Coptic question

What is the difference between nyetercebec;e and ouwst ? They are both translated as worship in the English text.

Comments

• [quote author=Copticandproud link=topic=13662.msg159313#msg159313 date=1345952706]
    What is the difference between nyetercebec;e and ouwst ? They are both translated as worship in the English text.

greek and coptic.
  • [quote author=minatasgeel link=topic=13662.msg159314#msg159314 date=1345954436]
    [quote author=Copticandproud link=topic=13662.msg159313#msg159313 date=1345952706]

greek and coptic.
    respectively   8)
  • [quote author=minatasgeel link=topic=13662.msg159314#msg159314 date=1345954436]
    [quote author=Copticandproud link=topic=13662.msg159313#msg159313 date=1345952706]

greek and coptic.

Why do we use two different language in the same hymn for the same meaning?
  • Sorry typing from mobile..
    nyetersawasta doesn't mean worship.. nyet means those and the rest of the word is a verb meaning to be humble.. so the whole thing means those who are humble
    oujai
  • [quote author=ophadece link=topic=13662.msg159318#msg159318 date=1346017095]
    Sorry typing from mobile..
    nyetersawasta doesn't mean worship.. nyet means those and the rest of the word is a verb meaning to be humble.. so the whole thing means those who are humble
    oujai

So what would be a better translation of the last rob3 of the third hos?
    Cmou `e`P[oic nyetercebec;e `m`P[oic `Vnou] `nte nenio]@ hwc `erof `arihou`o [acf sa ni`eneh.
    Bless the Lord those who are humble [in] the Lord the God of our fathers, praise Him and exalt Him above all forever? and is it Coptic or Greek?
  • The translation is fine, I'm not sure why you want a better one. As far as I'm concerned that's a coptic word.. I'll check the root of the verb though if it's Greek, but I don't think so
    oujai
  • Yes sebeste is Greek. σέβεσθε comes from the root word σεβίτιον

Before Homer, it meant to feel fear or feel shame before God as in οὔ νυ σέβεσθε

After Homer, it came to mean
    1. revere, worship, do homage, pay honor God

The  root word σεβίτιον is used in Acts 16:14, when St Luke speaks of Lydia. "She was a seller of purple from the city of Thyatira, who worshiped God." The last part in Greek is σεβομενη τον θεον

It does not mean to be humble. The Coptic phrase nyetercebecte literally means "the doers of homage" or "the doers of worship (to God)". So the translation in the current Psalmody is perfectly accurate.

"Those who are humble" was said two verse before this in the word "nyet;ebyout

Finally, the answer you question "Why do we use two different language in the same hymn for the same meaning?" is very simple. Bilingualism, using two different languages to articulate a meaning, is a sign of intelligence or proficiency. Bilinguals recognize there is a subtle difference in the two words coming from the different languages that can't be articulated in one language only. So the mechanism used to articulate this added intelligence is to borrow the original word from the first language in an attempt to create more meaning than the same word in the second language has on its own. I hope that made sense.
  • Thanks for correcting me remenkimi..
    oujai
  • [quote author=Remnkemi link=topic=13662.msg159326#msg159326 date=1346075651]
    Yes sebeste is Greek. σέβεσθε comes from the root word σεβίτιον

Before Homer, it meant to feel fear or feel shame before God as in οὔ νυ σέβεσθε

After Homer, it came to mean
    1. revere, worship, do homage, pay honor God

The  root word σεβίτιον is used in Acts 16:14, when St Luke speaks of Lydia. "She was a seller of purple from the city of Thyatira, who worshiped God." The last part in Greek is σεβομενη τον θεον

It does not mean to be humble. The Coptic phrase nyetercebecte literally means "the doers of homage" or "the doers of worship (to God)". So the translation in the current Psalmody is perfectly accurate.

"Those who are humble" was said two verse before this in the word "nyet;ebyout

Finally, the answer you question "Why do we use two different language in the same hymn for the same meaning?" is very simple. Bilingualism, using two different languages to articulate a meaning, is a sign of intelligence or proficiency. Bilinguals recognize there is a subtle difference in the two words coming from the different languages that can't be articulated in one language only. So the mechanism used to articulate this added intelligence is to borrow the original word from the first language in an attempt to create more meaning than the same word in the second language has on its own. I hope that made sense.

Yet another amazing post! Thank you Remnkemi...