hymns for kids

edited December 1969 in Hymns Discussion
What hymns do you recommend teaching elementary school kids?
A list would be greatly appreciated with links and also when the hymns are said.
Please and thank you!!!

Comments

• Did you mean Coptic hymns or just normal 'before Sunday School' hymns? Thanks, Gb:p
  • + Maybe the hymns of the liturgy in Coptic, ex. Tai shory, ti shory, hitenis piehmot ghar for the new pope soon, shere ne Maria, agios
    + Verses of the cymbals
    + Doxologies
    + Some of the lent hymns like apenschoice

If I think of any more, I'll let you know  ;)
  • Elementary is a vast range of ages.
    If you are referring to the weakest level, here are some hymns with minimum hazzat:
    - Amen Alleloia Zoxa Patri (Conclusion)
    - Epooro ente ti-hirini (Glorification)
    - Tengosht evol (Vespers)

Also, here are hymns curriculums for all the grades and ages:
    http://www.suscopts.org/ssc/Hymn_Curricula.zip
  • I recommend starting with the liturgy hymns. They will have many chances to say these hymns every week, and it will encourage them to sing along. They will get used to participating. Start the liturgy hymns off easy in English/Arabic so they aren't intimidated by Coptic.

Alleluia this is the day
    Through the Intercessions
    The Cherubim
    May their Holy Blessings
    According to Your Mercy O Lord
    Amen Amen Amen

Then get into the easy Coptic hymns
    Amen Alleluia
    Agios
    Tenosht emok o pikhristos
    Maybe some of the above hymns in Coptic

As they get used to learning hymns, and saying them in church, you can move into longer things that are easy (not with hazaat) like
    Ouniato
    Hiten Nipresvia (English/Coptic)
    Doxologies

Then you can get into hymns with hazaat
    Tai Shori
    Shere ne Maria
    Vol Evol
    Pi Nishti

If a special occasion is coming, you can teach them the Gospel Response for that occasion (especially if it is said three times - Vespers, Matins, Liturgy).

Pascha hymns like Thine is the Power (thok te ti gom) are also good.

Holy Fifty Days/Resurrection hymns like Ton Sina are good.

For more advanced kids, you can easily get away with khristos anesty, and some other more advanced hymns. It really all depends on the kids.

Also, I don't believe hymns classes or teachings should be split by grade level. They should be split according to other criteria such as what hymns the child knows already, how fast they learn, whether or not they can read Coptic, etc. That is how we do it in our church.

Also in our church, we have a hymns contest every couple of months for the elementary and middle school kids to learn a hymn on their own and then take a test on it and say it in front of judges. Their parents spend the month or two learning the hymn and teaching it to their kids. We provide the words, a recording, and some brief points on the rites (when it's said, etc.) I've found that this is very beneficial for the kids. We split them up according to how they did (Perfect, Good, Pass, Participation) We have done so far:

Nefsenti (one month to learn)
    Shere Nachois (one month to learn)
    Rejoice O Mary (three months to learn) (current)