Living A Chirstian Life

edited December 1969 in Youth Corner
Many of my friends are not interested in living a Christian Life, I want to help them but how do I help them?

Comments

• I don't know what God will do with such rebellious creatures but having a bad history is always not wise
    They have angered God and will live with the consequences of the devouring fire
    I doubt they would ever be exalted if they are not worthy and the righteous will continue to prosper in His kingdom.
    But if God pitied them He will raise them up and it is up to God to see if they are worthy of complete forgiveness or forgiveness at all
    Pray for them for it is a fearful thing to fall in the hands of the living God
    Bible says do not pray for the dead or weep for them weep for the sinner for they shall be exiled from their country

Maybe my advice is harmful

If you planned to be annoying please stop and why are you not asking your priest

Does a lake of fire seem like a good place to go?

Without doubt God will say to such creatures
    Most assuredly I say to you I do not know you

The righteous on the other hand will rule over the unrighteousness so long as they remain so and God sees good at least for those who are in heaven

Rebuke a scoffer and he will hate you teach a wise man and he will still be wiser

Remember not to be self righteous but Glorify God by your returned love to Him

You know I am one of the only ones in this foru
    Who would care to give a non repetitive answer

If I am wrong you will share some of my blame for disturbing me with such questions and wasting my time because you know I will be tempted to care about this topic and feel bad if I do not reply because I know there are people far from God who need help

And now I am blamed for stopping you from asking questions when it may help you or other people
  • I think you have missed understood my question and I don't mean to be annoying to anyone or to offend other but rather on advice for me to help my friends.what I'm saying is that my friends aren't doing the right thing and like someone taught me that is one is doing something that isn't right you should tell them that it's not really the right thing so I want to help them because I care for them and I don't want them to go to hell.
    I apologies if I offended you or annoyed you I'm a sinner and understand nothing. Forgive
  • I forgive you. Sorry I cannot help

• That's fine I apprichate the help though :)
  • u can be a good example, and also try to be humble, so yr friends don't think u r above them. like don't let them know how much u r fasting, and when they gossip, don't tell them off for gossiping, but instead try to turn the conversation to something good.
  • Well, if they are negatively influencing you, then they shouldn't be called friends. There's a saying, "I can tell you who you are by knowing your friends". Also, going by example is the best way. Don't "preach" because it turns people off. If they don't want to know God then there's no way you will change that, all you can do is live a Christian life and lead by your actions.

Brethren, if a man is overtaken in any trespass, you who are spiritual restore such a one in a spirit of gentleness, considering yourself lest you also be tempted. -Galations 6:1
  • Thanks for the help guys but say like at school I dont hang out with them a lot but when I doi feel like they hate me and don't give me the chance to even Mention God's name. If I want to stop staying with them how do I tell them and like I don't want them to go to hell but rather to change so God can give them a chance.
  • [quote author=marinacopt link=topic=12957.msg152478#msg152478 date=1330212863]
    Thanks for the help guys but say like at school I dont hang out with them a lot but when I doi feel like they hate me and don't give me the chance to even Mention God's name. If I want to stop staying with them how do I tell them and like I don't want them to go to hell but rather to change so God can give them a chance.

it doesn't matter what you do, you can't make somebody christian unless they are seeking God (unless you use a Muslim method in which you tell them to do so at gun point). All you can do is be a good model and if they wish to be like this then they will seek God. Actions speak louder than words.
  • Thanks for the help haha the Muslim method. So if they are kinda of changing me becuase I feel like I'm two different people. How do u suggest i stop staying with them like what do I say to them? (sorry for so many questions)
  • [quote author=marinacopt link=topic=12957.msg152482#msg152482 date=1330225531]
    Thanks for the help haha the Muslim method. So if they are kinda of changing me becuase I feel like I'm two different people. How do u suggest i stop staying with them like what do I say to them? (sorry for so many questions)

There's no such thing as too many questions. That's why this site was made, so people could benefit. So don't hold back any questions.

The fact that you are acting like two different people isn't good at all. If you do it long enough then you won't know how to be real with people and it will cause a lot of issues. I talk from first hand experience. The way to get away from them is simply to just not be with them. What i mean is, you don't have to cut them off completely, just limit the time you spend with them. For example, say hi or bye when you see them, and if you have a conversation with them, make sure it isn't gossip or anything bad.

