Children's Lent/Fast Hymns

edited December 1969 in Random Issues
I have a hymn class for children 2nd grade and under and I was wondering if I can get some hymn suggestions to teach them. We taught them small things like "Ni Cherobim" "Je fesmaroot" "Zoxa Patri". Lent and fasting and Passion Week is coming up and I hoped to teach them season-related hymns. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Note: Very very young children*

Comments

• Apenchois is a good one.
  • [quote author=Copticandproud link=topic=12881.msg151499#msg151499 date=1328500051]
    Apenchois is a good one.

Too young I would think
  • Yeah, they're definitely too young for Apenshois (I think)

Teach them "Je Peniot"
  • [quote author=Copticandproud link=topic=12881.msg151499#msg151499 date=1328500051]
    Apenchois is a good one.

doubt it, most kids 4th grade and under can learn apenchoic easily. they've heard the tune before, all they need to learn are the words and some guidance.
  • They're 2nd grade and under. Yeah, Apenchoic is too tough on them. But I think I'm going to teach them Je fesmaroot (Lenten tune) which comes right after Je Penyot. I think Je Penyot would be too tough (unless I'm getting the wrong tune for Je Penyot, Can I get a link?) Thanks! Any other suggestions?
  • Apenchois isn't too difficult for them.

By this age (7/8), they should already know 'thok te tee gom' in 2 languages and the communion response "Jesus Christ fasted for us 40 days and 40 nights" and should start learning Apenchois, Je Peniot, the Madeeha "Blessed are those who have mercy", and the doxology tune.
    By 10/11 years old, they should be familiar with all this and start learning Weekday hymns (ie Alleluia Ei-e-ee, Nefsenty, Somatos).
  • [quote author=caji link=topic=12881.msg151504#msg151504 date=1328508255]
    [quote author=Copticandproud link=topic=12881.msg151499#msg151499 date=1328500051]
    Apenchois is a good one.

doubt it, most kids 4th grade and under can learn apenchoic easily. they've heard the tune before, all they need to learn are the words and some guidance.

Yeah, my friend's brother is in 1st grade and he already knows the whole thing. I think by this age they should learn hymns on that level so they can get to weekdays hymns and melismatic hymns by the beginning of highschool.
  • [quote author=TITL link=topic=12881.msg151533#msg151533 date=1328562824]
    Apenchois isn't too difficult for them.

By this age (7/8), they should already know 'thok te tee gom' in 2 languages and the communion response "Jesus Christ fasted for us 40 days and 40 nights" and should start learning Apenchois, Je Peniot, the Madeeha "Blessed are those who have mercy", and the doxology tune.
    By 10/11 years old, they should be familiar with all this and start learning Weekday hymns (ie Alleluia Ei-e-ee, Nefsenty, Somatos).

You beat me to it ;)
  • Ummm. Musical aptitude is not linear and not triggered later in life. We have this misconception that a child can only learn a very simple and quick hymn and then take a linear step forward every year until they become competent to learn hard, long hymns later in life. Education psychologist generally believe that any person has the potential to learn the hard, long material at any point of life, regardless of age. It is not the age that prevents a 2nd grader from learning Pekethronos. It is the environmental influences and personal influences. Environmental influences include peer pressure, parent's influence and value, education environment, etc. Personal influences include desire to learn and improve, desire to succeed for parents, desire to be holy, etc.

The younger a person is the more desire and capability he/she has to learn very complicated hymns or material. As a person ages, it is the environmental factors and desire that change (in cycles and not linear). So a 2nd grader can learn Meghalo but he may not want to. He may want to at high school. The potential to learn remains relatively stable throughout life.

I know this is not what you are asking. But don't be afraid to raise the bar high. They have the potential. You just have to control environmental influences and nurture personal influences. This will need cooperation from parents, co-servants and clergy. But don't think 2nd graders are too young to learn anything unless we create the environment that says they are too young.
  • [quote author=Remnkemi link=topic=12881.msg151565#msg151565 date=1328627536]
    ...we create the environment that says they are too young.

Unfortunately, we do.
  • [quote author=Remnkemi link=topic=12881.msg151565#msg151565 date=1328627536]
    Ummm. Musical aptitude is not linear and not triggered later in life. We have this misconception that a child can only learn a very simple and quick hymn and then take a linear step forward every year until they become competent to learn hard, long hymns later in life. Education psychologist generally believe that any person has the potential to learn the hard, long material at any point of life, regardless of age. It is not the age that prevents a 2nd grader from learning Pekethronos. It is the environmental influences and personal influences. Environmental influences include peer pressure, parent's influence and value, education environment, etc. Personal influences include desire to learn and improve, desire to succeed for parents, desire to be holy, etc.

The younger a person is the more desire and capability he/she has to learn very complicated hymns or material. As a person ages, it is the environmental factors and desire that change (in cycles and not linear). So a 2nd grader can learn Meghalo but he may not want to. He may want to at high school. The potential to learn remains relatively stable throughout life.

I know this is not what you are asking. But don't be afraid to raise the bar high. They have the potential. You just have to control environmental influences and nurture personal influences. This will need cooperation from parents, co-servants and clergy. But don't think 2nd graders are too young to learn anything unless we create the environment that says they are too young.

I think "personal influences" play a small role when compared to "environmental influences," particularly education. A 2nd grader may desire to learn Meghalo, but may be incapable because they can't memorize all the 'hazzats.' As a Alhan teacher you can't contol the environmental influences. You can't get the kids enrolled in a better school or get him a private tutor, etc.

I serve 1st grade kids and some are far brighter than others. Some can memorize hymns faster and easier. Some can hardly read, others can very well.

So when teaching a diverse group it is best not to pitch the ball to high. This will embarrass some kids and their parents. It is better to teach them something they can all learn and to give extra work to those with more potential.

• [quote author=Andrew link=topic=12881.msg151585#msg151585 date=1328650481]

So when teaching a diverse group it is best not to pitch the ball to high. This will embarrass some kids and their parents. It is better to teach them something they can all learn and to give extra work to those with more potential.

[quote author=TITL link=topic=12881.msg151533#msg151533 date=1328562824]
    Apenchois isn't too difficult for them.

Thanks for the many suggestions, but everyone was concentrating on the part where I said 2nd grade (age 7 or 8). There are many in the class who are age 3-6 as well. Actually, there is only a few that are in 2nd or 1st grade. Apenchois and such hymns would be difficult to teach those at such a young age. Like Andrew said, many would be disappointed. Some will learn quick, some very slow.

But, thanks for those suggestions!
  • Teach them Nefsenti
  • [quote author=Khas. link=topic=12881.msg151663#msg151663 date=1328965991]
    Teach them Nefsenti

I do not think that they would benfit as much from weekdays hymns because they have school and are probably not going to attend weekdays liturgy.
  • Teach them the first part of thok tate gom