg164891#msg164891 date=1369985032] So, no... I think the reason ppl weren't replying was not because of huge prayer rules, but of non-existent ones!

Christ is risen,

qawe, there are these prayer rules... Vespers, Psalmody Praises, Matins... along with the Agpeya and personal prayers of repentance, and trying to keep the night/day before Holy Communion consecrated to God. Not only that, but also the prayers on the way to Church and the Liturgy itself is preparation.

[quote author=qawe link=topic=14402.msg164891#msg164891 date=1369985032]
    No confession is required.
    It is strongly recommended that one confess once every 4-6 weeks, but failure to do so will not prevent Holy Communion - it is possible to receive Holy Communion despite never having confessed in your life.  Some people confess once a year or even more infrequently and regularly receive Holy Communion weekly.

I would be worried, even fearful, if we approach Holy Communion without repentance and confession... unless of dire circumstances. Just because people approach the Mysteries this way, doesn't make it what the Church teaches.
    These verses come to mind, "Therefore whoever eats this bread or drinks this cup of the Lord in an unworthy manner will be guilty of the body and blood of the Lord. But let a man examine himself, and so let him eat of the bread and drink of the cup. For he who eats and drinks in an unworthy manner eats and drinks judgment to himself, not discerning the Lord’s body. For this reason many are weak and sick among you, and many sleep. For if we would judge ourselves, we would not be judged. But when we are judged, we are chastened by the Lord, that we may not be condemned with the world." - 1 Cor. 11:27-32

People are weak, get sick and/or die (no exaggeration) because of inattentiveness towards repentance and confession, lack of reconciliation with others, and lack of faith in the Body and Blood of Christ before approaching these Mysteries. I tremble at this.

The Church teaches that we shouldn't approach the Eucharist if we're 40 days without confession, or as advised by a person's confession Father.

To quote something a priest once said, "Approaching Holy Communion without confession, is like dirty clothes being ironed. The dirt is still there." We can't have true reconciliation with God through this Sacrament with our sins tying us down.
  • I think we should pray always and we have to prepare everytime of our lives for the Holy Communion. It is not one day before we take the Holy Communion. We have to worry also for the Holy Communion we have already taken. It is not a one or two days or weeks life but an everlasting mystery that God has given us as His children. I am not against all the preparation and all the prayers before the Holy Communion but we have mean it from our hearts what we are praying. We know that we are on the right path when we are growing in Christ.