When they talk about bad things, don't laugh or make any gesture that will let them think you like it. If they see that you are uncomfortable with the topic most likely they will stop because they now know what kind of person you are. They might  actually ask you why you are uncomfortable and that's a good time to tell them about Christianity and why it is wrong for you to do whatever it is that is wrong.

The main thing is, always act like a Christian. A major habit of A LOT of people is to be Christian on Sundays. Honestly, it is a lot easier to say then to do, but you must constantly be wanting to make Christianity your lifestyle not your "religion" (i think you know what i mean by "religion"). Just always remember that God is always next you. In the end, you will be judged for everything you have said so make sure that you don't go off course and fall into the sin.

With friendships, the main sin is almost always caused by the tongue. Sometimes, we tend to gossip a lot with friends because we fall confident in them, or just bring up inappropriate topics that aren't supposed to be talked about.

Also, even though i am telling you this at the end of the post, it is the most important. ALWAYS PRAY. Prayer is the most important aspect of living the Christian life. You won't get anywhere without prayer because this is how we communicate with God. Without God we would be nothing. Always remember that it isn't you that is defeating the devil. It is only by God's help that we are able to conquer temptations and the devils. He gave us authority through His Name.

May God be with you in your journey.
  • You're right what you said I am actually going to try to practice in my life. But there's also one other thing, like especially I go to a coptic school and stuff but the girls aren't really interested in this stuff and I hate being one of the only ones that is actually is interested, like, don't get me wrong I love being orthodox I love Coptic, I love my church but I just don't like the fact that theres hardly anyone that's interested in what Im interested in. (I not being up myself or having pride but i just wish people were more interested.

Thanks btw
    May God reward your efforts and bless you.
  • I want to apologise for saying having a bad history is not wise, I meant like if you are going to a job interview having bad grades is not always good. You must prove yourself worthy
  • I would like to add to this topic the concept about Jesus warning if you do not receive a Christian and you treat them as strangers to be treated with contempt He will not own you as His own
    If you look down on a person and do not befriend him and love him Jesus Christ will deny having any relationship with you and why should you be allowed in heaven when you die if you have no true love for his people I think you may remain lost until you repent from your heart
    This is according to Matthew 25 and he who receives one little child like this in my name receives me
    So make friends which will support you in the kingdom
    A righteous man has humility and honor's those who fear the Lord

Because what shall it profit the man if he gains the whole world and is himself destroyed or lost
    God will comfort and wipe away all tears from the eyes of those who would never choose rebellion on their own
    And will do what He sees is good with all people

Please read your bible people
  • [quote author=marinacopt link=topic=12957.msg152489#msg152489 date=1330237593]
    You're right what you said I am actually going to try to practice in my life. But there's also one other thing, like especially I go to a coptic school and stuff but the girls aren't really interested in this stuff and I hate being one of the only ones that is actually is interested, like, don't get me wrong I love being orthodox I love Coptic, I love my church but I just don't like the fact that theres hardly anyone that's interested in what Im interested in. (I not being up myself or having pride but i just wish people were more interested.

Thanks btw
    May God reward your efforts and bless you.

I know exactly how you feel. That's why you need to pray that God will help you find the right person to be friends with. Having many friends isn't always a good thing, but having one good friend is a treasure as Sirach puts it in his book Wisdom of Sirach in the Deutrocanonical books.

Honestly, I spent almost my whole freshman year trying to find this magical friend that is supposed to just come to me. I didn't pray about it because i didn't think is was such a big deal. I ended up befriending the worst kinds of people(forgive me for the phrase). I ended up being friends with a drug dealer (i cut him off once i found out), then i was friends with a boy who stole people's ipods and sold them (i also cut him off once i found out).

What i found out by the grace of God is that you don't need a friend who is "cool" as we put it. Or you don't need to be friends with a person because people will look at you better if you are associated with him/her. What you need is a friend who has YOUR MORAL VALUES. This is the most important thing. For example, you don't want a friend who cusses, or a friend who makes dirty jokes, or a friend who disrespects women/men or their mom or dad or authoritative figures in general. They won't be a good influence on you and you will lose whatever spiritual gains you have made.

Honestly, there's no easy way to find the perfect friend. And you must remember that nobody will be perfect, but you will like being around them and they will build you spirtually.

But please, I know we say to pray on these forums and sometimes it's used so much that we just say it because it has become a common phrase, but PLEASE PRAY. Without prayer YOU WON'T GET ANYWHERE. You NEED God's help. Please promise that you will pray, because i don't want you to fall into the problems i had.

