Good bible commentaries?

Can anyone recommend a good one?

Comments

• does he go verse by verse? I'm actually on the hunt for a real extensive cover to cover commentary. The best ones of this nature I have come across have all been by Calvin theologians, so I would hate to be forced to use them, even as a reference.

Thanks for your help mate!

Luke

• There are several options.

Check out this selection at St. Antony Monastery Bookstore.

• The Ancient Christian Commentary on Scripture Series is definitely the best for your needs. It goes verse by verse with quotes from several of the early Church Fathers.
    The formatting looks like the following for example:
    Genesis 1:1
    Quote from St Augustine
    Quote from St John Chrysostom
    Quote from Origen
    etc...
    Genesis 1:2
    etc...
  • [quote author=caji link=topic=13470.msg157337#msg157337 date=1341380752]
    The Ancient Christian Commentary on Scripture Series is definitely the best for your needs. It goes verse by verse with quotes from several of the early Church Fathers.
    The formatting looks like the following for example:
    Genesis 1:1
    Quote from St Augustine
    Quote from St John Chrysostom
    Quote from Origen
    etc...
    Genesis 1:2
    etc...

This is perfect, thank you!

Challenge 2: I actually need it in an ebook format, can't seem to find a link anywhere? haha

• Are there particular parts of the Bible you are studying?
  • [quote author=Father Peter link=topic=13470.msg157341#msg157341 date=1341385262]
    Are there particular parts of the Bible you are studying?

Well I have just started studying Theology at Uni, so I really need a cover to cover commentary.

Unfortunately CD rom is also no good to me, I need an epub or pdf format due to travel etc. Is there any other titles people can recommend that maybe are available on this format?

You guys have been so helpful, thank you so much.

• The cd may have PDF s on it
  • [quote author=qawe link=topic=13470.msg157354#msg157354 date=1341448474]
    The cd may have PDF s on it

I thought of this but for some reason it didn't have any info of the format in the description. Too big of a risk to purchase.
  • [quote author=Coptic Soldier link=topic=13470.msg157356#msg157356 date=1341459502]
    [quote author=qawe link=topic=13470.msg157354#msg157354 date=1341448474]
    The cd may have PDF s on it

I thought of this but for some reason it didn't have any info of the format in the description. Too big of a risk to purchase.

Why not email the publisher?
    Btw that link says it is an edition for "macintosh"
  • I can't study scripture without reference to the Fathers' commentaries in: http://www.ccel.org/fathers.html. If you prefer, a printed set can be obtained for a very reasonable cost. I believe dvds of the entire set are also available.

I'm disappointed with the Ancient Christian Commentary because it doesn't give much contextual background on many of its excerpts and its Protestant paradigm is often disappointing.  Because of its "earlier" English style, the ccel Fathers usually require careful reading and re-reading. If you have access to a Catholic theology library, they have published a more modern English series of Commentaries of the Fathers. As always, watch out for the "tricky" Catholic theological "curve balls."
  • I'm actually also looking for commentaries.

I know about Father Tadros Malaty's that are available online. The editing is really bad in some of the English translated ebooks though.

There are commentaries by Blessed Theophylact and I have yet to come across a bad word about them, does anyone with experience of them "OK" them for an Oriental Orthodox?

I know about the St Cyril ones at the Oriental Orthodox catalogue lulu site as well.

Also, are there any more recent translations of St John Chrysostom's ones?