Catholic Church Sexual Abuse - Orthodox Response?

Hi,

Again, today in the news, it appears that another priest has been found to have abused children.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-16543091

Another abuse case in Belgium was recorded on tape by the victim where the Cardinal of Belgium (defending his bishop who had sexually abused a victim) appealed to the victim to NOT drag the bishop's name in the mud.

I know that this website is for the Orthodox Church and the Catholic IS NOT the Orthodox Church, but i just have a small question:

Where does this leave the Roman Catholic Church. If this was a sad case of one small priest, from one small town, it could be brushed off, but given the magnitude of this, and the cover-up the RCC has done, then what really is their credibility?

Have they lost all credibility??? How can they reach out to normal christians?

I'd have thought that after the inquisition and medieval history of the RCC, that they would be more inclined now to be spiritual more..

Would you agree though that these events show a lack of discipleship in the Church???
Is it right that the Church covered these things up?

180,000 catholics, in 2010 renounced their faith and revoked their baptism. This is up 40% from the year before that.

I'm just interested in the Orthodox Church's response to this: surely, with respect to building any kind unity with the RCC, this is a show stopper?? Would you not agree?

Comments

• If a High School top Cheerleader made a mistake, people will only think she is human-- she won't lose her credibility in front of her peers.

I think Roman Catholics are the High School Cheerleaders; no matter what they do, people will still love them.
  • I am sure the majority of Catholics do not condone the priest's behavior or the cover up
  • This is not how all Catholic churches are. We shouldn't see this news article then assume that all Catholic priests are immoral. The issue is that the Catholic priests aren't allowed to marry.

Our Church didn't allow priests to marry either, but then later the Holy Synod agreed, after seeing issues in other churches, that the priest should be married because then he will have his love on one person and he won't go other places trying to do bad things.
  • Orthodox Response:  It is bad.
  • [quote author=geomike link=topic=12802.msg150640#msg150640 date=1326848193]
    This is not how all Catholic churches are. We shouldn't see this news article then assume that all Catholic priests are immoral. The issue is that the Catholic priests aren't allowed to marry.

Our Church didn't allow priests to marry either, but then later the Holy Synod agreed, after seeing issues in other churches, that the priest should be married because then he will have his love on one person and he won't go other places trying to do bad things.

Orthodox priests have always been married. Even our bishops were once married (as recorded in the book of Acts) but this eventually changed as the bishops were eventually chosen from the monastic community.
  • Parish Priests in the West also used to be married until late. Certainly in England it was not until the Middle Ages that many Orthodox practices - such as married priests, baptism by immersion and communion in both kinds were slowly eradicated.
  • But, for the COC, has the RCC lost all credibility?

For them to have hidden the abuse ? For their bishops to be even engaged in such acts?

How should they be viewed?
  • Why has the RCC lost all credibility?

It is a huge organisation and mistakes have been made in dealing with sin and crime. But the bishops, priests and laity I know have not been involved. They are as shocked and angry as others.

There are cases of abuse in all organisations and communities, and some of these have been handled very wrongly. But it doesn't mean that every organisation is at fault. Those involved in abuse are usually very devious and controlling.

There are Orthodox bishops and abbots who are also accused of such things.