May God keep the evil people away from you and manifest the right friend for you that will help build you in the faith. Amen.
  • [quote author=user157 link=topic=12957.msg152494#msg152494 date=1330263291]
    I want to apologise for saying having a bad history is not wise, I meant like if you are going to a job interview having bad grades is not always good. You must prove yourself worthy

User 157 it's ok we all do mistakes, I'm still in high school I dont have a job yet  :)

Geomike thank you so much for your advice it will hphopefully help me, so is it ok if I'm friends with a boy rather than a girl because I know this guy will help me better in my spiritual life?

God bless you (sorry for all these question)
  • [quote author=marinacopt link=topic=12957.msg152514#msg152514 date=1330321618]
    [quote author=user157 link=topic=12957.msg152494#msg152494 date=1330263291]
    I want to apologise for saying having a bad history is not wise, I meant like if you are going to a job interview having bad grades is not always good. You must prove yourself worthy

User 157 it's ok we all do mistakes, I'm still in high school I dont have a job yet  :)

Geomike thank you so much for your advice it will hphopefully help me, so is it ok if I'm friends with a boy rather than a girl because I know this guy will help me better in my spiritual life?

God bless you (sorry for all these question)

Well honestly, this isn't "wrong" but not everyone is perfect. Maybe you won't have incorrect feelings toward him, but you have to remember, he is a guy. I am not saying that guys are bad, (i m a guy), but it's just our nature to have these bad feelings towards the other gender. So while it isn't bad having a guy as a friend, he shouldn't be your closest friend.

A girl can't talk to a guy about a lot of matters. If she ever has a problem, sometimes it isn't wise to ask a guy because you might put him through a lot of temptations even though you had good intentions.

So, in conclusion, it isn't good to have a guy as your closest friend, but it doesn't mean that it is wrong to have a guy friend. It is perfectly fine and normal to have a guy friend, just be extra careful and make sure that you don't accidently do something that might jeapordize his purity.

This is a very controversial topic, so i would like ur opinions on this. (i am talking to everyone)
  • Sorry to intrude but no one needs to be helping you in your spiritual life
    it is your responsibility to help yourself
    Plus I was apologising to all not just you
  • [quote author=user157 link=topic=12957.msg152517#msg152517 date=1330322381]
    Sorry to intrude but no one needs to be helping you in your spiritual life
    it is your responsibility to help yourself
    Plus I was apologising to all not just you

On the contrary User, we are all one as stated several times in the book of Acts. We all make up the body of Christ, so when the other is in distress we should help them.
  • Not if it is the other gender
    There are probably bible verses that speak of this like when st Paul said I do not permit a woman to teach a man and sin came through eve
    If a person is not going to God they do not deserve to be helped because they are glorifying other people instead of God only if it is in a supervised environment like camps or church
    St paul said I do not permit a man to touch another woman
    and sin has cast down many wounded and all who were slain we're strong man
    I think it is fine if you are old enough like finished Uni but not when u are in high school
    In high school I chatted on msn about God to a girl we were both talking I was getting feelings but thank God we never let it go far because she said she was not interested in dating now and it seems she did not want to be my friend anyway
    No sin was involved but it could have if I kept talking to a lot of girls
  • Thanks for the advice guys. Plus I just dont get what wrong with helping people in their spiritual life isnt that y we have this site.
  • Here is what St. John Chrysostom says, about leading others to Christ:

"Nothing is more frigid than a Christian who does not care about the salvation of others. You cannot plead the excuse of poverty here; the widow who gave her two mites will stand to accuse you. Peter said, “Silver or gold I have none.” Paul was so poor he often went hungry, lacking the necessary food. You cannot allege lack of education or preparation. They were unlearned men. You cannot plead infirmity. Timothy was often laid low by sickness and the Apostle had to counsel him to take a little wine for his stomach. Every one can profit his neighbor if he will do what he can.

Do not say, It is impossible for me to lead others to the faith. If you are a Christian, it is impossible for it not to be so. The natural properties of things cannot be denied. This witnessing to others is part of the very nature of being a Christian. It would be easier for the sun to cease to shine and give forth heat than for a Christian not to send forth light; easier for the light to be darkness than for this to be so."
  • Should we fear if we don't preach we will not be saved?
  • [quote author=user157 link=topic=12957.msg152534#msg152534 date=1330346254]
    Should we fear if we don't preach we will not be saved?

No. Your actions preach more than your words. The Bible tells us that no matter how many people we get to Christ but we have not love, then we won't be saved.