hymn search; khen efran

edited December 1969 in Hymns Discussion
dear hymn lovers,
can anyone tell me where to find the lyrics for the 'khen efran' (in the name of the Lord) hymn that is sung together with the 'axios' for a new priest, newly baptised person etc. i am not sure if it is the same hymn, and i was trying to make out the words on sunday when our new priest joined us.
there was a big group of people, no microphone, and (i am sure!) many people joining in who were not sure of the words, so it sounded a bit like 'aaaa khqzfgeyeeee opwstmzodnfauuu' and then axios for saint mary, our church's saint, and (what sounded like!) other random people, clergy and saints added in.

what cracks me up is i was translating for my friend who knows even less coptic and arabic than me, and trying to make it make sense to him!
i love my church, but it makes me laugh sometimes
;)

Comments

• [quote author=mabsoota link=topic=12972.msg152544#msg152544 date=1330374864]
    can anyone tell me where to find the lyrics for the 'khen efran' (in the name of the Lord)

Lol, name of the Father ;)
  • For a one priest: Axios axios axios, peniout (...) pi-epresveteros = Worthy (3), father (...) the priest.
    For baptized male child: Axios, axios axios, (...) ou-ekhrestianos.
    For baptized female child: Axia axia axia, (...) ou-ekhrestianos.
  • [quote author=minatasgeel link=topic=12972.msg152549#msg152549 date=1330380211]
    For a one priest: Axios axios axios, peniout (...) pi-epresveteros = Worthy (3), father (...) the priest.
    For baptized male child: Axios, axios axios, (...) ou-ekhrestianos.
    For baptized female child: Axia axia axia, (...) ou-ekhrestianos.

Did you deliberately write the same thing twice (ou-ekhristianos)? I guess ou-ekhristianas doesn't sound right.

I need to be more educated in Coptic... perhaps Mabsoota can teach me ;)
  • Ouekhrestiana (spelt with a hada in the end) it is
    Oujai khan ebshois
  • Mina.

You're fired from posting Coptic advice on tasbeha.org.

Ophadece.

Thank you.
  • thanks, coptic and proud, i couldn't find it on here, that's great.
    titL, yr coptic is not bad enough to take lessons from me!
    ;)
    this is why i laugh when i end up translating when everyone else is too shy.
    i give people 30 - 40% of what's being said! (unless it's tasbeha when i can give only 5%)
  • [quote author=TITL link=topic=12972.msg152587#msg152587 date=1330445528]
    Mina.

You're fired from posting Coptic advice on tasbeha.org.

like you can do that.....

i am sorry i had the wrong word. I thought about changing it to ooekhrestianee but i wasn't sure.
  • Mina,
    Winding me up you are, aren't you? Ok, taken as a joke.. hehe.. I'm kidding too
    Oujai
  • [quote author=ophadece link=topic=12972.msg152602#msg152602 date=1330469048]
    Mina,
    Winding me up you are, aren't you? Ok, taken as a joke.. hehe.. I'm kidding too
    Oujai

well if i don't, you wouldn't get the urge to always prove me wrong, making you look into coptic more  :D.....

btw, i still have a project open for someone to check coptic text....you have time for it?
  • *raising hand*

Pick ME!!!
  • [quote author=TITL link=topic=12972.msg152604#msg152604 date=1330469994]
    *raising hand*

Pick ME!!!

I WANT TO!!! but you have to promise here that you will be working HARD ON IT?!
  • Lets make a deal.

You get 5 people to register for Fr. Peter's course, and I'll do this Coptic assignment.

Promise.

(PS: you have it easy, I was going to ask for a Shoutbox)
  • [quote author=TITL link=topic=12972.msg152626#msg152626 date=1330485209]
    Lets make a deal.

You get 5 people to register for Fr. Peter's course, and I'll do this Coptic assignment.

Promise.

there somthing you need to know......i don't need the people to help, they need the blessing of the service. the work will be done if God wants it to be......nothing me or anyone else can chagne that.
  • [quote author=minatasgeel link=topic=12972.msg152627#msg152627 date=1330485833]
    [quote author=TITL link=topic=12972.msg152626#msg152626 date=1330485209]
    Lets make a deal.

Promise.

there somthing you need to know......i don't need the people to help, they need the blessing of the service. the work will be done if God wants it to be......nothing me or anyone else can chagne that.

I would love to help (for nothing :P), but I am not good with Coptic.
  • [quote author=Copticandproud link=topic=12972.msg152632#msg152632 date=1330487884]

get better. my advice to you, saturday tasbeha every week and ask them to say coptic.
  • [quote author=minatasgeel link=topic=12972.msg152627#msg152627 date=1330485833]
    [quote author=TITL link=topic=12972.msg152626#msg152626 date=1330485209]
    Lets make a deal.

Promise.

I was giving you the opportunity of a service in return so you can also receive a blessing.

Oh well, too bad.
  • why bargain....
  • There is no such word as "Ouekhristianas" or "ouekrhistiany". It is not correct. "ekhristianas" is not a Coptic or Greek word. The correct Greek phrase is "Axia, axia, axia (...) o christianos" and it means "You (female) are worthy, you are worthy, you are worthy (...) the Christian. ouekristianos is the Coptic word that means "a Christian". In both Greek and Coptic, christianos is a masculine noun, even if the person is female. (Just like English and unlike Arabic). 
  • I THOUGHT SOOO!!!
  • [quote author=minatasgeel link=topic=12972.msg152633#msg152633 date=1330488710]
    [quote author=Copticandproud link=topic=12972.msg152632#msg152632 date=1330487884]

get better. my advice to you, saturday tasbeha every week and ask them to say coptic.

I am working. I can sing tasbeha in Coptic. (or at least I thought so untill I saw you guys' debates about pronunciations.) Just not translate.
  • I spoke too soon. There is a feminine and masculine form.

In Greek:
    ἀξία ἀξία ἀξία (...) ἥ Χριστιανή is the feminine nominative singular.
    ἄξιοι ἄξιοι ἄξιοι (...) και (...) αι Χριστιαναί is the feminine nominative plural (use this if there is more than one girl). (You could use ἄξιαι instead)
    ἄξιος ἄξιος ἄξιος (...) ο Χριστιανός  is the masculine nominative singular
    ἄξιοι ἄξιοι ἄξιοι (...) και (...) οἰ Χριστιανοί is the masculine nominative plural (use this last one if there is more than one boy or boy and girl) (You could use ἀξίω instead, not ἄξιος)

In Coptic pronunciation, it comes out to this:
    The feminine singular y ,rictiany is pronounced "e ekhristiane" (GB) or "a ekristiana" (OB)
    The feminine plural ai ,rictianai is pronounced "e ekhristiane" (GB) or "a ekristiana" (OB)
    The masculine singular o ,rictianoc is pronounced "o ekhristianos" (GB) or "o ekristianos" (OB)
    The masculine plural oi ,rictianoi is pronounced "e ekhristiane" (GB) or "e ekristiane" (OB)

I need to double check on the Greek. I'll get back to everyone if there was a mistake in the information above.
  • ;D 8) 8) 8) 8)
  • went to a baptism today!
    :D
    thanks for the help with this, because of u, i knew what they were singing (and was mumbling along in bad coptic)
    ;)