Knowing yourself

edited December 1969 in Personal Issues
+

How can i know myself more? I read a quote from St. Augustine,
"How can you draw close to God when you are far from your own self? Grant, Lord, that I may know myself, that I may know Thee.”

I feel like this is something i really need to do, any advice?

May God bless us all Amen

your weak sister in Christ

Comments

•   Humble yourself in following Jesus Christ's commandments: Love God first and love your neighbour as yourself. I think you might find yourself and God if you do this. The beatitudes are good to follow as well. Read the psalms and pray. These things you do on your own as it was a starting point of your free will. If it is good and going in the right direction then I have no doubt that what you do will connect with God's will as well.

God's blessings to you Thanks be to Gos always.
  • You are the image of God (Gen 1:27)
    You are God's child (John 1:12)
    You are Christ's friend (John 15:15 )
    You are united with the Lord (1 Cor. 6:17)
    You are bought with a price (1 Cor. 6:19-20)
    You are a saint (set apart for God). (Eph. 1:1)
    You are a personal witness of Christ. (Acts 1:
    You are the salt & light of the earth (Matt.5:13-14)
    You are a member of the body of Christ (1 Cor 12:27)
    You are free forever from condemnation (Rom. 8: 1-2)
    You are a citizen of Heaven. I am significant (Phil.3:20)
    You are free from any charge against me (Rom. 8:31 -34)
    You are a minister of reconciliation for God (2 Cor.5:17-21)
    You have access to God through the Holy Spirit (Eph. 2:18)
    You are seated with Christ in the heavenly realms (Eph. 2:6)
    You cannot be separated from the love of God (Rom.8:35-39)
    You are established, anointed, sealed by God (2 Cor.1:21-22)
    You are assured all things work together for good (Rom. 8: 28)
    You have been chosen and appointed to bear fruit (John 15:16 )
    You may approach God with freedom and confidence (Eph. 3: 12 )
    You can do all things through Christ who strengthens you (Phil. 4:13)
    You are the branch of the true vine, a channel of His life (John 15: 1-5)
    You are God's temple (1 Cor. 3: 16 ).
    You are complete in Christ (Col. 2: 10)
    You are hidden with Christ in God (Col. 3:3).
  • i think when st. athanasius says "know yourself" and then draw close to God, he means that you must be at peace with yourself. once you have peace within yourself, you can then unite your body, spirit, and mind together and aim for God. however, if your body and spirit are on different levels, then as st. athanasius suggests, it will be difficult to draw close to God.

knowing yourself can also be a humbling experience, knowing that you are dust and ashes, compared to who God is. yet, knowing yourself can also refer to the calling with which everyone is called; know that you are a son of God, seperate, and beloved by God.

in general, knowing yourself at the very basic level is having a good knowledge of your personality, talents, likes, dislikes, goals, and experiences.

at least this is what i've made out of it, hope this helped :)
  • Why don't you take a personality test? :)

In Fr. Matta El Maskeen's book, "The Deep Meaning of Fasting", it is said that "Fasting is a test in which the personality defies the self. It is an exercise in which the self has to be forsaken and resisted by the whole man."

You got 55 days, no rush!
  • I like that TITL :D
  • [quote author=Thanks be to God Always link=topic=13002.msg152849#msg152849 date=1331082697]
    +

How can i know myself more? I read a quote from St. Augustine,
    "How can you draw close to God when you are far from your own self? Grant, Lord, that I may know myself, that I may know Thee.”

I feel like this is something i really need to do, any advice?

May God bless us all Amen

your weak sister in Christ

I think you need to get out of your parent's house, encounter more people, live by yourself. When you go through various different life experiences you will learn ALOT about who you are and thats where the "knowing yourself" comes in sis. God Bless you, this is what helped me. You'll find yourself, don't worry.
  • A lot of people say "you don't know yourself" "you need to figure out who you are and what you want"

I think some people know, but they are in denial
    others are too young and still learning (you had to learn how to talk when you were born)
    and some are just not bright
  • Hi,

I have the same question. I think it is very much a cliche but I believe it made sense. I need to reflect within myself where to start. Reading all those comments is like having answers to my own questions. Thanks for sharing your queries.  :D
  • Xristos Anesti!

This question is quite loaded and people spend a great deal of time putting together well-written books to address it. The question is not merely one of knowing what our personalities are (our likes and dislikes), but is deeply rooted in who we are in relation to God and who we are in relation to the rest of creation. The Orthodox Fathers have a tremendous amount to say on this matter.

I will say this in short: if you do not direct your efforts to finding God, you will never find yourself.

childoforthodoxy