The Color of The Curtain in the 12th hour of Good Friday

edited December 1969 in Random Issues
I was at a different church this good friday and I saw that at the 12th hour, they switched the patrasheel to the red side and they put up the curtain for the resurrection. I was wondering whether this was right or wrong because my old church left the patrasheel on the blue side and the black curtain up. Is there anything in the Rites of the church that says this should/shouldn't be done?

Comments

• switching to red is right because we kind of switch to an annual rite. we always but a stole on the processional cross, the one we use only in that procession is red, the annual one. changing the curtain is not really right. it is done on bright saturday rather than good friday. changing the altar coverings to the resurrection rite, if churches do so, is fine because of the burial box on the altar.
  • Anba David did it at my church a few years ago. He changed the black curtains to the white ones. We always change them after service for Bright Saturday.
  • The curtain of the main altar is changed to white. Everything else remains the same. This is the rite that is written in our books.
  • As far as i know the curtain shouldnt be changed to red until after the Resurrection Reenactment on Easter as per what happens in the Cathedral. We did the same in my church this year.
  • correction to my previous post *** i meant white.

So during the 12th Hour we switch it to red along with our badrasheens.
    It stays red until the Reenactment
    Switched to white during the reenactment and stays that way till the end of the 50s
  • Christ_rose, not the enactment but bright saturday. everything is changed bright saturday night.
  • [quote author=imikhail link=topic=13174.msg155140#msg155140 date=1335901883]
    The curtain of the main altar is changed to white. Everything else remains the same. This is the rite that is written in our books.
    I've never seen that. Why is it only the main alter curtain?
  • [quote author=peter_saad link=topic=13174.msg155165#msg155165 date=1335921094]
    [quote author=imikhail link=topic=13174.msg155140#msg155140 date=1335901883]
    The curtain of the main altar is changed to white. Everything else remains the same. This is the rite that is written in our books.
    I've never seen that. Why is it only the main alter curtain?

The main altar is a symbol of paradise the dwelling of light. That is why in the 12th hour the deacons go into the altar to pray the paschal praise. When our Lord delivered His spirit, He descended into Hades and brought the souls of the righteous with Him to paradise.

The rest of the sanctuary is not to be dressed with white till Apocalypse during which the whole Church, both the victorious and the struggling ones, celebrate the  conquering of our Lord on death.
  • imikhail, which books says that btw?
  • [quote author=minatasgeel link=topic=13174.msg155167#msg155167 date=1335924361]
    imikhail, which books says that btw?

Not sure what you are asking .

The instructions I mentioned are found in

Dallal Al baskha manuscript of 7arat al room, Algawhara Alnafeesa, tarteeb al bay3a

As to the reason:

The one I mentioned above regarding paradise is mentioned in tarteeb al bay3a and the manuscript of 7arat al room which are more recent than al gawhara al nafeesa by Ibn Sebaa3.

Ibn Sebaa3 does mention a different interpretation:
    The main altar symbolizes the tomb ....

Hope this helps.