Abouna

edited December 1969 in Coptic Orthodox Church
Hey guys,

A few people (from completely different churches) have noted to me in the past that they don't "feel" that a certain abouna at their church is holy and therefore they cannot trust that abouna to confess to, and are less willing to listen to that abouna as they would be someone else who they feel is holy, and they feel wrong for not giving that abouna the respect that the Coptic church tells us to give abounas, and yet they feel grieved by the fact that abouna who is supposed to be shepherding them is perhaps not doing it well enough.

I know that people who are more spiritual are fought by the devil more than others, and that we should pray for them. But, I agree when these people say such things, though perhaps I feel that they shouldnt have said it, yet I feel its right to say things to open up discussion and truth, and I don't know how to reply to them.

I want to give a personal example: there is an abouna who I wanted to start confessing regularly to (as I wasnt in the habit of doing so ever before). I did so once, and when I wanted to confess again he took it lightly, so i ignored that. I asked him again another time, and for some reason I felt forgotten about. I went to him another time to say that I would like to start teaching the children in Sunday school. As he was talking to me, he got distracted with something and I was ignored again. I don't know what to do - ignore this, tell him, tell another abouna, tell sayidna?

So I want some advice on the things Ive mentioned from readers please.

Thank you (all comments are much appreciated)

Comments

• New abounas usually don’t have the experience and wisdom of abounas who have been priests for a long time. But all abounas are holy because they touch the body and blood of Christ. Also they are in charge of the people in their church so they have a lot on their hands. They are always busy and try their best to serve the people the best they can.
  • [quote author=sugj link=topic=13509.msg157564#msg157564 date=1342024259]
    I want to give a personal example: there is an abouna who I wanted to start confessing regularly to (as I wasnt in the habit of doing so ever before). I did so once, and when I wanted to confess again he took it lightly, so i ignored that. I asked him again another time, and for some reason I felt forgotten about. I went to him another time to say that I would like to start teaching the children in Sunday school. As he was talking to me, he got distracted with something and I was ignored again. I don't know what to do - ignore this, tell him, tell another abouna, tell sayidna?

The priests are very busy and stressed and sometimes do get preoccupied with things on their head. I remember one time I was waiting to go to confession and there were also a few other people. Abouna came out when he was done with someone and said he has to cancel his appointments tonight because he has been thinking about an issue that was going on in the church at that time, to the point where he wasn't listening to the confessions.  I also remember seeing a priest at ECCYC answering his phone during a confession...it was a bishop from Egpyt and they are usually hard to re-contact.

I think I got a bit carried away...but Anyway! You really should not be judging the holiness of a priest. If people don't feel comfortable with him then the congregation needs to choose their new priests more seriously because 90% chance he was chosen by the congregation. He was given the wisdom of the Holy Spirit, you should listen to him. Bottom line is, there is probably more than one priest in the area. If you don't feel comfortable with him, go to another priest but don't disrespect this priest's authority and judge him. 
  • I stumbled across this verse the other day.

Exodus 22:28 "you shall not speak evil of a ruler of your people"

God answered my question.

I thought not speaking evil of/correcting an abouna/ruler of your people was a cultural thing. well i guess correcting can be ok... but not speaking evil of/condemning/giving an abouna a bad name.

Thanks.
  • But is an Abouna a ruler? I don't think so.
    However, I believe that people (abounas etc) should not be criticised, but only facts and beliefs.
  • well Saint Paul took a high priest to be a ruler as in Acts 23 verses 1-5 it states:

Paul looked straight at the Sanhedrin and said, “My brothers, I have fulfilled my duty to God in all good conscience to this day.” 2 At this the high priest Ananias ordered those standing near Paul to strike him on the mouth. 3 Then Paul said to him, “God will strike you, you whitewashed wall! You sit there to judge me according to the law, yet you yourself violate the law by commanding that I be struck!”

4 Those who were standing near Paul said, “How dare you insult God’s high priest!”

5 Paul replied, “Brothers, I did not realize that he was the high priest; for it is written: ‘Do not speak evil about the ruler of your people.’[a]”
  • Thanks for that.
    Good point