5 names of the nominees to the Papacy announced

2»

Comments

• Rest assured that Abouna Seraphim is a very holy and blessed man indeed.
  • [quote author=Zoxsasi link=topic=13770.msg160586#msg160586 date=1350779350]
    [quote author=Copticandproud link=topic=13770.msg160585#msg160585 date=1350770083]
    [quote author=Zoxsasi link=topic=13770.msg160582#msg160582 date=1350710782]
    Hi,

thanks for posting these interviews.

im so happy to see our choices. I love them all.

I admit, and have to agree with Bishop Paula, that we are going to know the bishops more than the monks; but the monks who have been shortlisted are so nice. So cute.

I think the Church will be in safe hands.

It was my first time to see Anba Tawadaros - he seems such a beautiful and softly spoken man. The monks are just so adorable and so genuinely modest in their behaviour.

Regardless of this, Im interested in policies. Anba Paula spoke too much, and didnt ask the right questions:

The questions we need answers to are as follows:

* The charismatic movement in the CHurch, what do you think about this?
    * The unity between the CHurches, what will you do?
    * The rise of Islamic fundamentalism - how will the Church behave towards this? How will the church fight for the rights of COpts in Egypt??

We need answers to these questions. I think everyone is nice, but this isn't a popularity contest.

Is it me or we are making it more and more like a secular election. We do not need answers for these questions from the pope candidates, but we need them from the church as a whole. It should not matter who the pope is. The answers should be all the same. They have always been the same, and I hope they will always be the same.

I see what you mean. You made a good point.

However, I do beg to differ.

There could be a candidate who is more zealous towards Church unity than another candidate.

I know, AS A MATTER OF FACT, that there are Coptic Bishops (and priests and servants UNDER these Bishops) that are very charismatic in nature.

So, I do not entirely agree.

There could be a bishop who is more zealous towards integration with the Catholics. That does NOT mean that he will compromise the Orthodox faith, but unity will be so high on his agenda that he may formulate a framework in which our differences can be seen as semantical rather than dogmatic (for example).

Look at the question that Bishop Paula asked: "What would you do about Ethiopia using the river nile's resources?"

What the heck does this have to do running a Coptic Church? The point is this - each candidate will have different views, and their thinking or reasoning is not the same.

A bishop, who is well travelled, MAY have noticed that there are Copts living in the Diaspora who have NO Coptic Church. What should he do? he may be more inclined to make bridges towards the catholic church (maybe?!)

I see your point too.

Oh and btw I do not see any bridges with the Catholic church anytime soon. Maybe more bridges with the EO, but I do not think it is just going to work with the Catholic church at least not in our life time.

[quote author=qawe link=topic=13770.msg160589#msg160589 date=1350789662]
    [quote author=The least of all link=topic=13770.msg160588#msg160588 date=1350789151]
    Rest assured that Abouna Seraphim is a very holy and blessed man indeed.

Fantastic... that's great.
    It seems that the Nominations Committee indeed knows what they're doing.
    They have chosen candidates which would make up for the shortcomings of Pope Shenouda (for who doesn't have any?).

This is very good news. Hopefully this is going to be the return to Orthodoxy and evangelism age!
  • This also implies a great deal of responsibility on our shoulders. May God grant us the grace that we may return to the fathers and that we may perpetuate this faith which originated with Christ.
  • I feel very confident about the nominated fathers, The church will be in good hands. We've to remember that altimately Christ is the head of the church and it's the holy spirit that work in church.

• [quote author=The least of all link=topic=13770.msg160591#msg160591 date=1350792467]
    This also implies a great deal of responsibility on our shoulders. May God grant us the grace that we may return to the fathers and that we may perpetuate this faith which originated with Christ.

Amen!
  • [quote author=Copticandproud link=topic=13770.msg160590#msg160590] Oh and btw I do not see any bridges with the Catholic church anytime soon. Maybe more bridges with the EO, but I do not think it is just going to work with the Catholic church at least not in our life time.

Hi CopticandProud,

Maybe you are correct. Maybe one of the candidates will, as I mentioned, try to fervently to build bridges with other churches. The way around it is simple:

No one likes to be proven as being wrong, as they lose face. Even though someone knows he's wrong, he has to even agree with his incorrectness because otherwise he would look bad.

