Isaiah's prophecy

"In that day there will be a highway from Egypt to Assyria, and the Assyrian will come into Egypt and the Egyptian into Assyria, and the Egyptians will serve with the Assyrians. In that day Israel will be one of three with Egypt and Assyria; a blessing in the midst of the land, whom the LORD of hosts shall bless, saying, "Blessed is Egypt My people, and Assyria the work of My hands, and Israel My inheritance." (Isa 19:24-25)

Can anybody please tell me more about this prophecy? Is this prophecy figurative or literal? If it is figurative, has it been fulfilled? I know the Assyrian church is Nestorius and is considered heretical and to my own understanding Israel is Jewish. It seems that if this prophecy is not figurative, it will take a LONG time before it is fulfilled.

Comments

• The Syrian Orthodox Church is Assyrian.

There have been several Syrian Patriarchs of Alexandria.

One of the most famous monasteries is 'of the Syrians'.
  • yes, from what i read about 100 to (at least) 600AD there was a lot of closeness between the syriac and coptic churches and the churches in israel / palestine in between these two groups.
    from these areas, many many missionaries went out and blessed many other parts of the world (eg. india - the orthodox church in india still has lots of syriac traditions)

also today we are very close to our brothers in iraq / syria / lebanon and surrounding countries in the hymns and, of course, in the Christian faith.
    for an example i saw on another website, here is some syriac orthodox chant in aramaic:
  • So you guys think that this prophecy has been fulfilled?
  • [quote author=mabsoota link=topic=12991.msg152741#msg152741 date=1330894838]
    yes, from what i read about 100 to (at least) 600AD there was a lot of closeness between the syriac and coptic churches and the churches in israel / palestine in between these two groups.
    from these areas, many many missionaries went out and blessed many other parts of the world (eg. india - the orthodox church in india still has lots of syriac traditions)

also today we are very close to our brothers in iraq / syria / lebanon and surrounding countries in the hymns and, of course, in the Christian faith.
    for an example i saw on another website, here is some syriac orthodox chant in aramaic:

I thought Iraq was nestorian
  • Most of the Syrian orthodox in the uk are from Iraq.
  • there are 'nestorians' there too, but many of the others are orthodox. the 'nestorians' prefer to be called 'assyrian church of the east'. we are not in communion with them, and we don't consider them to be 'orthodox'. may God give them His light.
  • Just to be technical, the "Assyrian Church of the East" (along with their counterparts in the Assyrian Catholic Church) have all claimed they are not Nestorian. Some have openly excommunicated Nestorius. They have sought reconciliation with the Coptic Orthodox Church but the Coptic Church still considers them Nestorian.

May God grant us all wisdom.
  • But I have heard that the Assyrian Church of the East still venerates Nestorious as a saint.
  • [quote author=Remnkemi link=topic=12991.msg152774#msg152774 date=1330953244]
    Just to be technical, the "Assyrian Church of the East" (along with their counterparts in the Assyrian Catholic Church) have all claimed they are not Nestorian. Some have openly excommunicated Nestorius. They have sought reconciliation with the Coptic Orthodox Church but the Coptic Church still considers them Nestorian.

May God grant us all wisdom.

If they openly excommunicated Nestorius, then why do we still consider them Nestorius?