Death of a priest during a liturgy

edited December 1969 in Coptic Orthodox Church
I'm not sure if this is a well-known issue but is it true that if a priest dies during the liturgy (God forbid) and there are no other priests serving with him, the eldest deacon takes over the mass and finishes it; then remains In the church and a bishop comes and makes him a priest?
I've only heard this recently and was wondering if anyone can shred some light on it. Thanks, God Bless.

Comments

• [quote author=Athanasius1 link=topic=13887.msg161185#msg161185 date=1353122631]
    I'm not sure if this is a well-known issue but is it true that if a priest dies during the liturgy (God forbid) and there are no other priests serving with him, the eldest deacon takes over the mass and finishes it; then remains In the church and a bishop comes and makes him a priest?
    I've only heard this recently and was wondering if anyone can shred some light on it. Thanks, God Bless.

idk, but I have heard of a video where a priest dies while holding the body in his hand, and its trajectory changes and miraculously lands back on the paten
  • This is true. It's not really the "eldest deacon"...it's the next high rank in church and in the same rank, seniority matters. But the reason for this is that churches used to have one priest and it would be very isolated for hours from any other place that have another priest to finish the service....but these days, transportation is quick so you can have a priest in a short time to come and finish the service instead of a deacon finishing the service and getting ordained after.
  • [quote author=qawe link=topic=13887.msg161186#msg161186 date=1353122823]
    [quote author=Athanasius1 link=topic=13887.msg161185#msg161185 date=1353122631]

idk, but I have heard of a video where a priest dies while holding the body in his hand, and its trajectory changes and miraculously lands back on the paten

Yeap, this is what your talking about:

& thanks minatasgeel, but two questions. Are the rules such as, only the priest that chooses the oblation can hold the body, then disregarded? & surely another priest can't just rock up and do the mass ? :S
  • [quote author=Athanasius1 link=topic=13887.msg161189#msg161189 date=1353127473]
    [quote author=qawe link=topic=13887.msg161186#msg161186 date=1353122823]

Yeap, this is what your talking about:

& thanks minatasgeel, but two questions. Are the rules such as, only the priest that chooses the oblation can hold the body, then disregarded? & surely another priest can't just rock up and do the mass ? :S

If this happens, it's an exceptional case where another priests must lead the liturgy.

I actually heard that the trajectory didn't change, An Angel of the lord brought it back up.
  • What part of the liturgy is this?

That's not a priest, he's the Late Bishop Macarius of Qena, Egypt.
  • [quote author=servant33 link=topic=13887.msg161214#msg161214 date=1353186971]
    What part of the liturgy is this?

Its the gregorian introduction to the fraction