Making your own tonia

edited December 1969 in Random Issues
I remember someone saying that they made there own Tonias.. I was just wondering how you would have done the designs yourself, since I want to make one as a summer project
Thanks!

Comments

• That would be an awesome summer project. Id love to do it, but I don't have any resources lol
  • Haha no worries I'm sure you'll find something else.. I forgot to mention also that I want to make it like those ones with a collar thing, the problem is I don't know how to make a collar. Would anyone happen to know how?
  • I'm the dingbat that made his own tonias.

I wouldn't even know how to describe the process.  I made my first tonia when I was 14 years old.
    No one taught me how to sew.  I just got the manual for the machine.  I practiced with rags and then used another tonia as a model.  I proportioned things relative to size and that was it.
  • The tonia itself is not the problem. I can make a galabya easily. The problem is the embroidery. How did you draw it?
  • I wish we could just draw it on that would be no problem lol
  • [quote author=Amdah link=topic=13449.msg157176#msg157176 date=1340852501]
    I wish we could just draw it on that would be no problem lol

I thought about for 5 minutes and could not find a better word. You may educate me... lol
  • Haha no I didn't mean it sarcastically I actually thought about drawing it.. I have no better word for your post either
  • [quote author=Amdah link=topic=13449.msg157178#msg157178 date=1340853602]
    Haha no I didn't mean it sarcastically I actually thought about drawing it.. I have no better word for your post either

Oh... Well, I guess we are waiting for ILSM's valuable instructions.
  • [quote author=ilovesaintmark link=topic=13449.msg157174#msg157174 date=1340850528]
    I'm the dingbat that made his own tonias.

I wouldn't even know how to describe the process.  I made my first tonia when I was 14 years old.
    No one taught me how to sew.  I just got the manual for the machine.  I practiced with rags and then used another tonia as a model.  I proportioned things relative to size and that was it.

Make a youtube video! (Please.)
  • You make a pattern, different methods:

1.  computer
    2.  sketch on graph paper

Transfer to tissue paper and lightly mark on the fabric, set machine for embroidery and fill-in.

There are embroidery machines by Singer and Brother (and even higher priced ones) that you can do a computer
    drawing, transfer to memory stick, put into machine and it will make the embroidery.

Cross-stitch is a different ballgame.  It takes a long time since it has to be done by hand.

In either case, use an embroidery hoop to stretch the fabric so that the embroidery (whether by hand or machine) does not bunch up and look goofy.
  • I used to make them for my priest also.  After he went to his rest I have not made any for anyone else.

Making my own vestments has been a sacred task for me.  I think about a lot of things as they concern the service as I make them.  Also I listen to chants and try to use the time to memorize spiritual things.  It is a spiritual exercise.

No one taught me.  My mother doesn't know how to use a sewing machine.  My father had bought one and it sat collecting dust until I resurrected it and put it into service.

I also do my own alterations for my suits.  It saves anywhere from $7.50 - $15.00 for trousers.  I guess I'm cheap.
  • How would you use the embroidery hoop on the sleeves and collar?
  • Would you mind posting pics  :D
  • Amdah,

You do not fashion the collar, but keep it as part of the larger uncut cloth, do the embroidery, then cut and fashion/sew the collar to sizing and style.

I do not post pictures or files, since I do not want any electronic stamp to lead back to me.  I like my anonymity.

Guy,

No.

I do disagree with you.  Fr. Bishoy is not the "Very Very Reverend Fr. Bishoy".  To me he is the "Very Very Very Very Very Very Reverend Fr. Bishoy".  I miss him dearly.  I do not think the people of St. Mary--East Brunswick, NJ--will ever realize the magnitude of his fatherhood and priesthood.  His is a soul that one savours as having had the chance to encounter.  I did not make vestments for him (Fr. Bishoy), but one time I did for his dad (the reposed Very Rev. Fr. Demitri).  The tonia I made for him was the one he was given to wear for his last journey.

These are not the "priest" I was alluding in my previous post.
  • I'm sure there is a way to anonymously share photographs, especially within the context of this forum (restrict it to registered members). Since you have such a valuable skill it would be a good thing if you could share this to encourage others.