So what to do?

Well, as I mentioned, the only way to have unity (with the RC and EO) is for the Coptic Church to rise above bickering and rhetoric and say "OK - its just a case of semantics". that's all.

We do not believe in the Immaculate Conception of Saint Mary. The RC, as time moves on, have really begun to distance themselves away from this dogma. The definition of the Immaculate Conception has evolved for them.

My opinion is this: Rather than asking someone to refute a heresy, just say: "OK.. its the same as us, but you phrase it differently".

See, we say "Mary was sinless". They say she was born without the original. Well, we know that being born without the original sin is impossible because being born with it means that the consequence of being born with this nature results in death. And the Holy Virgin died.

The catholics, trying to explain stuff to themselves, say :"Well, if she was sinless, it means that she was born without the original sin" - which puts them now in an awful spot of bother.

The Catholics need us. And we need them.

We need them because "A Christian alone, is a Christian in danger".

We need them because we have no community in rural areas.

They desperately need orthodoxy (more than we need them).

This division will continue forever unless someone avoids using the term "You are wrong". We need to see where we are both right, and help them keep their definition - but guide them to the right way of formulating it.

• [quote author=qawe link=topic=13770.msg160595#msg160595 date=1350800296]
    [quote author=Zoxsasi link=topic=13770.msg160594#msg160594 date=1350797878]
    My opinion is this: Rather than asking someone to refute a heresy, just say: "OK.. its the same as us, but you phrase it differently".

See, we say "Mary was sinless". They say she was born without the original. Well, we know that being born without the original sin is impossible because being born with it means that the consequence of being born with this nature results in death. And the Holy Virgin died.

Surely we only say "OK, it's the same as us" if it's actually the same.
    And it isn't the same... Orthodox do not believe in Original Sin in the first place.

Akeed.

I'm just saying that the way to unity is to help the other side to change their definition without having to tell them that their definition has changed. These are delicate issues, but a lot is at stake.
  • Hey Qawe,

My apologies if my statement came across as if I wanted to "trick" them. Its not tricking them. If someone says something incorrect, rather than say "You are wrong" - try to find the truth or paraphrase them so the truth comes out.

That's not tricking them. They need us to do this.

Frankly speaking, I just attended a Catholic Mass today. Im in a town where there are no Coptic Churches. I miss my Coptic Liturgy. Its a big big shame to see the RC this way.

I hope at least they can let us use their churches for our services- there's are so empty.
  • As much as I hope that it would happen, I do not see it happening anytime soon. I think we should focus specifically on the EO right now, because a unity with them is more likely and a unity with the EO will pave the way for a unity with the Catholic church.

Pray for the peace and unity of the One Holy Catholic Orthodox Church of God!
  • I think we should already be united with the EO so if anything that is probably on the horizon (i pray), and we have the same faith (as said in the joint statements) so it should happen! The Catholics will require some more time and prayer but there is good discussion happening
  • Do we have the three names yet??!!
  • Ballots:  Oct 29
    Altar Lot:  Nov 4
    Enthronement:  Nov 18
  • Oh lol, then why were we just fasting?
  • [quote author=servant33 link=topic=13770.msg160671#msg160671 date=1351204881]
    Oh lol, then why were we just fasting?

for the Ballots....the voting to get to 3 names.
  • Why are we fasting three sets of three days? Why not just one set?
  • [quote author=Copticandproud link=topic=13770.msg160673#msg160673 date=1351207023]
    Why are we fasting three sets of three days? Why not just one set?

one to bring the entire number of to 5-7.
    one to bring that down to 3, the voting process.
    one before the Altar Lot......

what is so hard to understand?!
  • [quote author=minatasgeel link=topic=13770.msg160674#msg160674 date=1351208165]
    [quote author=Copticandproud link=topic=13770.msg160673#msg160673 date=1351207023]
    Why are we fasting three sets of three days? Why not just one set?

one to bring the entire number of to 5-7.
    one to bring that down to 3, the voting process.
    one before the Altar Lot......

what is so hard to understand?!

I thought one set before the whole process would be enough, but o well.