Anxiety

edited December 1969 in Personal Issues
Lately, I've been extremely stressed out with school, work, family, and a bunch of others things. I feel like I can never just relax. I'm always anxious and anticipating the worst outcomes in EVERYTHING.

I'm a regular guy, no depression or anything, it just seems that I always have something that I'm worried or scared about.

My doctor prescribed me an anxiety medication, but I promised myself not to take it because I feel like it would make be a bad Christian. I go to church every single oppurtunity I have, take communion, serve. What am I missing? What is the Orthodox perspective on anxiety medications? Thanks.

Comments

• I'm not the official Orthodox voice on this site, only the Guardian of Credibility, but I don't think the pills will make you a bad Christian. I would take them if I were in your case.
    Being scared/worried all the time doesn't sound normal.

Definitely do whatever Abouna/your parents tell you to do.
  • medication is not wrong... if you were to go for anything else, lets say back pain, and the doctor prescribes you pain killers, would you take it?

I hope your answer would be a "yes" or you will be anti medication in general, which is wrong for the bible praises the mixers of herbs (pharmacists) and physicians, even one of the disciples, Luke, was an artist and a physician.

but due to it being medicine for psychological cure we have a hard time... but if you have anxiety, the medication will just have you mellow down, just like a pain killer would, if you have muscle spasm or whatever it is.   

My opinion, as your priest, as your parents, as your doctor, as any professional who would help you, the answer should all be take the medication, God gave you a way to fix a problem, its your job to follow along with all those want your well being to follow along. 

you mentioned everything, but where is your communication with God?  I can go to church everyday, I can take communion everyday, I can serve everyday... but these are normal things that all of us should do, but where is your private time with God... David prayed seven times a day... but aside from the seven times, he prayed and sang and praised God, that's how we have all these beautiful psalms. prayer does not mean only in church, prayer does not mean only agpeya, prayer is communication... to be with God and converse, and have a dialogue with God.
  • But what if you have anxiety and depression all of the time? You feel that you can't do anything and your just as worthless as the dirt that is not useful in anything. You don't have medication but you are depressed to the fact that your self-esteem and confidence is shattered. You feel helpless and like no one understands.

What should you do then?
  • [quote author=CopticStrength link=topic=12716.msg149341#msg149341 date=1324445056]
    But what if you have anxiety and depression all of the time? You feel that you can't do anything and your just as worthless as the dirt that is not useful in anything. You don't have medication but you are depressed to the fact that your self-esteem and confidence is shattered. You feel helpless and like no one understands.

What should you do then?

If you are feeling like that, make sure you go and see your doctor. It could well be clinical depression, in which case you should take the doctor's prescription on the antidepressant he decides is best for you.

But simultaneously, make sure you consult the Physician of our souls and bodies, the Lord Jesus Christ himself. He is the hope of the hopeless, the helper of the helpless, the harbour in the storms of life. Remember how much he loves you, and how much he blesses you, and how he does not wish you to dwell in sorrow but in happiness. Remember how you are a son of God bought at a precious price, the price of his own Blood. Remember that after this life he has promised us an eternal life, where no sorrow nor grief nor fatigue exists but that he will wipe all tears from our eyes. 

Try to pray, but if you are to depressed to do so, you don't have to do it alone. Go and talk to your spiritual father, or your parents, or someone spiritually mature who you trust. The most important thing is never to feel alone, so make sure you tell someone that you're feeling low. Someone like your FOC, someone you trust. And God willing, you will be back to yourself in no time.
  • [quote author=CopticStrength link=topic=12716.msg149341#msg149341 date=1324445056]
    But what if you have anxiety and depression all of the time? You feel that you can't do anything and your just as worthless as the dirt that is not useful in anything. You don't have medication but you are depressed to the fact that your self-esteem and confidence is shattered. You feel helpless and like no one understands.

What should you do then?
    it's not that bad..im not depressed at all. It's just that I always have something on my mind or something worrying me.
  • Thanks everyone! :)

What should you do then?

my beloved, if you have depression all the time, and always anxious, then you have to find the root of the problem... sometimes that's due to putting ourselves in situations that are beyond our capabilities... which will cause anxiety, and in return cause a failure.... which will cause depression, and in return cause self esteem and confidence to be lowered because of the failure.

so think of all the challenges you are putting or setting yourself into, and you have to be realistic in perusing it... I will give you an example... I take a class that is much higher than my level, I study, I work on this class as hard as I can, but due to my level, I just dont get the material, while all the others are fine with it. I will start thinking I'm stupid, I'm worthless, no matter how much I study I still cant keep up with the class... and in return end up failing the class. But what should have been done is, I take the right courses that are at my level, leading up to this course, right?!

so plan things in your life realistically, and that should help.

another thing that could be the cause, is due to my self esteem, I fail... lets use an example... I'm always told I'm stupid, by others or by myself... I take a course that is at my level, but because I accepted that I'm stupid, I feel like there is no hope for me... and even when I study and do all my work, my mind has come to think that I'm stupid and a failure... which believe it or not will end up effecting my study and making me actually act as if I'm stupid or a failure... that is due to you being called stupid all the time when you were younger, more than likely by people you respect, people like your parents, teachers, older siblings  and so on.

best way to deal with this is of course acknowledging that you are not stupid... and by looking at your success though your life. 
  • I am currently studying Psychology in school but I am not therapist...yet. In my opinion I believe any kind of medications should be strictly used in severe cases. In psychiatry, they are quick to give medication because that is the corner of psychology they are dealing with. But if you talk to an eclectic psychologist he/she will tell you and try to use different kind if therapies to relax you. My personal advice would be to first pray with your heart and keep a tight relationship with Christ, keep a certain time to relax doing something that calms you down, and be healthy (your diet, sleep, and exercise)